Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Rx wouldn't start today...

Drove to Luton Airport this morning. All fine.

3 hours later to go home, car unlocked, then dead. No lights, no ignition, nothing ...

Called Lexus Assist ( AA).

30 minutes later, they arrived and the car has started. 

The problem?

The connection to my Battery had come loose(!), so it was effectively disconnected for maybe 3 hours.

It took about a minute to be fixed.

It's never let me down before, so I WAS surprised!

I guess the car has to re-learn stuff now. Certainly some of memory settings have gone... But a happy ending.

Top Tip: Keep a coat in your car. I had one ( a high viz ) and was I grateful!

:xmas:

• Like 3

Do you know if that was the original Battery Piers? Mine is the original, and will be 12 years old on March 1st. Is it common for a car battery to last that long? or maybe I've just been lucky. Anyway glad you got it all sorted.

On the subject of batteries I have a Motorhome with a 3 litre diesel engine that has not liked the recent cold weather. It was really flat so i thought I'd try a Jump start pack from CostCo ( PSX3). I was amazed to see the van leap into life and the unit now has a permanent home behind my seat in the RX for emergency use. It has an emergency light, a 12 volt DC out as well as a 5 volt USB out and a tyre inflator  that pumps up to 150psi . So it won't be going back to CostCo !

12 years!

No, mine was changed last year.  

Ironically, I suspect when the new Battery was fitted - by a good independent - it wasn't quite tight enough? maybe?

And the CostCo device sounds great!

Happy days.

Piers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Piers, Thank you so much for your post, re, all electrics cutting out. The same happened to me a few days ago, & again this morning. Thinking it was a faulty relay, I was dreading the bill for finding the fault, on my RX300. Then I remembered your post, & tried it. Blow me down the connector moved when I grabbed hold of it. I couldn't believe it, as I only had the Battery off 2 weeks ago, & has cured fault. Thank you again, & it shows how vulnerable the average person could be, with an unscrupulous mechanic.

Ian Verdon.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, okbald said:

Piers, Thank you so much for your post, re, all electrics cutting out. The same happened to me a few days ago, & again this morning. Thinking it was a faulty relay, I was dreading the bill for finding the fault, on my RX300. Then I remembered your post, & tried it. Blow me down the connector moved when I grabbed hold of it. I couldn't believe it, as I only had the battery off 2 weeks ago, & has cured fault. Thank you again, & it shows how vulnerable the average person could be, with an unscrupulous mechanic.

Ian Verdon.

Sometimes the best solutions are the simple ones! 

:whistling: