Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Off Road in the RX450h

Today, I tried a little off-roading in the 450. Not because I'm mentally deficient you understand, but because I had no real choice...

The route to my target club was out as a rail crossing I normally take is closed, so I was forced along a 2 mile rutted track, and onto the range.  On arrival, I re-adjusted my spine, and picked up what remained of my fillings, now liberally scattered across the floor....(F-sports belong on tarmac!)

It was obvious that the previous few nights heavy rainfall had taken their toll, and rather than lug all my kit across the field, I tippy-toed the RX off the track and onto the rough and bumpy.....and exceptionally muddy field!

:w00t:

The moral of this story, is when tempted, don't do it unless in the dry!  I managed to get 50 yards before coming to a slippery halt with all 4 wheel spinning and not a lot happening.  Careful use of the throttle and some back and forth motion got me going again, so I turned around and made my way back up onto the track.  With cross country tyres, it might have been ok.  With road tyres, it was just silly.

Meanwhile, those in Landcruisers, Jeeps and Freelanders waltzed across without a care in the world.

• Like 3

Ive only been down some boggy country lanes and its been fine for me.

I tend to stick the car in SNOW mode before attempting boggy fields though. Seems to work fairly well. 

• Like 2

Boggy fields, slopes and lots of slippery mud = stuck RX.  Snow mode won't help in those situations but all weather or country tyres probably would.  I think that the permanent AWD RX350 with off road tyres probably would fare better but who knows.  I'll be keeping it on the tarmac from now on :winkiss:

3 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Boggy fields, slopes and lots of slippery mud = stuck RX.  Snow mode won't help in those situations but all weather or country tyres probably would.  I think that the permanent AWD RX350 with off road tyres probably would fare better but who knows.  I'll be keeping it on the tarmac from now on :winkiss:

My car is on M+S tyres. 

Snow mode does help though - seems to reduce slip somewhat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Does the 300 differ much from the 350 in terms of AWD? Do you think ... ?

I mùst admit it's unlikely I will ever need to go off road but I just wanted to believe if push comes to shove the RX could get me out of a sticky spot.

maybe I should lower my expectations to just deep puddles.

carl

It's down to the tyres though.  Range Rovers are great off road with the right tyres and certainly better than the RX.  I think that people's expectations with the RX need to consider tyre choice.  If you live in a rural area and do need some regular off road ability, then the standard Dunlop 270's wont be of much use.  All I know is that mine was next to useless in a boggy wet field with those tyres fitted although it did get me out again with careful throttle control.  Some others have not been so lucky in their cars!

• Like 1

All the land rovers and range rovers used at the Land Rover experience centres are on standard road tyres.  You'd be surprised what a LR is capable of with standard road tyres fitted.   Much of the capability is due to the terrain response fitted to the vehicles. The right tyres is a given.

33 minutes ago, tayaste said:

All the land rovers and range rovers used at the Land Rover experience centres are on standard road tyres.  You'd be surprised what a LR is capable of with standard road tyres fitted.   Much of the capability is due to the terrain response fitted to the vehicles. The right tyres is a given.

I would not be surprised what a Land Rover can do at their experience centres. We had one in our area and I knew one of the chaps who designed the course. Just underneath all that mud is hard ground or even concrete. The rule they must stick to, when designing the course, is that no Land Rover must get stuck. The terrain is designed to look very challenging but quite frankly most 4x4 would be able to negotiate their course. I have seen Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, Renegade Jeeps with diff locks - all get stuck in the real world. On one off-road course, the last part was to drive up a steep grass slope. All the genuine 4x4's on that day failed. The only vehicle to do it was an old Kia worth about £500. It made those people, who had spent a good deal more than that on modifications, rather stunned. What you are able to do on a Land Rover driver experience is geared to selling cars - and they do sell them as they look more impressive than in reality.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tayaste said:

Wet grass is definitely a LRs nemesis. On a positive note, maybe we could organise a green lane day with the RX's out there.See how they fair against an LR :biggrin:

Not well I'd be willing to bet! :wink3:

7 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

It's down to the tyres though.  Range Rovers are great off road with the right tyres and certainly better than the RX.  I think that people's expectations with the RX need to consider tyre choice.  If you live in a rural area and do need some regular off road ability, then the standard Dunlop 270's wont be of much use.  All I know is that mine was next to useless in a boggy wet field with those tyres fitted although it did get me out again with careful throttle control.  Some others have not been so lucky in their cars!

The SP270s are rubbish in all conditions apart from in summer though  

They slip with 5mm on them in the wet. Haven't had any of that since I changed

Good to know, thanks Rayaans.  Mine have plenty of tread left on them so I'll probably see another year on them before I re-shod.  I'm considering Avons which have received some really good reviews and are inexpensive compared with some premium brands.

I find my tyres very good so far. They are Pirelli scorpion verde 235/55/19 105v all season. I don't think they are the quietist road tyres due to the tread pattern but I imagine they are good all rounders.

how they would fair in the mud is another matter.