Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all , i have fitted a xcarlink interface to my ls460 to pair up with a ipod classic 160gb , i nave a good engineering background so installing these things correctly isnt a problem . On completion the ipod got hot quickly and was trying to reboot itself constantly and there was no display,The ipod still works well in its house or garage dock . i spoke to the guys at xcarlink and they suggested that it was a ipod problem, so i used my sons ipod touch, this played music  but with no display and a constant background interference ,( to me this suggest that the unit is not suppressed or it is picking up an electrical field from the car wiring harness, a routing problem) .The guys at carlink have been  as helpful as possible over the phone but i am removing and returning their unit tomorrow. 

In my previous  ls430 i installed a Viastech unit which worked well if all the music was in playlists.

Can anyone of you helpful people suggest another piece of kit which will allow full use of all controls ,keep the cd working and allow me to enjoy the brilliant Mark Levison system, 

I am going to email viastech and see what they suggest for the 460 , 

Many thanks 

Take care

Keith

I'm not familiar with alternatives, but I've also been looking recently at Vaistech. I contacted them and they were very quick to respond and suggest options. From what I can gather their device looks to be the most integrated with the built-in 'infotainment' cluster. Seems like whatever is chosen it just shows as an aux input. The main selling point with this approach is that you can use existing steering wheel controls and it shows what's playing on the LCD screen. Don't think we'll get better than that with other offerings, or at least not easily.

GROM is another option, but doesn't look to add anything extra.

[edit]

actually the GROM example video in that link does look quite cool and have extra features, but would check how compatible it is with your LS. 

Thanks Paul i have never heard of GROM .i did check the video out.  I have been in contact with viastech (the same person i bought the unit for the 430 from) and he suggested that i would use the MML unit for the 460.The cost is 250usd i left a message that i would go ahead if they paid the shipping, Maybe if we ordered a unit each they might be more willing to ship for free (cheeky i know , but worth a try) would that be something you would be interested in?. I am located in St Helens.If you wish to discuss this or need help fitting any unit you get  please feel free to contact me 07899684249

regards Keith

http://www.vaistech.com/product-category/usb-aux-input/

Yes, the MML-T1 was the one I was inquiring about with them. This was looking to install in a 2005 LS430. If you can negotiate a deal then I may be interested :). Also re: fitting, I can likely manage it but if you've experience in ripping out the cluster then that's a possibility too ;). I do have the tools, but not tried this on an LS myself.

I am expecting an email from viastech tomorrow , i will suggest the possibility of buying two units and taking it from there.

It is quite easy to remove all that beautiful  wood to gain access to head unit

Your location in Merseyside can't be  far away so it wouldn't be a problem to help if needed

• Like 1

Hi Keith, when you asked about ipod connectivity I mentioned a "Y" harness from the firm you used to buy your ipod kit from.  The Y harness allows you to maintain the use of the CD changer.   Without the Y harness there is insufficient docking in the rear of the audio unit. 

Regards

Steve

Y harness for ipod kit.jpg

Cheers Steve i did install the supplied y cable on the xcarlink unit and that part worked well....but i have since removed and returned the complete unit due to other problems ,i am now considering a viastech option . I fitted one to my 430 with good results 

Thanks for your input

Keith

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links