Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,can anyone give me some advice,I am looking to replace the tyres on my 2009 gs300, currently running on Dunlops,but the Road noise is very obvious, any ideas on the best quiet tyres?,I don't do bundles of miles but the noise is a big issue for me,,any help would be great. IVe read so many tyre reviews my eyes are bleeding.

There will be many different opinions on this, and by far the most will say buy Michelins, but these are possibly the most expensive. My own preference is for Hankooks. Buying the tyres with the lowest db rating on the now compulsory tyre label should give you the quietest tyres. A reading of 68db is quiet, and you will find the level goes up to around 74db with some brands. 

I am testing some cheap tyres at the moment put on free of charge for me to asses over the next 10,000 miles. At the moment I can say they have exceeded my expectations in all aspects including noise level, but it would be unfair of me to disclose the brand until I have put at least 5000 miles on them. I am only at 500 miles at the moment. They are less than 1/3 of the price of so called top of the range tyres.

Tyres get noisy as they ware so your Dunlops are probably suffering from this. 

The tyre label gives information on wet grip fuel ecconomy, and noise level, so have a look at suggested tyres. The economy rating can make such a difference as to pay for the tyres in there life on fuel saving so do not ignore this rating, and the wet grip speaks for it's self on safety stopping distances.

John. 

• Like 3

Thanks for that John,,our tyre technician in work ( we have a big fleet) keeps banging on about anew tyre called Tigar,which are made by Michelin,trouble is,whatever I buy,they will be on it for a while so I have to do my homework.

Check the label/spec as John pointed out.

Dunlop Sportmaxx2's are one of the quietest rated boots I've seen. They're also fair all rounders.

Eagle F1 Assym2's were good but the latest 3rd version don't seem as popular.

Tyres are like Marmite tho and I'm interested to hear what other GS owners prefer.

• Like 1

Got a yokohama on my old is220d and it was really grippy and not that noisy. Got a gs was fitted with bridgestone and i would say that it is as good as the yokohama. Michellin i think is the best  but expensive. But Lexus cars is very quiet compared to other saloons. 

I know someone in london who can give you a very good price for premium tyres

• Like 1

Thanks for reply John,,,my gut it telling me Michelin,so I think that's what I'll go for,,,I should be able to get a pretty hefty discount from work so the damage won't be too great,,thanks again

I've got Michelin CrossClimates on my GS. I can't say they are any quieter than the ones that it came with, but the noise does not seem so harsh so it's easier to ignore. I think they've cut some of the higher frequency noise.

They only do XLs in the size I needed and there is more vibration coming through the steering wheel now, but I wouldn't say the ride is noticeably worse. I haven't tried them in the snow, but in cold wet weather they do corner with confidence and I haven't felt them lose grip or concern me in any way.

I think if I could have got non-XL tyres they would really suit the car, but there is a bit of a compromise with the vibration because they are XLs. You could say it helps you to feel more connected to the road though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 15/02/2017 at 10:36 PM, Britprius said:

There will be many different opinions on this, and by far the most will say buy Michelins, but these are possibly the most expensive. My own preference is for Hankooks. Buying the tyres with the lowest db rating on the now compulsory tyre label should give you the quietest tyres. A reading of 68db is quiet, and you will find the level goes up to around 74db with some brands. 

I am testing some cheap tyres at the moment put on free of charge for me to asses over the next 10,000 miles. At the moment I can say they have exceeded my expectations in all aspects including noise level, but it would be unfair of me to disclose the brand until I have put at least 5000 miles on them. I am only at 500 miles at the moment. They are less than 1/3 of the price of so called top of the range tyres.

Tyres get noisy as they ware so your Dunlops are probably suffering from this. 

The tyre label gives information on wet grip fuel ecconomy, and noise level, so have a look at suggested tyres. The economy rating can make such a difference as to pay for the tyres in there life on fuel saving so do not ignore this rating, and the wet grip speaks for it's self on safety stopping distances.

John. 

Are you up to 5000 miles on your tyres John?

John

13 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Are you up to 5000 miles on your tyres John?

John

I have now covered a little under 4,000 miles on the tyres. While it would still be unfair to give an accurate assessment on the ware rate "appears to be good" I can say the tyres are quiet, but not the quietest tyres I have used, grip well in both wet, and dry conditions, and give good steering response. This information is based on normal road use on mostly rural roads with no motorway use, but lots of spirited driving on the sort of roads enjoyed by "Big Rat, and company". I am not saying they are track day tyres, but good value normal motoring tyres. The tyres replaced a set of Yokohama's with around 5mm of tread, and compare favorably against these in all respects. 

I am now prepared to name them even though I have not reached 5,000 miles, and this is where I expect to get shot down in flames. The tyres are made in China and are Three A brand P606 rated for M&S but not winter tyres.

Price expect to pay £55 around each fitted, and balanced for 245/40/18's. I am not in any way connected with the tyre company or it's sales just an honest opinion on the tyres I have tested at as yet limited millage. Any further developments good or bad will be posted here.

John.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any further advice on choice of quiet 18" tyres for the GS300h?

The problem with the decibel rating published is that's OUTSIDE the car, not the noise in the cockpit.

I've got Dunlop SP Sports on at the moment, and the back ones are just weeks away from needing to be replaced.

I am still disappointed at how much road noise there is in the cabin. It's the one thing that the Lexus doesn't do as well as my old Merc E Class!

The noise inside the cockpit is entirely dependent on the noise insulation of the cockpit, and suspension bushing. The only way to measure the noise made by a tyre is from the outside as internal measurements would virtually meaningless. Every car would be different. 

John.

I read a test on Auto Express where they put microphones on the head rest when testing tyres.

I guess what you're saying, John, is that each vehicle will respond differently to a particular tyre?

It's a bit of a lottery I suppose!

That's about it. Also with a mike inside the car you are also measuring engine, transmission noise, and even wind noise. Road surfaces also have an enormous impact on noise levels that cannot be directed or attributed to the tyres.

John.

• Like 1

Just to update,I did fit four new Michelin Cross Climates to my car,,not a massive difference in the quietness,but the handling and steering,Road feel is very noticeable,,and Iam very pleased with these tyres,time will tell on wear.

On 01/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, keiron99 said:

Does anyone have any further advice on choice of quiet 18" tyres for the GS300h?

The problem with the decibel rating published is that's OUTSIDE the car, not the noise in the cockpit.

I've got Dunlop SP Sports on at the moment, and the back ones are just weeks away from needing to be replaced.

I am still disappointed at how much road noise there is in the cabin. It's the one thing that the Lexus doesn't do as well as my old Merc E Class!

As you note, the external ratings have no relationship at all with how loud the tyres will be inside the car. Worse, I have heard that some tyre manufacturers are now allegedly gaming the measuring system by using tread patterns that direct sound into the wheelarches (thus increasing internal noise) to make them quieter in the drive-by test! There is simply no way of knowing whether a given tyre will prove to be quieter in a given car, without actually fitting them!

I share your view about the excessive road noise in the GS, although I suspect tinnitus makes me more sensitive than most as it doesn't seem to be a common complaint. I may take a punt on Yokohama BluEarth when I replace the Bridgestones, as I have no interest in handling (the Yokos are rubbish apparently) but some reviews suggest they are supposedly quiet and economical which are the two things that I am after. However, I'm not expecting a dramatic improvement either way.

2 hours ago, Wabs42 said:

Just to update,I did fit four new Michelin Cross Climates to my car,,not a massive difference in the quietness,but the handling and steering,Road feel is very noticeable,,and Iam very pleased with these tyres,time will tell on wear.

I've got these on mine too. I agree that they are not noticeably quieter, but I think the sound is not as harsh as the original tyres and they can be virtually silent on right surface. I also agree that they handle really well in all conditions, very safe. The only issue I've found is a bit more vibration through the steering wheel, presumably because they are XL tyres. I've got used to that though.

I think they're very good tyres.

• 2 years later...

I have recently changed my 2013 E300 diesel (V6) for a 2015 GS 450h F-Sport. I have to admit, the first thing I noticed was tyre noise in the rear of the car after coming from the Merc.

The car is fitted with relatively new Dunlop Sport Maxx all round - pressures are good and tracking is correct. I too am looking to replace the Dunlops for something quieter next time - what were the OE fitting??

Paul

The quietest tyres i have driven on are my current Landsail UHP LS588's the ones these replaced were michelines which came with the car when i acquired it about a year ago.. list of tyres i have had on my previous Accord and Lexus's have been Pirelli Rosso's, Yokohama's, Bridgestone S001, Falken FK453,Good Year F1, Kumho HS51 ,PS31 and  PS71's  so i have had a mixture of so called premium and mid range tyres on my cars  and These Landsail's are by far the quietest and most comfortable tyres of them all.   this guy below echo's my take on the tyres. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnkFsv3oLM0&t=3s

neither him nor me have been paid by Landsail..

• Like 1

I have a Good Year Vector 4 seasons Gen 2 and find them very quite, very good on the wet and when we had little snow they were great too, not sure how they will behave when ambient temperature is above 7C but so far so good and they were cheaper then Michelin Cross Climates that I was also strongly considering before I bought Good Year.

Jeff I am also now using Landsail 558's, and agree with your findings. I have not yet had them on long enough to gauge tyre ware rate. They appear to be as good as triple "a" tyres i tested previously, but time will tell.

John.

• Like 1