Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H driver side rear view mirror fog problem

Hi All, 

RX400H driver side rear view mirror fog/condensation is not cleared even defogger button is on. Only fogs/condensation of passenger side rear view mirror and rear window is cleared.

all these 3 have separate fuses or not? what could be the problem

any idea

cheers

Dag 

Has this worked in the past? I have just (last week) bought an RX400h, the car sales place had tried to stick a replacement mirror on top of the existing cracked one, they actually cracked the new one when putting it on; and said they'd post me a new stick on one. I got to thinking this wouldn't de-fog due to the stickers etc so I ordered a new heated one from eBay fro around £15.

9 minutes ago, Shortandstrange said:

Has this worked in the past? I have just (last week) bought an RX400h, the car sales place had tried to stick a replacement mirror on top of the existing cracked one, they actually cracked the new one when putting it on; and said they'd post me a new stick on one. I got to thinking this wouldn't de-fog due to the stickers etc so I ordered a new heated one from eBay fro around £15.

I bought it 2 weeks ago as well. Not sure if it was working. If you stick one on the previous one, still will not work, will it? I've seen after market one around that price on eBay. Before I buy new one, I wanted to to know what is behind the mirror glass, but cant manage to take it out of its housing yet,

regards

I can't see how it would work if it's had something stuck over the top of it, there would most likely be too much distance for the heat to transfer through (the replacement ones have sticky pads around 2mm thick) I bought the one in the link below, not fitted yet, NOTE: The link is for the drivers side mirror.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371774972684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

6 minutes ago, Shortandstrange said:

I can't see how it would work if it's had something stuck over the top of it, there would most likely be too much distance for the heat to transfer through (the replacement ones have sticky pads around 2mm thick) I bought the one in the link below, not fitted yet, NOTE: The link is for the drivers side mirror.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371774972684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You have to take old/broken one out. and put new one in. Is there any electric connector/plug   at back of the the mirror you bought from eBay.  

I've had a look on various sites and good old YouTube, looks like you tilt the mirror facing up (using the controls) and it clips out from the bottom then the top, I think there's 2 or 3 connectors on it, looks like a 5 minute job. I actually plan to do this sometime today so will let you know how easy it is.

• Like 1

There are numerous threads on this forum regarding mirror glasses and how to replace them - do a search.

Sticking a new one on top of the old one is a bodged job that will simply not work. Moreover, the side mirrors are linked to the internal one: at night, all three are electrochromatic and darken at night. The side mirrors also dip down when the reverse is selected... you will need to be careful not to damage the wires and the mechanism when removing the old glass.

I may be wrong, but I am not convinced that the glass you have ordered is a genuine replacement. There is no mention of the darkening function, and I do not remember the mirrors in the RX400h being convex! Finally, if you look at the reviews, several people mentionned that these replacements don't fit!!!

Update: I removed the old mirror (10 second job, just pull from the bottom then unhook from the top) but couldn't fit the new one, one of the top clips did't fit, I tried to open it up a bit and it snapped, would not recommend the eBay one, as DanD said, defo not an original part, I will have a look for a genuine one I think.

One thing that worries me is that there are 2 small clips with the same colour wires (I assume one must be positive and the other negative?) and one larger clip with a wire on it (there wasn't one of these on the replacement)

Plan B...

I have a question about this, has anyone been able to remove the glass from the plastic bit that clips into the mirror? I wonder if a hair dryer would do the trick? Just priced up an original mirror from Lexus and they are £327!! I can get a replacement glass for around £5 off eBay...

Search the forum for "mirror glass" and you will find a number of threads on this topic. Some include instructions on how to best remove the glass, others include links for the sourcing of replacements, etc...

Go to the top right of this screen and click into the search field

Select "this forum"

Type in "mirror glass", or whatever you wish to search for

Hit enter or click on the magnifying glass

• Like 1

Okay so in the end I removed the original cracked mirror from the backing plate and siliconed a new replacement glass on top, heated part won't work but some breakers were quoting as much as £255.60 for the GLASS ONLY, think I can live with a bit of moisture...