Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know a lot of people take the engine covers off and leave them off so they can see any issues with the engine components.

Has anyone tried to repair the fixing points on the covers?

One of mine has been broken for a while - I had glued it a while back (cant remember what with, might have been superglue cant remember) Had another go today at fixing it as I had the cover off the car but used a 2 part epoxy, roughed the plastic up and and gave it a good blob of epoxy all around the joint. Will leave it until tomorrow to see how strong it has set - anyone else fixed theirs, if so with what?

These fixings on the plastic cover are not strong at all as the other similar one to the one that's broke is a bit loose (stressed white plastic where it meets the cover is showing) and the other fixing - one at the rear of the cover is broke on two sides but held on by a further piece.

I guess it could be heat damage .... As the fixing is broke I can hear it vibrate when at low speeds.

IMAG01333.jpg

IMAG0134.jpgIMAG0135.jpg

Mine had a broken clip when I bought the car - I made up a bit of reinforcement with a very short piece of plastic pipe and glued it all back together with Araldite. It's lasted 5 years so far!

I think the front clips get broken when people try and remove the cover by lifting the front. Always lift the rear of the cover first then lift the front. To engage, locate on the front clips first - use the oil filler hole as a guide - then push down at the back. The workshop manual warns about the risk of breaking the cover if you do it incorrectly!

24 minutes ago, johnatg said:

Mine had a broken clip when I bought the car - I made up a bit of reinforcement with a very short piece of plastic pipe and glued it all back together with Araldite. It's lasted 5 years so far!

I think the front clips get broken when people try and remove the cover by lifting the front. Always lift the rear of the cover first then lift the front. To engage, locate on the front clips first - use the oil filler hole as a guide - then push down at the back. The workshop manual warns about the risk of breaking the cover if you do it incorrectly!

Sounds like a common fault then john. 

1 hour ago, johnatg said:

Good advise - would be handy to have that indicated in the cars manual but theres no real need to take it off really on a regular basis for maintenance.

So far the 2 part epoxy is looking like it will hold better than before. Will need to put a blob of grease over the rubber poppers before pushing on as the rubber on the poppers is quite hard.

All my covers have been removed, nobody has given a valid reason as to why they should be there in the first place other than cosmetic purposes.

On the plus side I can inspect the engine bay for anything untoward i.e. leaks and take appropriate action.

leave them off, engine looks much "prettier" anyway.

As there would be a cost involved in designing and supplying an engine cover, I'd bet there is a good reason for having it there. Certainly not just cosmetic. Your average driver doesn't lift the bonnet just to admire the engine.

Noise reduction, heat retention, air flow control. ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

As there would be a cost involved in designing and supplying an engine cover, I'd bet there is a good reason for having it there. Certainly not just cosmetic. Your average driver doesn't lift the bonnet just to admire the engine.

Noise reduction, heat retention, air flow control. ....

Noise reduction ,,,,plenty of noise reduction material fitted under the bonnet 

Heat retention,,,,, why would you retain heat? The radiator and thermostat will control the heat

Air flow? Explain 

If there are any potential problems developing I will see them long before you with the covers on.

3 minutes ago, Gramera flash said:

Noise reduction ,,,,plenty of noise reduction material fitted under the bonnet 

Heat retention,,,,, why would you retain heat? The radiator and thermostat will control the heat

Air flow? Explain 

If there are any potential problems developing I will see them long before you with the covers on.

Covers are cosmetic so when people lift the bonnet they are daunted. Its a ploy from the manufacturer, having said that mine are on.

If a major fault occurs that is what the engine management light etc are for. I take mine off 3 times a year, to clean dust from the engine and check 

all hoses and belts. I personally do not think its a pretty engine with covers off. But its good every one has there own opinion.

• Like 1

Covers do provide sound deadening - the foam on the undercover provides this. They will also prevent a lot of loose dirt from landing on the engine.

Anyway ...

I will keep mine on as they will only get battered around in the garage if left off. I can see the reasoning for having them left off but theres no hassle in removing them if the securing points were stronger.

I had glued the securing points back on the cover - put the cover back on this morning and the epoxy looks like its "rock ard" but I have amended the securing clips to make them a bit more secure - simple process really

The securing points I have circled in Yellow (3 of)

IMAG0136.jpg

I greased these up before offering the cover back on and I also done the same to the rubber points on the cover.

IMAG0137.jpg

Before putting the cover back on and to make it a lot more secure and to make it easier to press into place without squashing the rubber securing caps on the cover I cut 2 small pieces of MDF and placed then in the recess in the rubber clips as shown below - why this was not done at the manufacturing stage who knows??   :wallbash:

IMAG0138.jpgIMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

The cover went on real easy - a combination of the grease and the MDF plug. Will see how long this lasts but it looks to be solid.

I used the epoxy shown below - just another type of 2 part glue but specific for plastic repairs

IMAG0141.jpg

Was out in car this morning and no annoying low speed rattles anymore.

Happy Days  :yahoo:

• Like 2

Hi ,I have not had this problem on my Lexus ,but on previous cars with plastic breakages I have had success with a 2 part epoxy sold specifically to repair plastic bumpers ,this should work if all else fails .

Dave

22 hours ago, johnatg said:

Hmm....'MDF' and 'Lexus' doesn't quite gel, does it? :wacko:

My little piece of plastic pipe does much the same job. But Lexus could have made the cover clips a bit less flimsy!

1 word - MacGyver

Seemed to have worked well - just needed something under the rubber washer to stop the whole thing squashing when pressing it down to secure.