Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Driveway

PaulWhitt20

Hi, I was thinking of having my driveway redone in block paving. Is there anything I should look out for to make sure it is done properly, e.g. How do you stop the weeds growing through the gaps etc?

Can anyone recommend a good company in my area, mid Cheshire?

Thanks

Paul

Instead of block pavers have you looked at patterned/coloured concrete?

We had it at our old house and it was great, no weeds grow thru it, nor do you have issues with block pavers sagging. It was cheaper than blocks too, a win, win.

• Like 2

A colleague had a patterned concrete driveway, resin sealed, looked very smart. Stayed looking smart for many years to! 

Must be laid by someone who knows what they are doing though, or you'll be looking at a mess for years....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

A colleague had a patterned concrete driveway, resin sealed, looked very smart. Stayed looking smart for many years to! 

Must be paid by someone who knows what they are doing though, or you'll be looking at a mess for years....

A drinking partner of mine had a resin concrete drive, it looked fabulous.

Nice colour, nice pattern. Very pleased with it.

Gas Board dug some of it up a few months later to fit a new supply pipe. :oops:

He was very philosophical about it...:cursing:

• Like 2

Drives is part of what I do, most local authorities require permeable surface when it's over a certain surface area, with run off areas onto the property and not to the highway.

Drainage is also a requirement frequently both on and under the surface.

The biggest reason for failure of the surface by far is usually lack of preparation of the sub base.

All surfaces have there fores and against beit gravel, block, patterned concrete and so on, much of it personal to the customer.

I would recommend as much research as possible into the contractors having first sought the necessary permissions if required.

For on line perusal the site named A J McCormack is worth a look.

Big Rat

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend concrete or block paving. 

Had both in the past and they're a PITA in the winter, especially on any kind of slope. 

Currently have tarmac and its much better in my experience - TBF I did have weed control layed underneath it and the tarmac itself is 10 inch thick.

However, having said that, my brother in law had his driveway done in stone-bound resin and it looks great. Water doesn't rest on it either, just drains through

Good point about the resin coated concrete if your drive is on a slope.

Ours was on a fair slope and you had to be careful under foot in winter if you hadn't grit'd/salt'd.

Once something had bitten through the ice/snow, it was fine tho.

Yes, on those points gravel is good. It's permeable too, so water drains away easily.

The only drawback I find is that jacking up cars isn't really possible. You can at a push but it's risky. Not a problem if you don't intend to work on any vehicles.

Oh and you can often loose small tools/screws/etc in gravel! 😂

The only 'maintenance' I did on my previous cars was to remove the wheels to swap to winters and back again.

Used a thick marine ply sheet to place the jack on. Worked fine.

But yes, lost a few valve dust caps before now...

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, plenty of ideas thanks.

Still think I prefer block paving, some neighbours have had it done and it looks better than the crumbling tarmac we have at present. The driveway is on a slight slope into the road and is two cars wide. The problem at the moment is the loose bits of tarmac coming off and laying in the gutter. I think gravel would still do this.

I expect it will be expensive to do it properly though.

• 1 month later...

It's Marshals Tegula blocks in harvest colour. It's a bit dull at the moment as it hasn't rained in it yet and the builders sand is still on the blocks.

Drain goes to a soak away under the drive to comply with regulations. The water from washing the car used to run into the road so I hope it will stop that.

• Like 2