Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I don't know what to do!!!

Hi guys new to the forum but have got very good advice in the past as a visitor well I've got a 06 is250 had it for 2 1/2 years and its been superb only done 86k full history ect , but my heart is set on a ls430 its going to have to be higher mileage 05/55 or lower mileage 02/04 are they as superior as they say i know it needs full history ect i only do 20miles a day do you think its excessive please give me your thoughts regards Alan

you won't regret a moment of your time spent in a Ls  .........  just make sure you're happy with the condition and service history etc .. The cambelt and peripherals need changing at @100k miles and that job is quite expensive whoever does it !

The radiator should be changed by you as a new owner to prevent irreparable leaks into the gearbox ( and those leaks probably writing the car off ! )  and the air suspension can be a £££££ challenge to fix when it goes pop.

Other earlier issues that I remember reading on here, but not of late, are around rust spots coming through the doors and boot lid. If caught before 12 years old Lexus seemed to replace the door etc but if it's showing now on any car then I guess the Warranty Claim Timeline has probably expired.....  and sometimes delamination of the double glazing which can also be an expensive fix.

Buy well and you will be rewarded with a fabulous car with superb engineering, comfort, ride and longevity.

Don't hesitate, buy one :wink3:  they are becoming a rare car.

Malc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nessal said:

Hi guys new to the forum but have got very good advice in the past as a visitor well I've got a 06 is250 had it for 2 1/2 years and its been superb only done 86k full history ect , but my heart is set on a ls430 its going to have to be higher mileage 05/55 or lower mileage 02/04 are they as superior as they say i know it needs full history ect i only do 20miles a day do you think its excessive please give me your thoughts regards Alan

As  FRAMEWORK within which you will consider what members will undoubtedly suggest that you choose carefully and wisely,you must not overlook the fact that we are all on a one way journey and we will not pass this way again.

Eanjoy your LS Alan !!

Regards

John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nessal said:

Lexus Woodford have one for 8 grand Alan.

Regards

John

My 430 is a November 2000 model so an early one. It had been well looked after with all lexus servicing and one toyota one. It had 112000 miles on the clock when I bought it 2 years ago and now has about 127000. It has never failed an M. O. T and drives like a dream. It still has the airbag suspension which is fine, original radiator, original screen and no rust whatsoever. If ever it suffered with one of the aforementioned problems I would either just get it fixed or buy another 430.....I love my car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lex - eleven said:

My 430 is a November 2000 model so an early one. It had been well looked after with all lexus servicing and one toyota one. It had 112000 miles on the clock when I bought it 2 years ago and now has about 127000. It has never failed an M. O. T and drives like a dream. It still has the airbag suspension which is fine, original radiator, original screen and no rust whatsoever. If ever it suffered with one of the aforementioned problems I would either just get it fixed or buy another 430.....I love my car.

A good endorsement of a fine car!

3 hours ago, lex - eleven said:

Thanks for your replys i must admit some are a little surprising RUST !!! It will definitely be 05/55 i like the small upgrades my search continues and i will keep you updated regards Alan

Yes, RUST!

Just because it is a Lexus does not mean these cars do not rust.

It fascinates me how variable this problem is including within each model range. Talk to some owners about it and they are quite indignant you can suggest such a problem but I would certainly get under any prospective purchase with a strong light and examine carefully, especially at the rear.

Also along the 'chrome strips across top and middle of doors' where the holes for the fixing studs can rust. Research this and see the photos and you will be appalled.

Interesting how few of us when buying second hand would consider having the car up on a ramp as if what can be seen from below is irrelevant.

Well slightly put off now no offense but have we put this car on a pedestal its been my dream to own a ls430 i except all cars have some inerrant issues but there stacking up on this one!! See ive been well impressed with the is250 and thought from reviews the ls430 is superior to the is !! Maybe a rethink

Any car that's a decade or more old should be inspected carefully - particularly a luxury limo as repair costs could outweigh the price you paid for it. If you get a well-sorted one though then there are bargains to be had. You're getting a £50K-plus car that looks and runs as well as new for a tenth of that price. 

I couldn't say that's the case or not - I've only owned a few of the millions of cars made between that time period :). I do think that we tend to project our own experiences when discussing things like reliability and quality control. A well-sorted 430 (or a 400, though they're now getting very old) should still provide happy motoring.

My 06 lexus is250 is only 12months newer than the ls430 that i am looking for i can honestly say theres no rust no issues people say that the registration plate number is upside down and should read 09 its so nice i can't believe i should be looking for the items mentioned in a car just 12 months older than the one i have?.              Ok i may be over reading this and you guys are kindly telling me just to be cautious and look carefully at my future purchase which i do appreciate it just took me back a bit too all the issues regards Alan

31 minutes ago, ScousePaul said:

I couldn't say that's the case or not - I've only owned a few of the millions of cars made between that time period :). I do think that we tend to project our own experiences when discussing things like reliability and quality control. A well-sorted 430 (or a 400, though they're now getting very old) should still provide happy motoring.

As you stated "a well sorted 430", I just think cars with up to 100k miles should not need major repairs. Maybe I was spoiled with my mk3 and 4 

8 minutes ago, Jake430 said:

As you stated "a well sorted 430", I just think cars with up to 100k miles should not need major repairs. Maybe I was spoiled with my mk3 and 4 

That's exactly my point.

I know what you mean Jim. I just think it's difficult to apply our own view globally. The 400 and 430 were JD Power winners pretty much every year they were in production (not getting into the validity of such surveys...) so they are generally "well-sorted" :). I just think with any older car, particularly those that cost a significant amount when new, you need to be careful but still assume that it's going to be pretty tight just due to the great build quality that we associate with these models. 

I'm now expecting my air suspension, radiator and timing belt to all self-combust when I fire her up tomorrow :yes:.

Guys ive just googled LS rust i don't do rust. This seems to be quite a big issue on all LS regardless of age some were reported as little as 2 years old this must be a major oversight of Lexus being in the motor trade specifically bodywork for over20 years. there's no excuse considering most manufacturers had been galvanizing from around 2003/2004 onwards.                     So i thank you all I'm OUT