Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

looking for a new mk4

im looking for a new mk4 theres a couple dotted abou tand dealers seem to be snatching them and asking obscene money .if anyone knows off anyone selling or thinking of selling id appreciate any help regards steve

a full up to date lexus history would be very rare and not expected all im after is a service record to show some form of upkeep to determine what has been done and what needs to be done

I'm also looking for the same car pretty much! Light interior. Flexible on paint colour. Anyone who has a good one please feel free to let me know :-) even if it's just to have a look at what a sorted one should look like. I'm in stoke on trent in North staffs.

Well soon has bought it! I spoke to a chap about the blue one on eBay this morning. 

He said this. 

Paint work, yes the boot lid, above the rear light and the front bumper is chippy 
Some rust around the rear window 
It may need a couple of bushes for an mot?
And at speed the brake has some wobble so I would say new disc and pads on the front would be good
Rear look like they have been done 
Ariel is missing 

Sounds like a lot but is priced accordingly 

Wouldn't take much to make it perfect

Any thoughts? He's asking £1400 for it. Seems to have a set of matching Avon Tyres. I'm unsure it's worth the work. Or are my expectations too high?

If you want it perfect then you will need to spray bumpers and boot lid - front brakes - Pagid dsics with ferrodo pads wont cost alot and i think once it has had a good valet it will look alot better especially the interior - blue is very smart colour - If I was looking I would go and have a look - if test drive goes well would offer £1k

It was priced at £1500 originally but has been reduced to £1400

Sounds like you'll be spending at least £500 or so on it, plus whatever the mot needs?

Unsure about the rust around the window - you would need to see good pics of that, potentially caused by screen fitter?

Its a great colour combo and looks great in the pics; I say get some pics of the rust, and get the wheel arches checked out too, especially the sills in front of the rear wheels.

Thanks guys I appreciate your advice on this. I think if I could get if for a grand it would be worth the work. I'm handy with a spanner so I'm not afraid of doing brakes etc. I've asked for some pics of the rust but not had any reply yet. It's a 4hr drive to view so I want to be fairly happy before I make that effort. I do like the colour inside and out though. Looks very classy :-) 

Bodywork is not my area so I'd have to get that done my a pro. 

Are the sills in front of the rear wheels a common issue? Not heard much about them having rust issues. 

The mot mentions a minor y pipe exhaust leak and vertical play in the steering. But that was 27k miles ago which it covered in 1 year

Saw one mk4 going in that sill area when I was looking - and have caught mine just in time.  It's a ready made muck trap unfortunately, I scraped a third of a carrier bag full of muck from all 4 arches, now cleaned and prepped with dynax s50.

Have read of at least one other on this site with the issue and which needed welding. So maybe not commonly reported or maybe owners have not checked these areas?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cornershop said:

Saw one mk4 going in that sill area when I was looking - and have caught mine just in time.  It's a ready made muck trap unfortunately, I scraped a third of a carrier bag full of muck from all 4 arches, now cleaned and prepped with dynax s50.

Have read of at least one other on this site with the issue and which needed welding. So maybe not commonly reported or maybe owners have not checked these areas?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll. Make sure to have a good poke around. I've been stung my rust before although that was an mgb so they pretty much came out of the factory rusty.

4 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Well soon has bought it! I spoke to a chap about the blue one on ebay this morning. 

He said this. 

Paint work, yes the boot lid, above the rear light and the front bumper is chippy 
Some rust around the rear window 
It may need a couple of bushes for an mot?
And at speed the brake has some wobble so I would say new disc and pads on the front would be good
Rear look like they have been done 
Ariel is missing 

Sounds like a lot but is priced accordingly 

Wouldn't take much to make it perfect

Any thoughts? He's asking £1400 for it. Seems to have a set of matching Avon tyres. I'm unsure it's worth the work. Or are my expectations too high?

Too much money 

On 18/02/2017 at 9:05 AM, ste42 said:

im looking for a new mk4 theres a couple dotted abou tand dealers seem to be snatching them and asking obscene money .if anyone knows off anyone selling or thinking of selling id appreciate any help regards steve

Second one in the collection? :wink3:

So he's sent me some more pics and it looks like it has rust around the rear screen.  Probably a poorly fitted new rear window I would think at some point. Is this a big job? It's also only got 1 key. I'm starting to think this is not worth it.  Any thoughts ?

IMG-20170224-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170224-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170224-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170224-WA0000.jpg

I have never seen an LS rust like that. I would walk and so should you as you are already doubting if its the car for you. I can always change or get repaired  mechanicals quite easily but when it comes down to getting parts of the car resprayed its a no no for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluesman said:

I have never seen an LS rust like that. I would walk and so should you as you are already doubting if its the car for you. I can always change or get repaired  mechanicals quite easily but when it comes down to getting parts of the car resprayed its a no no for me.

Thanks for that, I think you're right. It's got an ever growing list of issues and I'm looking for a long term car. Not the one for me I think. The wait continues. 

2 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Thanks for that, I think you're right. It's got an ever growing list of issues and I'm looking for a long term car. Not the one for me I think. The wait continues. 

Wise move. You need to be happy with your purchase and not get annoyed each time you see it with all its faults.