Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre pressures

Glover

I've got a 2012 RX450h and just fitted Michelin Cross Climates.  I'm confused about tyre pressures; should I run at 33psi or the Eco 36psi setting.  Are there any benefits in fuel economy by using the Eco setting?

The higher the pressure the less rolling resistance hence presumably the eco moniker.

I personally stick with what it says in the manufacturer section of the handbook.

Tyre sidewall info as well, I did tyre development work for Michelin in a previous life there customers  liaison were may still be both helpful and knowledgeable when you explain to them the application and vehicle details.

Big Rat

I run mine on 37psi. 

Ive noticed a 2-3mpg drop when its on 33psi and frankly, the sidewalls look somewhat flat when they're at that pressure. 

I blieve the tyre sidewall info will be max pressure of 40-44psi so you should be fine regardless of what to use.

Thanks both.  I inadvertently had it on 38 front 42 rear when I had them fitted (mistook 160 kph plus for less than 160kph!).  Was a little bit more road surface intrusion on those settings but on 36psi it's a magic carpet.  Given your comments Rayaan about the mpg impact I'll continue with the Eco setting as detailed on the door pillar sticker or might even try a sneaky psi extra!  I'm all for saving fuel:-).  Incidentally it was your posts that encouraged me to look at the Cross Climates; glad I did they're the first tyres I've had where I can really recognise a difference in noise, comfort, grip etc. So thanks for the tip.

Big Rat that's useful to know re Michelin customer liaison; I'll give them a ring. Lexus give 3 options in the RX handbook and on the door pillar, two are dependent on speed (over or below 160kph (100mph) and Eco is mid way between these settings