Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering wheel wobble when breaking.

malahai

Hi guys, 

I am getting mental with this stuff, so I hope somebody will be able to direct me to some solution. I got my IS200 2004 reg., about a year ago. Back then I changed all pads and discs to some new but cheap-ish stuff, different brand on the front, different at the back. I think at this moment I started to get steering wheel wobble when breaking from about 40-70mph. I did live with them for about 2 months but got annoyed, so changed all breaks and discs, this time I went for full set from Pagid. I realized immediately, that it did not sort out my wobble problem. After some time I decided to finally resolve the problem, took it to mechanic thinking that it might be faulty wheel alignment. Nope, all OK. They said it might be some dirt on front drive hub flange (if I undestood well). They cleaned one (front passenger side) and it was OK - wobble gone. For two days, then it came back. 

So now, should I assume that problem might be with those front drive hub flanges? Or maybe calipers, as they are the only part that wasn't changed? Let me add that I fitted set of 4 brand new tires and alloy wheels as well. Any ideas guys? Would really appreciate some help. 

As it started when you changed the brakes, I'd go with them being the seat of the problem. My immediate thought was, did you clean the disc to hub faces? Really clean them? As just the smallest bit of corrosion will put the disc(s) out of true.

Remove each disc and get the mating faces spotless, then see how it goes..

Thanks for advice. I guess that this is exactly what mechanics did recently when then took them apart, but as I said, it lasted just a few days and problem came back. Maybe hub faces are uneven and hubs need replacing?

Certainly on my SEAT the service tech docs required both the disc and hubs to be replaced together but I don't think I've read anything similar with regard to Lexus..

Another possibility is disc glazing i.e. pad material gets deposited on the disc face. A couple of hard stops from speed usually cures any wobble for a short while. 

You could try reverting to Lexus supplied discs and pads as you didn't have the problem with the OEM brakes?

Hi this is a common problem with this model ,and well documented on here . What I suggest is you go back to your mechanic and get him to check the disc run out with a dial gauge on both discs . If this is within tolerance the problem lies with the calipers and/or pins which will need to be thoroughly checked .If it is outside the tolerance ,he will have to check discs for warping or hubs .When I had this problem on my sport cross I ended up with 2 reconditioned calipers to cure it .

Dave

Hi, this is a common problem with the is200. Its usually the front brake caliper slide pins that have rusted & seized. After cleaning use silicon grease to lubricate. They should slide freely. Hope that helps. 

I found the cure eventually - after wasting a set of front discs and one lot of on-car disc skimming - was new calipers and carriers and another skim. Touch wood, 21,000 miles later and no wobble. 

• Like 1