Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hope you get that issue sorted soon

........  what is there above the alternator that could leak oil ?

isn't it just the power steering fluid from somewhere in the system ?

I had a catastrophic pas oil leak ( thread on here from a while back ) and the leak was from the gubbins steel pipework above there somewhere. It didn't cause any collateral damage and all the fandangled steel pipework was replaced with appropriate flexi hose and clips  ......  and a copper tube for the cooler pipes ( which do go usually at this age ) and all at my indy guy's very economic repair costs...............  plus of course the car being transported to him  £100  BUT ever so much cheaper than Lexus doing the job whatever  ......... and my local garages would only replace the " gubbins " with OEM Lexus parts at some enormous ridiculous cost.

viz:  the copper tube run cost £3.84 I think ( plumbers merchant ) and the Lexus steel pipe was about ?? £180 if my memory serves me ..................  it's all on my old thread if you want to look it up.

Malc

Its always best to add a short vid clip with narration on this sort of post, there might well be plenty posters out there who have had the same prob and might be able to contribute to the replies if they saw things they recognised visualy but not in wiring & so dont post at all.Lets face most makes and models of cars have all kinds of 'gubbins'is' all over the place

the gubbins is the conglomeration of steel pipework ( hidden from view ) above the pas pump above the alternator and is the power steering fluid pipework itself as is the cooler pipe that runs in front of the radiator.

Looking at my post earlier ( as mentioned ) might help           " Catastrophic power Steering leak "          or summat like that

Malc

If it is engine oil there are only two sources  that can get to your alternator from that part of the engine and that is the rocker box cover and the  gasket to the right bank camshaft end cover (front)  and to be frank it would need to be a sizeable leak to get into the alternator.

There will be a lot of oil running down the front and side of the block which should be dry .

Can I ask why you are so sure it is not power steering fluid .

Def not power steering fluid.

reason I know is because I experienced this last June so I chanaged the black rubber pipe and the alternator had red liquid on it.

But this time it is black and when I took it to the alternator repair he confirmed that it is oil which has burnt the alternator.

The mechanic did say there was quite a lot of engine oil on floor in morning when I left it overnight.

If it is rocker cover or camshaft are they easy to do do you know.

Thank you 

The rocker cover is easy and it would be a new gasket requirement they are not a common problem for leaking and it could be that in the past the rocker cover as been taken off and not replaced properly.

The camshaft cover is a different problem in that there should not be any oil in that unit and if there is it will be because the camshaft seal as failed,I would get your mechanic to do a front end inspection and clean off to investigate the leak source as these engines are normally bone dry on the outside.

On my Mark 1 the camshaft seals on the rear end of the engine got a bit oil damp towards the 160k time but it did'nt run out so I took no action but your problem is needing attention.

Just a few thoughts - engine oil is rarely black in these engines unless the engine has had a very hard life with no oil changes.

Not seen a change of colour in my own car when oil changed. 

Have you checked your Gearbox level? 

If you had a pin hole in one of the transmission rubber pipes perhaps it could be spurting upward on to the Alternator, but it would likely be red,  or brown if you are running below level

On the Toyota 1JZ and 2JZ VVTI engines it is quite common for the VVTi gear assembly to leak after 60,000 miles. I am busy addressing this in my Soarer VVTi. Could be this if you are getting leakage from the front of the VVTI UZFE (or the cam gaskets, as mentioned.)

Excellent tutorial thread to help,

If mine started having this problem ( much like the M104 Mercedes Engine which loved to leak at the front but fortunately was not onto the Alternator - I loved that W140) I'd be tempted to make a shield for the Alternator and just keep an eye on the oil level, topping up as necessary.

Too much work for Moi to attempt, and looks like a very expensive fix to have sorted.  I've drawn the line at sorting a Starter Motor which (not tempting fate I hope) so far has not occured.

The previous owner had a power steering pump leak and the garage he used put in a treatment. That was about 4 years ago and it's still holding. I would have had the pump reconditioned myself but I'm keeping the car for a long time. I believe the seals go inside the pump not just on the reservoir.

• 3 months later...

Just bought from a yard sale an unopened bottle of "Stop it" power steering stop leak and conditioner for £1

Shall I contaminate the fluid next time it needs a dripple of top up?  Hmmm not sure but interesting to read above comments and anyone else's experience. Worst experience can be replacement pump needed if doesn't work.

5 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Just bought from a yard sale an unopened bottle of "Stop it" power steering stop leak and conditioner for £1

Shall I contaminate the fluid next time it needs a dripple of top up?  Hmmm not sure but interesting to read above comments and anyone else's experience. Worst experience can be replacement pump needed if doesn't work.

I'm currently having my pump rebuilt by Kelly bray steering down in Cornwall for a very reasonable £115 so I'll let u know how that turns out. It's fried my alternator and although there is some oil leaking Its mostly just stuck to the block and not dripping at all. I figured even if the pump is not leaking yet (which I think it is) it's only a matter of time so might as well do it now whilst I've everything apart! 

39 minutes ago, ls400lpg said:

I have used lucas power steering leak. 3 months later no issues.

Did you just top up the lost fluid as needed until it seemed not to go below the level? Or did you siphon the existing fluid from the Reservoir and top up to mix with existing fluid elsewhere in the system?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links