Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300h repairs etc

Hi, so I'm thinking of buying a is300h, been looking at 63 plate around 60 thousand miles.

Really like the car etc , BUT, been told not to touch them ??

Been told by a friend of a friend that you can't touch them repair wise, not even change a bulb due to static. He said the hybrid ecu is really sensitive and that everything is maindealer and very expensive.

Also, how long do the batteries last ??

I welcome all opinions etc, more info the better. 

Thanks in advance.

hi lexusis200x2000

i think you have been speaking to someone who knows absolutely jack about the is300h

they are no different to any other car with regards to changing of the bulbs and basic maintenance

batteries aren't an issue either they are guaranteed for 5 years and every time you have the car serviced

by lexus they are covered for another year after the 5 year guarantee has expired up to about 10 years.

yes lexus dealer labour rates aren't cheap but show me a main dealer who has cheap hourly rates.

the hybrid system is tried and tested and been around since the first prius and over the years been

improved upon so no issues there and engine wise like any other car as long as you look after it

you will have many years of service from it.

ignore your friend of a friend of a friend and test drive one and make your own mind up

i would say i would only buy one if its has full lexus service history for peace of mind

so only techs who know the car have worked on it.

the extra 1 year guarantee only happens if the car is serviced by lexus

once a car is 5yrs old there are cheaper servicing costs available.

there is no reason why you cant do the service yourself its mainly

the hybrid system that requires the technical know how, when your car

is serviced at lexus Battery codes are taken from the system so the

Battery condition can be monitored,if you still go ahead and service

the car yourself just stay away from the ORANGE cables as they

are the high voltage hybrid cables.

17 minutes ago, 200h said:

the extra 1 year guarantee only happens if the car is serviced by lexus

once a car is 5yrs old there are cheaper servicing costs available.

there is no reason why you cant do the service yourself its mainly

the hybrid system that requires the technical know how, when your car

is serviced at lexus battery codes are taken from the system so the

battery condition can be monitored,if you still go ahead and service

the car yourself just stay away from the ORANGE cables as they

are the high voltage hybrid cables.

So key points are full service history for the hybrid side of it and then carry on with the main dealer for the hybrid part of it. Just to get a guarantee. The rest of it is straight forward same as any other car.

Any thing else I should look out for when buying a hybrid 5 Year old with 60k miles.

As other posters have said, your friend of a friend obviously knows little about cars and less about Hybrids!

The Hybrid warranty can be extended for a another year/10k miles by paying Lexus £59 for a Hybrid health check. This is up to a further 5 years/50k miles. So that protects any Hybrid battery/motor bits.  The details are on the Lexus Website.  Battery issues are very rare, there are plenty of old Prius and Lexus running round with greater than 150k miles without issues.

Rest of the car is pretty reliable and normal premium exec car, so awkward to get to stuff, could be expensive for bits if it goes wrong etc. However nothing to stop you getting an independent dealer to service it, or doing it yourself with the correct tools/experience, though you might struggle with some of the more advanced technical bits, though that is true for most modern cars now I guess.

If I was buying used,  depends on your budget, but I'd want a lower mileage, slightly older (IS300h first on market in late 2013 early 2014) approved used car from a Lexus dealer with a full history.

• Like 1