Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Removal to change bulb 04 LS430

My Driver side dipped beam is not working - I have changed the bulb over (but not managed to plug it back into the headlight).

The bulb still does not light - The next point of call maybe the headlight ballast - to access this I need to remove the headlight.

Does anybody know wether this can be done without removing the bumper - the www gives conflicting information.

Also if the bulb sparks before going out indicate a ballast fault?

Any help would be appreciated.

The pre-facelift ones can be removed without removing the bumper so surely yours would be the same.  Without electrocuting yourself have you tried a multi meter on the bulb fitting?  I'm sure you're aware of how careful you have to be with the high voltage. 

I would not be using a multi meter to check anything on the bulb fitting.

The voltage is usually in the region of 25,000 volts AC unloaded. Your average meter is rated at about 700 volts AC or 1000 volts DC with insulation on the probes to match.

As an electronics engineer "retired" I do know what is involved. The running voltage is around 80 volts, but if the bulb arc goes out through lack of pressure the voltage springs back to 25,000. You do not need to be touching a wire or connection to get at best a nasty shock.

John