Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS460 Tyre Pressure Monitor Sensors

On my LS460 2008, I've always had one tyre that slowly deflates. It took weeks to go from 36psi down to about 28psi, so it didn't really both me too much. I just assumed it was leaking around the bead and it hadn't got any worse in 2 years.

So, new tyres needed and fitted ..... Next drive, I could see the pressure slowly falling on the same tyre while I was driving down the M4, I lost about 8psi in 50 miles. After a few days away I had lost a bit more pressure, but not as much as I lost on the original 50 mile drive. I pumped the tyre up and drove the same 50 miles home again, losing a similar amount of pressure.

I took it back to the tyre supplier this morning and they diagnosed the valve leaking around the stem and said they couldn't do anything with it, but if I bought a new one they would fit it for me. I drove 30 miles this afternoon and it seems to be going down faster now.

So tonight I have changed the wheel for the spare and that should give me more time to fix this. However, after changing I noticed the two tyres stayed in the same places on the list on the dashboard (Still 2nd and 5th) - So I have to assume that they are individually coded on the wheel and not on the car. That's where my concern starts.

I have to replace the sensor but how can I be sure it is coded for "Position 5" and appears in the right place in the list?

Is the wisdom on a 9 year old, 60K miles car, that I should change them all now? If so, what's the best option?

The sensor valves cost around £170.00 each so I would stick to replacing just the leaking one additionally the new one will need programming to the system using a compatible Toyota scan tool or if you move the wheels around.

Part number should be 42607-50010 up to 2008 and 50011 after.

www.amayama.com have them in stock from Japan for £73.42 plus shipping and possible duty if you put the above part number in and can wait a week for it.

They (tyre shop/Lexus) can read the numbers that are programmed, you need the number from the old sensor and then put in five codes with the new one in place... they don't go in any order, there are five receivers in the car and they will work with any of the programmed sensors, that is so you can rotate your tyres without issue...

Steve, price has fallen... I was quoted £380 for five fitted and coded by Lexus, I managed to buy 5 genuine toyota sensors from eBay for £90 the lot so there are some cheaper options around now....

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. You continue to give great answers to the few questions I have asked.

i see them at around £45 each on eBay, but it sounds like it won't work unless a dealer codes it?

Peter - I've just started reading your thread and it's got some great detail in it. Can you please post a link to the sensors you purchased on eBay and tell me who fitted them for you (and how much).

23 minutes ago, BigMartin said:

Can you please post a link to the sensors you purchased on Ebay and tell me who fitted them for you (and how much).

Martin, mine is a Southern Irish car so the sensors may be different, mine are 433mhz (USA ones are different)  but the numbers may be different, I read the part number from mine and found some that were the same... 

Apparently any generic 433mhz sensor should work but I haven't tried, there are even some available now that have a standard rubber valve as well....

Most tyre shops have a tool to code in new ones, they may not be able to read the ones you already have coded in though to work out the five that need coding in...

Lexus certainly can read what you have and code in the correct ones, I imagine 1/2 hour labour to do it, they won't mind where you got the sensors from...:thumbsup:

I'm going to code mine in but haven't got round to doing it yet.... It's too cold and I've got a cold so I'm on strike for a while....!!!

Before you go replacing the sensor, start with the easy things first...

- have you tried tightening the sensors collar? 11mm socket

- Have you had the wheel place take the tyre off and check the rubber seal on the sensor. While you're there check the seating face of the alloy wheel where the valve sits, there may be corrosion or paint bubbling not allowing the valve to seal

-Replace the schrader valve in the sensor 

A few of my tyres were losing pressure a free weeks back, I just nipped the collars up with an 11mm socket, job done

• Like 1

Now its all getting a bit silly,I can see why the restraint I had about buying a 460 was justified,I am all for advancement in technology but do I really need a sensor on the wheel to tell me what psi the tyre is.

The answer is no ,because the cost of replacing them and the hassle is just not worth the benefit.

The very able manual tyre guage is more than adequate and it also contributes to the safety of the car .

When I was in the army many moons ago my trade as a driver Royal Signals carried responsibilities other than just driving the vehicle,there was a standing order known as first parade which entailed a check of wheel nuts ,tyre, lights ,water, oil, petrol ,windscreen wipers/washers fluid   levels and that was before you started the vehicle.

Now if you are using a tyre pressure guage, you will also because you are there check the state of the tyres or should do.

Comfort levels today have taken a lot of the physical and observation elements out of the scenario and to my mind it is not a good thing.

• Like 1

hahahahaha ................  us oldie Ls400 owners just do the usual " kick the tyres " to check the pressures  :yahoo:

I jest but hey, why does technology seem such a useless innovation sometimes :wallbash:

Malx

Unfortunately TPMS is now compulsory on all new cars. The systems used however are not that clever. It can take quite a time for a pressure drop to register inside the car because the information is transmitted at intervals to reduce the drain on the sensor batteries. Additional information is also transmitted "tyre air temperature", but I have not seen a system built into a car that uses this. However there are aftermarket systems that do display the information. These systems can be bought for less money complete with 4 tyre valves than a set replacement tyre valves. 

I cannot understand why this old technology has not been replaced. A small magnet or series of magnets mounted near the inner wheel rim " say on the outside of the break caliper", and a coil mounted on the inside of the rim would produce enough current to charge a rechargeable Battery or capacitor to permanently run the system. In fact the monitor could be mounted permanently on the wheel and ordinary rubber valves used. 

Maybe the manufacturers are making to much money with the system as is for any change to be forthcoming.

John.

• Like 1