Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone

I'm new to this but am looking for some advice from experienced Lexus owners! I've always wanted a LS and really like the 460. I went to look at and drive one recently and was blown away by it - as was my son, he now says it's his new standard in back seat travel. But, the boot is tiny thanks to the fridge and other gubbins in the back. Most of the time this wouldn't be an issue, but for some weeks a year, usually when we go off camping or similar, we do tend to load up and head out and the 460's boot just won't cut it. I did think about a roof box (don't laugh) or one of those tow hitch mounted carry boxes, which would probably do, but no-one seems to make either roof bars or tow bars for the 460 - Lexus themselves used to make them fro the 430, or so I understand.

Anyway, has anyone any experience in increasing the carrying capacity of the 460 and if so what did you use?

thanks

Not easy to find as far as I can tell.

have come across these is USA, Rhino rack

They don't seem to do them for LS400, otherwise I might have given them a go.

That is the one thing with the 460, 430, I have no need of a fridge and all that other stuff, and I like boot to be for useful stuff, and like you when we go travelling nice to have the boot full and the seating for people only.

I use a Saris Bones for the bikes on the boot lid.

The 460 with the all-singing and dancing rear seat has an extra aircon unit in the boot and it takes up a lot of space. The standard 460 has a very comfy back seat but without the massage and DVD screens. On that model the boot is huge.

Thanks for these helpful replies. I have been doing a bit more investigation and one of the big suppliers of tow bars tells me the LS460 'may not be approved for towing (i.e. it has no specified towbar mounting points and a maximum towing weight of zero)'. Apparently you can tell by looking at the VIN plate - the second line is the maximum tow weight. I didn't actually want to tow, only to use a tow bar as a mounting point, but if it can't even be fitted....

I had a look at Rhino bars - they do make them for the 460 but at $430 before shipping and import taxes.....

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links