Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Pump issue?

Deet27

Strange one this is, a few months ago I did an Engine Oil and Filter change as I have done many times before. 

Run Car to warm oil, Drain oil, Change Filter, refill with oil, run car and recheck/Top up

The following morning started car it fired and died immediately, worried it was Timing Belt I checked it and was fine. Looked around the engine bay to see if i had dislodged a pipe or connector after doing the oil change and all seemed fine. Wanted to check the fuel pump but could not get the seat up.

The engine was spinning at a good speed but not firing only tried for 5-10sec I was low on fuel as the light had only just come on but was sure I was not empty. Put two cans of petrol in the tank (10ltrs ) and after a few splutters fired and started.

Come to the conclusion that I am an idiot for running out of fuel

This morning same happened again, Started car, Fired once and died. Tried starting again just turning over not firing. Im not a person to keep cranking over the car when there is obviously something wrong. Used the wifes car as did not have the time to start mucking abut with the Lexus. About ¼ tank of fuel and I did a oil & Filter change yesterday.

Got 5ltrs of fuel as the Fuel gauge might be wrong, again checked all around the engine and Timing Belt all good, Put the fuel in and after 5-10sec of cranking started to splutter and started.

I find it odd that this has happened both after doing an oil change.

My Gut feeling is that it might be the signs of the Fuel pump starting to go, does that seem likely signs/behaviour? Its difficult to know as when you switch the ignition on the Brake Booster will prime twice so you cannot hear the fuel pump priming 

Regards Dietmar

• 2 months later...

is it doing this without any throttle being applied? I'm not aware of any direct connection to oil and/or filter as far as running is concerned. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

18 hours ago, TigerFish said:

is it doing this without any throttle being applied? I'm not aware of any direct connection to oil and/or filter as far as running is concerned. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

From what i can recall no throttle, don't usually touch the throttle when starting. It was behaving it was like the immobiliser had kicked in. (I did not disconnect battery)

Fuel filter has not been changed since I have had the car 136k to 183k Miles, on My to do list.

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Once you got in started did it continue to run correctly?

When it started it spluttered for 10 secs or so then ran correctly, done 10k miles since and not had any issues or no starts since. The only thing that I have noticed is on the very rare occasion (5-6 times over 3 months ) when I have come to a full stop in drive the idle seem to be low like it was about to stall (450rpm ish) put it into neutral and revs pick up to 600 ish tap the throttle and it revs fine.