Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h timing belt

Hi all, I have been a member for a few months and now I am ready to buy a car, looking at a 2007 RX400h, just called the car sales place and I asked if the timing belt had been done, the sales guy said he didn't know but would get back to me. The car has done 93k miles and as far as I was aware this would have been due @ 90k mikes (please correct me if I'm wrong) can someone please tell me if this would be a deal break if it hasn't? I don't want to have to fork out hundreds of pounds just after buying it; if it needs doing.

The guy is calling me back this morning and I'm looking to purchase in the next 2 days...

Thanks, he said it hadn't been done as it wasn't due until 100k, he quoted £425 to get it done but I decided I will wait and get the big 100 service from Lexus when it's due, he's calling me back today to see if my reduced offer has been accepted then I'll go and collect it :o)

37 minutes ago, PCM said:

Normally there's an under-bonnet sticker AND it says in the Service Book?

The under-bonnet sticker that Piers mentions may be just a Lexus thing and might not be there if it was done at an independent garage. I'm not sure if it's the same engine as in my 2005 RX300 but if it is, I had timing belt, all associated idlers/pulleys and water pump done at an independent and including the coolant I think the whole job was about £450-£460ish if I remember right. If it's not been done try to negotiate a few hundred quid off the price to take it into account.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shortandstrange said:

Thanks, he said it hadn't been done as it wasn't due until 100k, he quoted £425 to get it done but I decided I will wait and get the big 100 service from Lexus when it's due,

That will be eye-wateringly expensive at Lexus. When cars get to that age there's no point in taking them to the main stealers and paying their extortionate prices, plus going to an indy gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling that you're not just buying another bottle of champaigne for the fat cats but may be contributing to a school trip or music lessons for the indy mechanic's kids :wink3:

• 1 month later...