Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

We may be taking in a large working dog (German Wire Haired Pointer) which needs re-homing for tragic personal issues within the family that currently has him.  Whilst the RX has loads of room for the dog in the back, I'm wondering if any of you have tried one of the various Ebay-sold dog guards and if some are better than others?  The Lexus ones are just silly money and we won't be going there.  The dog is a powerful beast, and I would be afraid of any leather damage from claws or boisterous chewing!

Any recommendations gratefully received but was thinking of something like this:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-RX450H-HEADREST-MESH-DOG-GUARD-/262846929333?hash=item3d32e5d9b5:g:45AAAOSwCGVYBm7f

Would prefer a full length one to protect the back of the seats though.

I reused the dog guard from my Sportcross and it does the job just fine. I would fit tape around the securing areas just to prevent introducing any rattles. I hold mine in place with zip ties around the outer headrests. Not such big dogs mind you, a jack Russell and a Working Cocker. Your beast sounds much bigger mind you and ceertainly wouldn't want him chewing the leather!!

Totally agree re the 'Lexus' model, it is stupid money. If i rememeber correctly I bought ours from Gumtree, it was a Toyota part and was £20 second hand. Just a thought.

Thanks Ed.

Yes, he's a big beast.  Poor quality photo attached.

When I asked if he'd have any issues jumping into the high back of an RX, the owner told me that he was photographed jumping a 5-bar gate the other week.  That wasn't what impressed...it was the fact he did that and happened to have a fox in his mouth at the time!

I'll be using him as a working dog so will be adding a dog cage to prevent mud splatter!

I'll look at a mesh one I think as it will prevent toothy access to leather!

IMG_1093STAN (2).JPG

A fox, brilliant, we live in the city but the dogs, though pretty fast, have never actually got close enough. He's a beautiful dog. Given his gymnastic qualities i would definitely think about a cage. In fact i would consider a trailer......

Good on you.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

we haven't got him yet.  We're second in queue to a chap from Aberdeen who wants to come and look at him, but we're on the doorstep and I've spoken with the owner and I think he'd prefer to turn the dog over to us for some reason. He has a cage etc and I think that would come with the dog which looks a beaut :smile:

I see it on Tuesday with the family, and will do my best to twist his arm as it looks a perfect (trained) working dog and family pet.

• Like 1

Got the guard sorted and for anyone interested, also found an excellent dog cage for reasonable cash that fits a treat into the RX:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Transport-Crate-Plastic-Pet-Dogs-Car-Vehicle-Travelling-Safety-2-Way-Box-NEW-/282215736836?hash=item41b55e6604:g:qOMAAOSwOyJX9MN5

Pictures of dog guard chosen and of transport cage found too which fits a treat. On the eBay rubber boot liner, it won't budge an inch which is essential.

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

The only things to be aware of with this type of headrest restraint fitted dog guard are:

1.  You won't be able to use the recline function;

2. You'll need some form of protection between the guard and leather to prevent scratches or indents.  I've used some old speaker grille polyester cloth I had left over from a small job;

3.  You'll need to slide all seats forward at the same time if moving them;

4.  all seats will still fold at the same time but the guard may catch the front seats and central storage area;

These will be the same no-matter what form of head restraint-attached system you use. I would avoid the ones which rely on poles being extended to push against the sides and top as these are more likely to damage the car's interior.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

So you got that gorgeous beast then. Hope he fits in to your family nicely. The cage looks a good idea. Hmm

Pick him up hopefully next week as he's out acting as a stud to a bitch on heat (a prior promise to another chap who wants his bloodline for some pups).  Visited him earlier on this week and he's a lovely dog.  Really well trained and on the silent whistle too, fit as a fiddle and good with kids; he's got a really good temperament and is a gentle dog.  Everything I could have hoped for really.

6 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Which boot liner is it Paul (link to the fleabay trader?) and does it actually smell heavily of rubber or is it alright? Thanks.

Linky for you John:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121956341268?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No smell off this one and it seems pretty tough and durable too. Fits like a glove.  Easily as good as the Lexus one at much less cost.

• Like 1

So you got that gorgeous beast then. Hope he fits in to your family nicely. The cage looks a good idea. Hmm

Pick him up hopefully next week as he's out acting as a stud to a bitch on heat (a prior promise to another chap who wants his bloodline for some pups).  Visited him earlier on this week and he's a lovely dog.  Really well trained and on the silent whistle too, fit as a fiddle and good with kids; he's got a really good temperament and is a gentle dog.  Everything I could have hoped for really.

It's an awful long time since I was put out to stud. Happy days indeed.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Which boot liner is it Paul (link to the fleabay trader?) and does it actually smell heavily of rubber or is it alright? Thanks.

Linky for you John:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121956341268?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No smell off this one and it seems pretty tough and durable too. Fits like a glove.  Easily as good as the Lexus one at much less cost.

Brilliant, thanks my friend

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk