Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 2004 Change From Air to Spring Suspension

£10 a month more . I asked if i changed to standard spring it would be the same cheaper they said as it was not stock and still modified from factory . Also that's with drilled brakes as they were down the same down . 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I have been reading this post with a lot of interest as I have a 2003 Mk2 RX300 SE-L and the front OS air suspension strut has started leaking to the point where if you leave it 1 hour that corner has dropped and when driving it if you hit a pot hole it feels like the front of the car has disappeared down it (very load bang) and very bouncy on that corner.

I am at the point where I either have to replace the strut with another air one and wait for the next one to go or replace the whole setup to springs as some of you have already done, unfortunately like some of you guys that have done it yourself..... I have zero mechanical knowledge and would not want to try this myself. So I guess my question is what should I look to pay someone to fit the new kit and what would you recommend as a good option for spring kits??

Like most of you have already commented, the car is not worth a lot but I love it and it is perfect for when we tow the caravan so I do not want to change it, also the engine has now done 120.000 miles it is so smooth and all the big jobs have been done (cam belt and spark plugs).

I look forward to hearing your comments/suggestions.

Thank you. Lloyd

Lloyd I changed a near side rear got a garage to do it second hand shock £200 £100 to fit  sorted and I'm happy mine is the same year as yours the person who sold me the shocks replaced with coilovers  him self at a cost if about 1200 

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys. A bit of advice please, I have a 2004 Lexus RX300 and i need to change from air to spring as both my rear air suspension are knackered. What i want to know is are these the right struts and springs which come complete from the USA and what other parts will i need as i have followed this post and read about sourcing the other parts from else where. Any advice would be appreciated.

Spring and strut set

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2004/Lexus/RX330/Shock_and_Strut_Set/75-84609_4C

Gary

No. Originally the offside went but not realising that I could damage the near side  driveway nob head it still the near side has now gone.  They was both damaged separately so it’s cheaper to change to springs.  

Hi I converted to coilovers and profited from it . 

£800 for the kit . 

I did the conversion . 

Sold the old units for around £200 each . And the pump for £250 . 

It don’t handle off road as nice as it did but on the road cornering is stiffer . I tried lower profile wheels and tyres to see if it was better but didn’t like the look . 

I now lifted the suspension up . Happy now . But it is a 15 year old Car now . 

But longer I can keep it going the better I love it . 

Some hates out there but I like it IMG_3033.thumb.PNG.98f9ddba3dbb62bd9534975e339ec1be.PNGIMG_3502.thumb.JPG.fd6285af6b4ec5a78ad0897adf415df5.JPGIMG_3503.thumb.JPG.3118f212fc638b3bd76a92d2128ebcab.JPGIMG_3457.thumb.JPG.7d5e5cc6c856f09abc7c05c9b08edb3e.JPG

I understand about buying used ones but how long will they last and I’ve just had to return 1 with the cost of postage to me and also the fit and taken off again as it didn’t work when fitted so I’m out £200 once I get my money back from the part and still no further forward.  If I buy and fit the springs I know I’m good to go with no more costs on suspension hopefully.  

That is a long term fix so should be more cost effective in the long run.  

Still need the original advice about the job though  

cheers

Gary.  

I didn’t need to get anything else . Had advice that stock shocks needed other parts from main dealer costing more . Little things like bump stops . Covers . Mounts and fixings . 

This kit had all I needed for lowering  or raising 

Hi Dale - finally found someone who has gone for the BC's!

Do you find them much harsher than the stock ride on our roads?  I've been considering them for a while now but don't want to lose too much in terms of comfort.

Just a word of advice - make sure you coat the threads in some marine grease to safeguard against the elements (if you haven't already).  On my other cars I've had fun adjusting ride heights after a few winters so whilst it doesn't look great it's better to protect them at an early stage.

Off road you can notice but on the road not so much . You will never get a ride like airbag . But I’d say it’s the same as stock coils and shocks . I looked into 2nd hand . But same . How long will it last . 

Move coated the shocks in wg90 . When I service I clean and re coat . Same when I do the brakes . Paint red oxide . And wax oil any steel . . Well worth it for n the long run . 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2017 at 9:17 AM, steve2006 said:

As the RX was produced with both types of suspension systems the parts are all available to convert to springs if needed.

If you do decide to change over I have the parts lists for all the required parts, as you mention top mounts etc will be required as these are integrated into the air setup, should you need a copy pm me your email and I will send over the exploded parts list.

Any chance you could send me the exploded parts list Steve2006?

• Like 1

Hi all I have a 2004 Lexus RX300 
I'm changing from Air to spring and struts as i have a problem with the air suspension. I need the parts list if you have it.
Also do you know who sells a complete unit for each corner, or the parts if not.
Cheers

Gary

Hi guys.  Attached is the part list from lexus. I’m not sure it has all the parts but it has coils springs, struts and top mount.  

I think you only need to source top and bottom noise dampers. They’re like a round rubber ring to fit between the coil and fixing to stop rattles and bangs etc.  If I get the chance I’ll also attach my order from the internet as I have them on there.  

Gary. 

F409E711-6A00-4CC2-B5B5-1578D0250099.png

• 1 year later...

Hi Chaps. 

Air suspension is playing up on my 2006 rx350

Has anyone thought of getting a good used OEM set of shocks and springs from a rx350 / rx400h breaker? 

Is rx400h the same as rx350? 

Thanks

Jon

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2017 at 9:17 AM, steve2006 said:

As the RX was produced with both types of suspension systems the parts are all available to convert to springs if needed.

If you do decide to change over I have the parts lists for all the required parts, as you mention top mounts etc will be required as these are integrated into the air setup, should you need a copy pm me your email and I will send over the exploded parts list.

Hello Steve,

I'm new to the forum and do have the exact same problem as the original poster of this issue.

I don't seem to have the option to pm you (yet?)

Can you be kind enough to pm me first and I can respond with my email for the parts list that your referred to?

Thanks in advance,

Jedza