Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Infiniti G60 2.0 T

It must be a seriously good drivers car, because it's certainly not a looker.

Luckly I am commited for the next 30 months with my RC so don't even need to consider it!

It looks like a cross between something designed for the Chinese market and a Jag XF, discuss.....

NB. Saving hard for an LC or New Supra

It's not a marque I know anything about, you certainly do not see many about of any of the models, more than happy with my ISf, and having had the opportunity to drive other models in the range with different power plants im a hooked convert !

I was curious more than anything with more manufactures offering turbo fours, shame Lexus don't bring over the 350 there is certainly a gap to fill.

Big Rat

I saw a Q60 200T only last week in Switzerland similarly displayed in a shopping centre.  It looks better in real life than in

pictures, and the quality impression is undoubtedly high, but the design is clumsy compared to the RC.  As far as I could

ascertain from the advertised figures in the absence of a sales person the performance is no better than that of the RC200t.

What was impressive, though, was the fact that the car is offered, in Switzerland at least, with a 10-Year warranty.

Were you falling over each time you took a pic ?  :laugh:

Agreed it certainly isn't that aesthetically pleasing from the outside, but the inside looks OK. As you say the 2.0T looks like a direct competitor for the RC200T but what is interesting is at least they have a sporty version in their range, but 5.0s for 0 -62mph sprint is not that impressive from a 3.0 twin turbo engine. 

Be interesting to see which engine type they end up selling more of. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martin F said:

Were you falling over each time you took a pic ?  :laugh:

Agreed it certainly isn't that aesthetically pleasing from the outside, but the inside looks OK. As you say the 2.0T looks like a direct competitor for the RC200T but what is interesting is at least they have a sporty version in their range, but 5.0s for 0 -62mph sprint is not that impressive from a 3.0 twin turbo engine. 

Be interesting to see which engine type they end up selling more of. 

I shall blame Mrs Rat for the rubbish pictures cough..... cough.....

Big Rat

That is pretty much the only option if one is not fancy RC200t or RC300h. Obviously, not this 2.0t bucket, but 3.5L version they have. I am still so upset Lexus didn't introduce RC350 in UK.

A six cylinder petrol six just seem to suit a car the size of an IS,  RC, from a purely driving perspective the power to weight ratio of a car weighing something like the aforementioned do makes for a pretty good steer ah well there it is ☹️

Big Rat

Looks good from the outside IMO - slightly different to the norm. 

The interior is a bit awkward though - reminds me of the interior from the Gen3 GS i.e. looks dated already

Gear lever looks really tall and the 2 screens are just odd.

If the steering is anything like the Q50, it'll be annoying to drive.

medium-9193-q602.0-litre.jpg?itok=7m3Fyw

Never really been impressed with the Infinity interior design. Overly fussy, with far too many buttons and the quality is not as convincingly as good as in a Lexus equivalent. Too many crreaks and rattles too. To me they look more like a luxury Hyundai/Kia...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DanD said:

Never really been impressed with the Infinity interior design. Overly fussy, with far too many buttons and the quality is not as convincingly as good as in a Lexus equivalent. Too many crreaks and rattles too. To me they look more like a luxury Hyundai/Kia...

That what they are... Don't forget it is made to impress "the american" - so they took all standard Nissan nobs and switches added some bling and gloss and nightclub LED lights - good to go. I am sorry to say, because I am sure there are some americans who actually have taste, but by comparison with local produce this is already next level.. we talking that local manufacturers don't even manage the panels to fit... and they probably even market these as kind of bonus, because you can keep you change (or more likely spare bullets in US) in these gaps.

I personally don't mind the exteriour... it is "different", not as nice as RC, but definitely stands out, as well they have proper engine as an option, whereas RC doesn't (except of "F" of course, but that one is not for daily). But in the end I must agree interior is true weak spot on this car. Nothing like Lexus connoisseur selection of best quality materials and luxury understated looks.

Final, point.... Q60 3l would be nice option in place of missing RC350, but properly spec'ed is kind of expensive (3L version is only available in Sport trim, which adds like £8k over standard luxury), it works out more expensive than say BMW 430 M-Sport, or even MB C300 Coupe, whereas again outside only serves particular taste of "different" people (I personally like it), inside is outright botched and the value will drop like a rock as well. So at 42k base price I doubt they sell much.

As well, just wanted to note in this model rather brilliant 3.5l V6 was replaced with rather s*** 3.0T engine, still better tan Lexus 2.0T, but not as much fun as old 3.5... thought it is still V6 and not disappointing in-line 4 like in RC300h. Actually 2.0t is MB engine same one you would find in new C200t... though I still think 2l engine is for hothatches and not for Luxury Coupes.

29 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

That what they are... Don't forget it is made to impress "the american" - so they took all standard Nissan nobs and switches added some bling and gloss and nightclub LED lights - good to go. I am sorry to say, because I am sure there are some americans who actually have taste, but by comparison with local produce this is already next level.. we talking that local manufacturers don't even manage the panels to fit... and they probably even market these as kind of bonus, because you can keep you change (or more likely spare bullets in US) in these gaps.

I personally don't mind the exteriour... it is "different", not as nice as RC, but definitely stands out, as well they have proper engine as an option, whereas RC doesn't (except of "F" of course, but that one is not for daily). But in the end I must agree interior is true weak spot on this car. Nothing like Lexus connoisseur selection of best quality materials and luxury understated looks.

Final, point.... Q60 3l would be nice option in place of missing RC350, but properly spec'ed is kind of expensive (3L version is only available in Sport trim, which adds like £8k over standard luxury), it works out more expensive than say BMW 430 M-Sport, or even MB C300 Coupe, whereas again outside only serves particular taste of "different" people (I personally like it), inside is outright botched and the value will drop like a rock as well. So at 42k base price I doubt they sell much.

As well, just wanted to note in this model rather brilliant 3.5l V6 was replaced with rather s*** 3.0T engine, still better tan Lexus 2.0T, but not as much fun as old 3.5... thought it is still V6 and not disappointing in-line 4 like in RC300h. Actually 2.0t is MB engine same one you would find in new C200t... though I still think 2l engine is for hothatches and not for Luxury Coupes.

Cant compare the Q60 to 430 and C300 as they're both 4 pots.

• Like 1

Sorry, you right... I hate BMW turbo thing, when they put turbo and that changes the number isntead of adding T.... Yes BMW 430i is indeed 2.0T, so effectively I am going to refer to it as BMW420t going forward. Now it makes sense when comparing against 440i (in-line 6).

Damn... RC350 would be bargain even if we exchange 1$=1£ (which probably will soon be reality anyway).... it would still be bargain.

The bloke who refers to the Lexus 2 litre turbo engine as a bucket is cracking me up. The last I heard he hadn't actually driven one and I doubt for a minute they would let him anywhere near one. 

I had driven IS200t and the only real different in RC would be stiffer body and better sorted out suspension... so the engine argument stays. Additionally, I am not a single one on this forum to say that, 5 post below you can find RC200t review from the fellow member saying thing which is very much expected - RC200t feels underpowered... as it should, considering the size weight and the engine option.

I not meant to offend anyone in particular, none of RC200t owners for sure and as you can see my opinion is very straight forward - 2.0t is not an engine for large car. It suits hothatches very well, a bucket cars weighting half of what RC weights. As well I do not say that in terms of Lexus only, I apply same for any car manufacturer who fits 2.0t engine to any car heavier than 1200kg (or thereabouts) - it is wrong engine for the car. Ok.. be that meeting emissions etc... It doesn't change the fact that engine sounds trashy and feels underpowered. I am not against you or you car.. I am sure it is cracking vehicle.... but I wont buy one. Please give me RC350.

how can the RC200T be classified as under powered? thing makes 350NM tourque from around 1500 rpm and holds it to around 4500 rpm tourque does help shift the weight of a car even though its not the only factor when it comes to acceleration of a car but for one to say the engine in the RC200T is under powered is an understatement. i haven't driven one but based on its figures the  RC350 generates only 25 NM more tourque than it. but RC350 does it at higher revs.

RC200T is not a high performance sport Coupe car like the RC350/G37 Coupe and wont beat most modern hothatches with 290-300bhp to thier name but based on its performance figures it certainly wont be a slouch for day to day driving.. 

PS. i do like the look of the Infiniti Q60 more so the 3,0T version with 400 horses..will give 440i, M4, 435d's a run for their money

The J.D. Power 2017 Vehicle Dependability Study, just published, has Infiniti second from bottom.  Lexus, not unusually, came top

with an almost perfect score, albeit in a tie with Porsche.

On 2/23/2017 at 3:56 PM, noby76 said:

how can the RC200T be classified as under powered?

It is probably my own mistake to give too much numbers, but that is exactly the point. Numbers not always matters. You can have 300hp 1.6l Civic and be top ricer in town. It would be unfair to say the rice rocket is underpowered with 300hp, but it won't exactly be luxury or refined. You know you can have engine from race bike, 989cc doing 300hp+ at 14k RPM, but that doesn't mean it would be suitable engine to put in LS instead of 4L V8.

That becomes even more relevant when you say, that RC200t has only 25Nm less than RC350... but RC350 does 0-60 in 5.6s (i know I know numbers again..), not 7.4s and it makes all right sounds, whereas 2.0t simply sounds trashy ... as it should, because for this engine volume it literally runs on edge.

My point never was about particularly power of RC200t or acceleration, I was always referring to as not matching car, brand and engine option. It is unstable for the vehicle it makes it feel cheap and trashy and underpowered. I would highlight makes it feel like, that it not to say it is, but it feels like.

Finally, that is just my opinion, if you want trashy turbo rice rocket go buy Civic Type-R - which is great car for what it does by the way. 2.0t or any low volume, high power, turbo engines for that matter are suitable for small, nimble and relatively cheap car but 2.0t is simply unsuitable for luxury coupe. The values of somebody buying Civic and Lexus coupe are different and it is not about pure numbers, but about feeling and experience.. and RC200t gets it all wrong. Btw same applies to Infinity Q60 2.0t - just another bucket on wheels, semi luxury ricer... 3.0t version is obviously better, but I believe it is more "sports coupe", than "luxury coupe"... same as Lexus I don't think that these options suits brand philosophy - you want "sports coupe" Nissan 370Z will be in any measurable way better choice, than Infinity Q60 3.0t.. just wrong engine in wrong car.

Yes you 100% right a Civic Type R rice rocket will not be luxurious as thats not what Honda intended it to be. it was built to be light on its feet, fuel efficient, punch way above its weight and sound trashy you will be surprised there is a market for trashy cars like these as the intending market would hate something too heavy to throw around, too much sound proofing, with a too refined engine which might put them to sleep.. over the years, ricer cars like Type R's, WRX's, Evo's, have always had these trashy characteristics and have been succesful.

Lexus can if they want to tweak the RC200 to hit 60 in the same time as the RC350 just a fiddle with boost pressure and maybe a 1st to 2nd gear ratio tweak might achieve this. BMW has done it with their 428i which also has a 2 litre 4 cylinder identical power and torque of the RC200 but leaner on the weight side and hits 60 in the same time as the RC350. my guess would be lexus wanted to charge more for RC350 so detuned rc200 to make the 350 superior in performacne terms for customers.

i agree and also disagree in your mention about the 2 litre 4 cylinder not matching car, brand etc.. i agree in the sense that you, me  and a few  prefer larger displacement models in these sort of cars. explains why i went for an IS300 over the IS200, again went for GS430 over the GS300 and recently own an Accord 2.4 over the 2.0 litre model but not everyone is like us and the premium car manufactures know this.

The premium German manufactures have done this for a long time and it seems to have worked for them their bread and butter models which sells like crazy are the 2 to the 2.4 lire 4 cylinder petrol and mainly diesel models which you see everywhere and these are in no way refined engines but people are happy and willing to buy and drive them and care less about cylinder harmonic sounds..as manufactures know the 4 pot will be lighter and thus more fuel efficient when compared to a 6 cylinder be it petrol or diesel.

And what does the term 'Luxury' car mean these days? I mean besides the badge and more sound proofing what does the term Luxury car mean when new Vauxhall Insignia's comes fully kitted with start/stop technology, electrics everything from electrics heated/cooled leather seats, self parking technology, premium speakers, Bluetooth, reversing cameras... you name it! when compared to say a C220 CDI Mercedez of the same calibre? 

premium car Manufactures are now combining two into one they are now building something which meets in the middle rather than extreme ends of each remember when some people shunned early lexus models due to being too refined and quite for their liking and opted for a BMW instead now Lexus cars are less sedate as some LS owners say the newer models dont drive anywhere near older ones. BMW has now moved more to the middle ground and are taming down their models and you also hear their hardcore owners say newer models dont drive like the older ones which were more raw and connected. 

They now build cars which fall into he middle ground rather than extreme of either side...

Now you see this is a matter of communication. Effectively you said same thing... we have same preference for same reason.

I completely agree with your point, fuel efficient cars are the mass product, the types which earns manufacturers the money - completely true. But that is not to say they are any good or refined or anything at all. This is actually more common to be exactly opposite - the more mass produced the thing is the worst it is... I buy Lexus for exclusivity and refinement, not to save money or planet. 

Again completely true - Civic Type-R is awesome machine if you prefer nimble, trashy, sports hatch. That is kind of my point... if that is my preference I would go for Civic, not for Lexus RC... Anyway the biggest issue is that in US their offering is right and comprehensive - they have RC Turbo (RC200t - as they are ashamed to declare that it has only 2.0 engine - marketing disaster in US), then they have RC300AWD and RC350.... so very consistent offer. RC Turbo serves as posh Civic, RC300AWD serves as posh Subaru WRX and RC350 serves as equivalent to German rivals for Luxury coupes.. all sensible. What we have in UK? Civic and Prius on steroids... pathetic. 

15 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

RC Turbo serves as posh Civic, RC300AWD serves as posh Subaru WRX and RC350 serves as equivalent to German rivals for Luxury coupes.. all sensible. 

Do you know the difference between a coupe, a hatchback and a saloon car?  They are usually targeted at totally different segments of the market. 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Now you see this is a matter of communication. Effectively you said same thing... we have same preference for same reason.

I completely agree with your point, fuel efficient cars are the mass product, the types which earns manufacturers the money - completely true. But that is not to say they are any good or refined or anything at all. This is actually more common to be exactly opposite - the more mass produced the thing is the worst it is... I buy Lexus for exclusivity and refinement, not to save money or planet. 

Again completely true - Civic Type-R is awesome machine if you prefer nimble, trashy, sports hatch. That is kind of my point... if that is my preference I would go for Civic, not for Lexus RC... Anyway the biggest issue is that in US their offering is right and comprehensive - they have RC Turbo (RC200t - as they are ashamed to declare that it has only 2.0 engine - marketing disaster in US), then they have RC300AWD and RC350.... so very consistent offer. RC Turbo serves as posh Civic, RC300AWD serves as posh Subaru WRX and RC350 serves as equivalent to German rivals for Luxury coupes.. all sensible. What we have in UK? Civic and Prius on steroids... pathetic. 

Correction: "RC350 serves as equivalent to BMW 435i, Merc C43 AMG and Audi S5

You've said Luxury coupes for german rivals. I presume you mean the 6 cylinder units. 

Otherwise it'd be hypocritical to say 4 cylinder german coupes are luxury coupes according to your logic.

9 hours ago, rayaans said:

Correction: "RC350 serves as equivalent to BMW 435i, Merc C43 AMG and Audi S5

Thanks for correction 

11 hours ago, Martin F said:

Do you know the difference between a coupe, a hatchback and a saloon car?  They are usually targeted at totally different segments of the market. 

You are not trying to say Lexus RC is targeted to rival Civic Type-R, by being not fit for purpose large and heavy ricer?