Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A little techie help required please

bluenose1940

I know that there are some really clever techie folk on this forum and so I am seeking a little help please.

My question revolves around some sort of CCTV thingy.  What I am looking to do is to install a single camera that will cover the frontage area between my house and the pavement, say about 50 feet wide by 42 feet deep. Ideally I want a camera that gives a good image in the dark and which can be connected to my computer by way of something simple such as a USB connection.  Would such a connection also power the camera or would it always need a mains powered connection?  I could either mount the camera either indoors (looking through a window) or outdoors under the soffit board where it would be dryish.  My computer is in the room where the window is that I would be using or, it would be outside that same window.  It would be quite easy to get any cables through the wall.  I would anticipate the recordings being made to a dedicated drive on my computer and am wondering what sort of size drive (gb) I would need that would hold say an overnight or hours of darkness amount of data.

I wouldn't know where to begin looking for what I want, nor indeed the type of camera that would meet my requirements and so, any help that you fellow members might offer will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I suppose I should ask, is there such a thing that I am looking for without going to a full blown CCTV system?  I have seen these advertised but they are way over the top for my needs.

The reason that I am looking to do this is because yesterday a number of cars on the opposite side of the road were all keyed by some idiotic moron who may well decide to have another go at some point.  I know that such an installation that I am considering won't guarantee catching any culprit but, every little helps as they say.  I might also catch the inconsiderate yeti who allows their dog to do its business on my lawn!

Thanks again for any help that may be offered.

Hi,

Currys has a nice selection of  outdoor CCTV cams.

They do NEST, Motorola and other brands. These are usually full HD , wide angle, night vision that connect by Wi-Fi with your PC and smartphone.

There are cheaper options of eBay but it would be Chinese so really no warranty and doubtful reliability.

I wouldn't bother with indoor cams.

Hope that helps.

In terms of hard drive size. PC will be sufficient and you can always ask for the one that sends to the cloud. It is a service that can cost annual subscription but sometimes comes free.

Plenty of options there. I'm sure they will find you one for your needs.

Pav

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links