Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roaring sound when braking or turning

Great advice is200 newbie. Much appreciated. 

I actually feel confident about it now and can't wait to have a crack at it Friday afternoon. Just need to pick up some copper grease and I'm all set.

I use Toyota red rubber grease - what Lexus uses

I have not used copper grease (copperease can be used on anti squeal shims on the pads) I am not too sure about what type of grease you mean by copper grease.

If you have a Toyota or Lexus dealer near you then pop into the service dept and get a tube of this - part number Toyota Rubber Grease 08887-83010

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Maybe someone that uses copper grease can confirm its ok to use on pins?

And for christs sake double, triple and quadruple check everything as you reassemble, clean everything as you disassemble and if you need take photos as you go along to refer to.

You can also refer to the other wheel assembly.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Is200 newbie I have some grease for the slide pins that won't perish the rubber.

The copper grease I need to buy is to smear on back of pads to stop any brake squealing.

• Like 1

Not sure where this expression 'floating brake discs' comes from - I've seen it before. It implies that the discs move (relative to the hub) - they don't - they're completely clamped by the wheel and its nuts. It's just that there's no screw to secure the discs to the hub. They are usually pretty well stuck with rust though.

If they don't just fall off with a tap or two, there's an 8mm threaded hole into which you can screw a bolt (M8) and that will push the disc off.

3 hours ago, johnatg said:

Not sure where this expression 'floating brake discs' comes from - I've seen it before. It implies that the discs move (relative to the hub) - they don't - they're completely clamped by the wheel and its nuts. It's just that there's no screw to secure the discs to the hub. They are usually pretty well stuck with rust though.

If they don't just fall off with a tap or two, there's an 8mm threaded hole into which you can screw a bolt (M8) and that will push the disc off.

Not sure of the modern interpretation John, but the first time I heard the phrase was when describing the brakes of an BMW E34 M5.  In that case, it referred to the way the disc mounted on the Bell housing.  On the M5, it was like this:

Floating_Hub_Brake.jpg

Exactly - floating discs, such as those used on bikes and the BMW M5 can move slightly. The disc and bell housing are separate and the disc is mounted on bobbins or pegs. Lexus discs are one piece - the disc and bell housing is all one casting - and are solidly fixed, by virtue of being clamped by the wheel.

22 hours ago, peachy said:

Great advice is200 newbie. Much appreciated. 

I actually feel confident about it now and can't wait to have a crack at it Friday afternoon. Just need to pick up some copper grease and I'm all set.

I hope you were doing this indoors ... how did you get on?

Well I've put new pads and discs on and the brakes work fine. 

Problem is when I jack the car up and spin the front wheels both pads are slightly rubbing on the discs 

Is this normal or have I done some wrong? 

Yes I pushed the calipers back with a g clamp and it moved no problem. The discs were in a sorry state though.

Got the new pads and discs on now and it's nice and smooth and quiet. I was very surprised at how easy it actually was and saved a fortune in garage labour. 

• Like 1

Probably the discs then.

Yep, I changed the discs and pads when I first got mine and it was straightforward.  There are a lot of little jobs you can do if you have the space and tools, which I unfortunately no longer have access to.

It can also be very satisfying when you complete a job knowing you did it yourself.

Pads and discs quite easy to do on lexus compared to mercs, yrs ago had e320cdi 2002 thought do pads and discs myself and to my surprise to take calipers off you needed special star key to take calipers off so off I went to Halfords and bought 1.managed to do it then, used to do small jobs like that myself but now haven't got time or tools now, when you lend tools you never get them back. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links