Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint fade

Hi all. My is 220d has a faded nearside rearquarter panel that is badly faded. I have tried G3 paint renovator, without much success. Can anyone give me some pointers as to how to get it back to the colour of the rest of the car?. Its a red car. Thanks for any help.

Will look for some tomorrow, i will be at Halfords at 10 in the morning. Thanks for the help.Watched some vids on youtube today, ultimate compound refurbs red paint according to them. Also looked at turtle wax for dark red paintwork, comes complete with a stonechip pen.

Edited by Psychotic Madman
To addsomething.

Curious as to why just the one panel is faded?

Faded paint restoration usually requires removal of the oxidised layer, so a cutting compound followed by a polish and sealer is required.

Back 'in the day' one would use T-Cut and Simoniz .. Now I would give the Meguiar's range a look.

I dont want any t-cut anywhere near my car, i have heard bad things about it. Turtle is just something i was looking at, but i am cautious about it. I think i will try thr Mer or Maguiers. i will post when i have used them with my results. Thanks for the replies.

On 19/02/2017 at 0:35 AM, Psychotic Madman said:

I dont want any t-cut anywhere near my car, i have heard bad things about it. Turtle is just something i was looking at, but i am cautious about it. I think i will try thr Mer or Maguiers. i will post when i have used them with my results. Thanks for the replies.

T-cut has a bad name because its probably the most aggressive polish you can get. The reason for that is because its designed for hand use and therefore needs to be aggressive to do the work. 

Basically, if T-cut doesn't make an impact, I doubt anything will. 

I personally would have reached for Autoglym Paint Renovator in this situation - a no nonsense product. 

If it is true oxidation, it will come off easy, if not, you might require a respray. I would hazard a guess that the panel has been resprayed poorly in the past, especially since only 1 is affected. It shouldn't really be oxidising anyway as its a clearcoat-ed paint

• Like 1

On 20/02/2017 at 11:06 AM, messi said:

Personally I wouldnt even use Autoglym stuff on the body of my car. It goes all powedery sometimes, plus theres stuff out there thats much better than Autoglym 

Like what exactly?

You do realise that Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the best filling polish currently on the market right? detailing forums like detailingworld.co.uk and cleanyourcar.co.uk have done plenty of comparisons against many polishes over the years and AG SRP comes out on top most of the time.

"It goes all powdery" - no it doesnt, you're using too much.

But hey, if you want to pay the detailing tax for a fancy box then go ahead, but don't be foolish enough to think its a better product.

A detailing god once said "its not the product but the technique" and 99% of the time, that's true.

• Like 1

I dont get why your so defensive about Autoglym SRP, Its only my opinion. Autofinesse do something similer to what SRP is, but I prefer Autofinesse product. I do like Autoglyms leather cleaner although Dodo Juice do something thats better but thats about it. Each to their own.

On 21/02/2017 at 8:27 PM, messi said:

I dont get why your so defensive about Autoglym SRP, Its only my opinion. Autofinesse do something similer to what SRP is, but I prefer Autofinesse product. I do like Autoglyms leather cleaner although Dodo Juice do something thats better but thats about it. Each to their own.

No, Im not being defensive, im being reasonable. 

To quote you said "personally I wouldnt even use Autoglym stuff on the body of my car"

That gives the impression to readers that all their products are rubbish. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I have had a go at it over the last couple of weekends, with no joy. Seems it is a badly painted panel,(well spotted Rayanns). Looks like it has been painted by a roadside artist with a tent, then the tent taken down and damp has got to it before the paint has hardened.

On 09/03/2017 at 6:41 PM, Psychotic Madman said:

Update. I have had a go at it over the last couple of weekends, with no joy. Seems it is a badly painted panel,(well spotted Rayanns). Looks like it has been painted by a roadside artist with a tent, then the tent taken down and damp has got to it before the paint has hardened.

Any improvement or is it looking like a respray?