Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing help / knocking noise when turning

Just looking for some pointers here -

It seems like since its got colder, everytime I start the car and turn the wheel full lock - for example to reverse out of somewhere - there is this unusual knocking/clicking noise. This noise however goes away after driving a bit or the car has warmed up..what is it? I have owned the car since summer so not usually sure what the cold weather can do to it.

I'm also way past the due date for the next servicing. Its at 73K miles now (last serviced at 60k) and 10 years old - what sort of costs would I be looking for a full service at a dealership assuming nothing needs replacing? What are the costs for replacing the pads on it as I've also started getting metallic squealing lately when braking

--I should also mention that it is due for the recalls. Haven't done either of them yet, can I use this as a bargaining tool as they'll have to take the engine apart anyway? 

Cheers!

Hello,

You are by no means alone with the skipping that occurs when cold.  See here:

As mentioned, it happens on mine too, and apart from being annoying, does no harm and doesn't indicate a fault.

Dealer servicing details are on this page:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#ServicingYourLexus

As you can see, a full service would cost you £445.

Although, since your car is over 5 years old, you can use the Essential Service instead.  That works out to £329.  Assuming you are referring to front brake pads, then it is £145.  Although if it is only squealing you are getting, they might not need changing, just some copper grease applied to the shim behind the pad.

As for the recall, did you have the spark plugs changed at the last service?  If not, then definitely get them done at the same time as the recall since they would only charge you for the plugs themselves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Hello,

You are by no means alone with the skipping that occurs when cold.  See here:

As mentioned, it happens on mine too, and apart from being annoying, does no harm and doesn't indicate a fault.

Dealer servicing details are on this page:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#ServicingYourLexus

As you can see, a full service would cost you £445.

Although, since your car is over 5 years old, you can use the Essential Service instead.  That works out to £329.  Assuming you are referring to front brake pads, then it is £145.  Although if it is only squealing you are getting, they might not need changing, just some copper grease applied to the shim behind the pad.

As for the recall, did you have the spark plugs changed at the last service?  If not, then definitely get them done at the same time as the recall since they would only charge you for the plugs themselves.

Good to hear!

As for the spark plugs - I'm actually not sure. I bought the car when it was at 70K I believe, or approaching it. In the log book it does show that it was serviced around 62K but I have no idea what was actually done as no receipts were kept. It was done at Lexus however so I'm utterly clueless at the moment. Would you recommend that major service at £329? Considering most independents are offering between 210-250. Also assuming that the pads do need changing - that will cost another £145 from Lexus, it starts mounting up quite quickly

What do you recommend?

If the last service was done by Lexus, you could give the dealer a ring a see if they could tell you what was done?

If not, what I suggest is get it into the dealer for the recall, and ask then to have a look at the plugs while the manifold is off.  They should be able to tell the difference between old and newish ones.  Then ask them to change them if they haven't been done so already.  If they keep the plugs in stock, this shouldn't be a problem.

As for the service, it is up to you.  Does you car have a full Lexus history?  If it does, do you want to maintain it?  Do you have a good independent that you trust to do the work?  The cost of replacement pads actually isn't that unreasonable considering it is the main dealer, but it would still be cheaper to get them changed elsewhere.  In fact, with basic tools, it is quite straightforward to change them yourself.

45 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

If the last service was done by Lexus, you could give the dealer a ring a see if they could tell you what was done?

If not, what I suggest is get it into the dealer for the recall, and ask then to have a look at the plugs while the manifold is off.  They should be able to tell the difference between old and newish ones.  Then ask them to change them if they haven't been done so already.  If they keep the plugs in stock, this shouldn't be a problem.

As for the service, it is up to you.  Does you car have a full Lexus history?  If it does, do you want to maintain it?  Do you have a good independent that you trust to do the work?  The cost of replacement pads actually isn't that unreasonable considering it is the main dealer, but it would still be cheaper to get them changed elsewhere.  In fact, with basic tools, it is quite straightforward to change them yourself.

45 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

If it been serviced at lexus can call them and they have to tell you what work was done on car and front pads get from ebay original lexus Birmingham and get done by independent garage work out lot cheaper 

Cheers guys, will probably go for the Lexus service as it has got full dealership history. As for the pads, I'll probably buy elsewhere and get a local garage to do them if they do need changing.

Good idea for the spark plugs Sha - will definitely try.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the dealer, but Lexus Edinburgh did stamp the book for me.in the normal fashion although they also added a small handwritten note to state that it was an "essential care" service.

Probably best to ask beforehand. I'm sure they'll oblige if you threaten to take your custom elsewhere. :smile:

As far as I know it's not true as on my is220d stamped it but put "essential service"enquired with Halfords for my is220d was only 20 difference but  did ask about it and was told get stamp and exactly same as normal service, it's just to compete with independent garages like Halfords, kwikfit. I normally use lexus Woodford as it's close 

I would use lexus dealers again as it's not much difference between Halfords and kwikfit if you use essential service. 

I also got full report too 

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2017 at 4:47 PM, ahmedali44 said:

I got my rear pads and discs from lexus Birmingham via ebay paid 40 to fit at local garage 

Have you got a link for the pads mate? Probably going to buy them online and have them fitted like you. I dont fancy the lexus dealership prices..

Just search lexus Birmingham will show up,I think best way buy from lexus get fitted by independent garage as their labour is less, I paid rear pads and discs 150 delivered for my is250, it's quite easy just send your reg no and they will tell you price and which ones you need. 

41 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

Yeh that why send your reg no and if any 1 interested lexus Birmingham doing complete service kit with 7 litres of 5w30 oil for 106 delivered from 2005-2013 

Link?