Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ls400 - What would you pay?

Hi

There are a plethora of Silver LS400's around at the moment.  Next month mine will be going in for some paintwork (rust removal), and wheel refurb (plus a set of SC430 wheels, if I can figure out the correct hubcentric spacers), which will give the car an different dimension (in my opinion).  Once thats all been done, I'm planning on writing up my purchase, including expenses to date (I have the capability/space to do very little work myself)

There is a 1995 N reg LS400 on the popular auction site (not used since August 2014 according to it's MOT history), needs some work, but could be a great spares car (Im either thinking strategically or am in a manic stage).

The question is, what's it worth?

a. If someone buys it to break

b. If someone buys it to repair (alternator, Battery, belts etc)

Any thoughts/opinions?

Mark

I did the very same thing back in 2004 with a Mark1 identical in every way to the car I owned for 16 years.

The car I bought had only 70k on it and was a write off due to front end suspension damage caused through  high speed impact with a kerb,I bought the car for approx £780 and straight away swapped the bonnet as mine had a dent in it and was the main reason for buying the car in the first place.

I swapped the front seats as they were in better condition than mine.

I then stripped everything off the car except the engine and drive train including the running gear.

I then sold the car on eBay to a guy who was building a kit car for £600 and was using the engine and running gear as a platform.

I then sold the audio equipment less speakers on eBay for £110

I sold some of the Ecus for around £50  on the same site.

I stored the rest for ten years and apart from the odd bulb and the mudflaps  some of the spares went off with the Mark 1 when she was sold ,the rest went to member on here free gratis who had the same model.

I have not done the same excercise with my Mark 4 but have bought the spare mirror units and a centre console unit.

The spares for the Mark 4 are available on eBay and are more plentiful than the Mark 1 was when I had it but there are more Mark 4 models about and more are being broken.

It is a temptation to buy a donor car and if they can be bought at the right price it is a good idea but don't expect to use the spares they are simply an insurance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

Mark

I did the very same thing back in 2004 with a Mark1 identical in every way to the car I owned for 16 years.

The car I bought had only 70k on it and was a write off due to front end suspension damage caused through  high speed impact with a kerb,I bought the car for approx £780 and straight away swapped the bonnet as mine had a dent in it and was the main reason for buying the car in the first place.

I swapped the front seats as they were in better condition than mine.

I then stripped everything off the car except the engine and drive train including the running gear.

I then sold the car on ebay to a guy who was building a kit car for £600 and was using the engine and running gear as a platform.

I then sold the audio equipment less speakers on ebay for £110

I sold some of the Ecus for around £50  on the same site.

I stored the rest for ten years and apart from the odd bulb and the mudflaps  some of the spares went off with the Mark 1 when she was sold ,the rest went to member on here free gratis who had the same model.

I have not done the same excercise with my Mark 4 but have bought the spare mirror units and a centre console unit.

The spares for the Mark 4 are available on Ebay and are more plentiful than the Mark 1 was when I had it but there are more Mark 4 models about and more or being broken.

It is a temptation to buy a donor car and if they can be bought at the right price it is a good idea but don't expect to use the spares they are simply an insurance.

I was thinking of using some of the panels and like you said selling the engine to someone who was looking for a donor

Might just be pie in the sky

it also takes me further away from a  house in France...

Well it's a shame to take another wagon off the trail.

It'll make them more rare in the UK and one day they will be imported from the US to satisfy the classic market.

on the other hand...provides quality, genuine well priced parts.

Depends upon your time an effort in shifting parts or that quick sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinonline said:

Well it's a shame to take another wagon off the trail.

It'll make them more rare in the UK and one day they will be imported from the US to satisfy the classic market.

on the other hand...provides quality, genuine well priced parts.

Depends upon your time an effort in shifting parts or that quick sale.

Also depends on space you have in the garage/shed/workshop/drive. Not forgetting the wife, who might not be well pleased with a half-broken car on the drive/garage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Also depends on space you have in the garage/shed/workshop/drive. Not forgetting the wife, who might not be well pleased with a half-broken car on the drive/garage!

14 years of disappointment and counting...

sadly that's one thing I don't have (garage) 

One thing I have found since I bought my Mark 3 a few weeks back, certain spares are near on impossible to get - granted there are more in the states but it is a pain to get parts sent over. For instance the bottom splitter section of my front bumper is split, I guess from going up and down curbs and and cannot find a replacement one anywhere. 

1 hour ago, maxwellwd said:

One thing I have found since I bought my Mark 3 a few weeks back, certain spares are near on impossible to get - granted there are more in the states but it is a pain to get parts sent over. For instance the bottom splitter section of my front bumper is split, I guess from going up and down curbs and and cannot find a replacement one anywhere. 

Glue? Or 'proper' repair?

I removed mine a couple of years ago now, It was forever just a tad too low for kerbs, anything really; and it doesn't look at all odd without it, in fact it looks better removed than constantly bashed about a bit :blink:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links