Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tips on buying a CT200h

Andrewcn

Hi guys,

New to this forum so please bare with me. I am going to view an electric blue 200h on Saturday, and was just wondering if you have any tips on what to look for when viewing a used CT 200h.

The specs of the car are as follows:

2011, SE-i in electric blue

74,000 miles

3 previous owners 

Sat nav, reversing camera and all the other standard features.

No leather unfortunately, instead it has black alcantara seats.

Full Lexus service history apart from the last 2 stamps which were from an independent garage.

It's priced at £7,995.

Is this a good deal and what do I need to look for when test driving and viewing the car.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Andrewcn said:

Hi guys,

New to this forum so please bare with me. I am going to view an electric blue 200h on Saturday, and was just wondering if you have any tips on what to look for when viewing a used CT 200h.

The specs of the car are as follows:

2011, SE-i in electric blue

74,000 miles

3 previous owners 

Sat nav, reversing camera and all the other standard features.

No leather unfortunately, instead it has black alcantara seats.

Full Lexus service history apart from the last 2 stamps which were from an independent garage.

It's priced at £7,995.

Is this a good deal and what do I need to look for when test driving and viewing the car.

Thanks.

Post a link up of the car 

If its the one I think it is, it looks OK, just has tonnes of stonechips (expected) and lots of scratches on the side that looks like auto car wash marks. 

Also roof looks wrapped (therefore look out for knife marks) and wheels are refurbs so take a look at all 4 for any bubbling.

Hi,

It's not the one that's currently on Auto trader with the grey wheels and black wrapping on the roof - that one has been modified so I wouldn't really be interested in it. 

The one I'm seeing has been taken off Autotrader as I've put down a deposit. 

Any tips on what to look for from the engine and interior?

26 minutes ago, Andrewcn said:

Hi,

It's not the one that's currently on Auto trader with the grey wheels and black wrapping on the roof - that one has been modified so I wouldn't really be interested in it. 

The one I'm seeing has been taken off Autotrader as I've put down a deposit. 

Any tips on what to look for from the engine and interior?

The one on autotrader just has a wrapped roof. The wheels are lexus OEM.  

Interior wise just look for the usual. Scuffs in the wrong places, check under mats for damp or cig burns and check the headliner for excess sag  

Engine wise it shouldn't be making any dodgy noises but apart from that I doubt you'd notice much.

Check the usual for exterior so things like overspray, faded panels, dents, odd looking patterns in the paint characterised by poor paint. Check the panel gaps to make sure it's not been in a shunt

Generally, there is nothing which you should look out for which isnt part of how the car originally left the factory. Some would say that the ride is harsh ( as it left the factory) some say that the gearing causes the engine to be noisey ( yes , it isnt a low revving 3 litre lump with bags of torque) some have even said that it is too cramped ( yes it isnt a big car). Some complain about the sound system ( it is a car, not a concert hall). 

So, as Rayaans says, you look out for stuff which an individual owner or garage has done to the car...knocks scrapes, scratches and bumps. Kerbed rims, stonechips, irregular tyre wear from heavy kerbing deranging the steering.Or you look out for poor servicing. (missing fasteners,wrong grade of oil,improper reassembly of undertray etc)

• Like 1

So I got the car and it has been great so far! Dealer refurbished the alloys and painted them gun metal grey for me. Also gave me a new MOT and service. The quality of the car is excellent (I had a VW Scirocco before this and felt plastic in comparison) 

Tbh, I'm not sure why it's such a poorly rated car by 'car reviewers '...it's great to drive - comfortable, smooth and above all its a beautifully made product.

So I got the car and it has been great so far! Dealer refurbished the alloys and painted them gun metal grey for me. Also gave me a new MOT and service. The quality of the car is excellent (I had a VW Scirocco before this and felt plastic in comparison) 

Tbh, I'm not sure why it's such a poorly rated car by 'car reviewers '...it's great to drive - comfortable, smooth and above all its a beautifully made product.

Hahaha

I would send a screenshot of the error message but I can't even send that.

I'll try and take a photo and send it direct tomorrow morning when it's daylight. It's lovely though... Lexus blue with gun metal alloys 👌 

1 hour ago, Andrewcn said:

Sounds good! 

Pics or it didn't happen - might be easier using a computer rather than phone. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/03/2017 at 6:17 PM, Andrewcn said:

Also, how long wiLloyd the batteries on the hybrid system usually last for?

Thanks 👍

To anywhere between 140K usually & 170ish but dont worry thats not the end of the road - my wife wants one actually so am looking around.