Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

For those DIY'ers

Indeed, one can buy IS220d (entire car) for ~£800 with shot engine (which is not exactly uncommon), which would cover most of expensive part i.e. headlights, sub-frame and most of bolts etc. Suspensions seems to be in need of some TLC, maybe some upgrade parts at the same time. I have seen pair of real carbon fiber fenders for IS-F for ~£450 as these being phased out.

However the issues starts with missing alloy.. which will be expensive. Front bumper is as well thing yet to be decided (maybe aftermarket one will cut it). But the biggest issue so far is that it is already Cat-C aka donor sentence for A car - something even T-cut won't cut. One would never be able to resell it for any reasonable price (no matter to which standard it will get repaired) and Insurance will go wild on the quotes if you decide to keep it.

Sad to see it ended up where it is... No love for the cars... 

Chatting with other owners recently regarding parts prices, even a cursory glance at this one you can see even if you did all the work yourself not quite sure if it's worth it ☹️

Example one wheel £1453.65 on the Lexus site.

Apparently a radiator which are not available as stock have to be made in Japan for a four figure sum.

Accepting you don't have to use new but I would suggest used parts are scarce to say the least - shame.

Big Rat

21 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

Chatting with other owners recently regarding parts prices, even a cursory glance at this one you can see even if you did all the work yourself not quite sure if it's worth it ☹️

Example one wheel £1453.65 on the Lexus site.

Apparently a radiator which are not available as stock have to be made in Japan for a four figure sum.

Accepting you don't have to use new but I would suggest used parts are scarce to say the least - shame.

Big Rat

Agreed, you could probably source a few second hand parts, there are front bumpers and the odd wheel on the bay (hoping it's for the right corner) etc. Considering the blue 11 plate cat C, was getting interest at around 16k there isn't much motivation for anyone to take this on IMO. 

20 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Agreed, you could probably source a few second hand parts, there are front bumpers and the odd wheel on the bay (hoping it's for the right corner) etc. Considering the blue 11 plate cat C, was getting interest at around 16k there isn't much motivation for anyone to take this on IMO. 

You are right about parts there are some about, just bought 4 excellent wheels/ tyres for £500.00 and have offered £100.00 on a rear bumper with all the sensors and so on, but as for the other unique parts I think you would struggle.

If you had the cash and space buy the whole car and break either for a 'bank' of parts for yourself if you were so inclined or as an investment for the future.

It does take some balls to do this at this stage but if you look back at many other cars that were of interest to individuals who now say with monotonous regularity 'yeah I had one of those now if I only I had one now ' or for that matter this part or that.

Fortune favours the brave.

Big Rat

40 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Oh god, why did it have to be silver. Poor little thing!

I have just cracked open another tin of Guinness and raised it to the Sun and said a few words............ 😩

Big Rat

• Like 1

I expect just after it is sold a similar silver IS-F will get stolen overnight, after a few days the crashed one will be back on the road and a load of IS-F spares will come onto the market... or am I just being cynical...???

40 minutes ago, Haylands said:

I expect just after it is sold a similar silver IS-F will get stolen overnight, after a few days the crashed one will be back on the road and a load of IS-F spares will come onto the market... or am I just being cynical...???

Good guess, but I bet it is too old + cat c for any body to risk it, if that would be 2016 RC-F.. then as you described.\ 

Edit: Just though of reason t2o... as well - the people you are describing won't be looking to buy car for £9k+, but rather completely totaled with structural damage which they can pick up for a "thanks".

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

and Insurance will go wild on the quotes if you decide to keep it.

No it won't as most insurance companies don't ask and even if they did it will just mean the value they are insuring is less.

Mines does... and when I put Cat D car last time it was significant difference in quotes between cat and non-cat car. By significant I mean I got 101/127 companies to offer me the cover and the cheapest one was Admiral @ £836, when put same model cat-d it was only 37/127 companies to offer the insurance and it started ~£3300+. I have not changed anything else, just used one numbers plate> auto find the car> auto value and then replaced with the other. That was btw RC300h.

1 hour ago, Haylands said:

Very hard to find a real bad one now 99.9% will be through the insurance company and get categorised as Cat A or B and they can't go back on the road...

In UK that is partially true. Why I am saying partially and in UK:

1. It is because outside of UK insurance categories doesn't mean anything and cat A and B can be bought with disposal license... many of which ends up in Eastern EU.

2. There is high possibility that car such IS-F can be crashed on track, which means most of insurances won't pay a penny for it and as such it won't go through insurance and won't have any cat. That is partially the reason I have said - "it is sad it has cat-c" as if it would be track injury it most likely would be non-cat.

3 hours ago, Big Rat said:

You are right about parts there are some about, just bought 4 excellent wheels/ tyres for £500.00 and have offered £100.00 on a rear bumper with all the sensors and so on, but as for the other unique parts I think you would struggle.

If you had the cash and space buy the whole car and break either for a 'bank' of parts for yourself if you were so inclined or as an investment for the future.

It does take some balls to do this at this stage but if you look back at many other cars that were of interest to individuals who now say with monotonous regularity 'yeah I had one of those now if I only I had one now ' or for that matter this part or that.

Fortune favours the brave.

Big Rat

I was also tempted by those wheels but you got there first, great purchase for spare set of winter tyres rather than having to keep swapping the tyres back and forth. Or just as spares, great price! Always on the look out for useful parts. If money available it would be a long term smart more to stockpile some parts,  they will only get more expensive as time goes by. 

I am sure bumpers, fenders can be sourced from Trump's country, but alloys are problematic. I guess it would be easier to source whole set of new alloys and try to resell current ones to recover some of the costs... one might even end-up brake-even after exchanging 3 for 4, because the style currently on the car significantly rarer.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Mines does... and when I put Cat D car last time it was significant difference in quotes between cat and non-cat car. By significant I mean I got 101/127 companies to offer me the cover and the cheapest one was Admiral @ £836, when put same model cat-d it was only 37/127 companies to offer the insurance and it started ~£3300+. I have not changed anything else, just used one numbers plate> auto find the car> auto value and then replaced with the other. That was btw RC300h.

Well you are the first person i have heard of having an issue like that. 

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

I guess somebody offered £7500 cash in hands ... tomorrow. 10k start + bidding was not realistic

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, Big Rat said:

I have just cracked open another tin of Guinness and raised it to the Sun and said a few words............ 😩

Big Rat

Calm down you two, its silver, the odds are stacked against it, that's all I am saying...................:yucky:

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 8:58 AM, Mark G said:

Calm down you two, its silver, the odds are stacked against it, that's all I am saying...................:yucky:

Probably somebody deliberately crashed it just because of getting bored of the colour :whistling:

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links