Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test drive today - good & bad

Called into my localish Lexus Centre today to see how much my 2014 GS F Sport was worth and how much I owe although I could have found out the latter myself.  Reasonably surprised that the difference between the two figures wasn't as bad as I expected.  Talked with the sales staff about what I would like next and the RC, NX and new IS were on my list so.  Dealer rattled off a few numbers for new car which were a no-show at the moment but then came back with a sensible number for a 16 plate RC F Sport with premium nav and low miles.  White with rose leather.  Mmmm, ok, test drive needed of their demo blue RC. 

Good points:  looks great, instruments good, driving position, menus, how it handled (this surprised me as I drove 40,000 miles in a slightly modded GT86 so I understand how a good car feels) and, finally, how the RC got down the road.

Not so good:  tiny nav screen (I'm used to a 12.3" screen), no BSM and no ottoman in the drivers (ok, I'm spoilt with the GS's electric ottoman jobby and electric side bolsters).  I still dislike the parking brake that you have to depress. 

I've decided, for now, to wait a bit longer and see what's on the market in a few months.  Whilst looking around the dealership there was a new IS F Sport, RX F Sport, NX F Sport, RC F Sport plus a CT Advance.  None of the cars were equipped with BSM.  Surprised too that the NX doesn't have memory seats although they are electric.  What's up with Lexus not generally putting BSM into their cars?  My GS has it (as does the wife's Juke) and I find it very useful but it doesn't appear to be on Lexus' list of things to have.

Finally, the Centre is getting a yellow LC (full fat model) with sporty pack so carbon roof et al.  :)  Just don't know when.

Peter

• Like 1

The one thing you do not mention is the drivetrain you have in the GS, had in the GT86, want in an RC or had in your test drive.

That said, I had a GT86 manual (tuned to 235bhp) prior to my RC 300h F Sport. In my humble opinion the two can not be compared one is a fully engaging grin a minute drivers car, the other is a refined, virtually silent motorway coupe. Both however are relilitively unseen on the road and both get 'noticed'.

My rational for the move was based on 1 comfort, 2 toys, and 3 driving style.

1, 20k miles a year in a GT86 was fun but, the Haywood & Scott exhaust deafened me, and I would also be in need of back surgery for my compressed spine from the hard suspension. (But it was great fun!)

2, Whilst the GT86 had nav, the RC with premium nav and ML is a delight, especially when you add a hard drive to the usb with your entire movie and music catalogue.

3, The RC300h is cool, calm and quietly eye catching, it's just a pleasure to be in, just don't try and drive it like a sports coupe and you'll never regret the swap.

All just my opinion, and not meant to be the right answer. In short consider what you want and then seek it out.

And what ever you decide, if you are considering buying new, use CarWow it saved me £3.5k and I got a good trade in value on GT86 even thought it was with the original Toyota/Lexus inchcape dealer!

Happy to share more if you have any specific questions?

James

IMG_0052.PNG

IMG_0798.JPG

I believe the RC is getting a facelift soon and an update to its interior to bring it more in line with the facelifted IS. 

Most likely they'll add more options on the F-Sport model such as the Premier pack which would include the BSM etc

• Like 1

By ottoman I, probably incorrectly, refer to the GS's electrically extending thigh / back of knee supporter.  It's my favourite feature with the GS F Sport seat along with the electrically adjustable side bolsters.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links