Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear footwell leak - Under carriage drain plug

Hi guys

Yesterday picked up a nice RX300 2004 SE, for a good price.

There were a couple issues t, one of which a really sickly damp smell,

1. The rear passenger nearside footwell was wet as was front passenger seatbelt on extension.

I did some searching around including from here and tonight have coaxed a piece of soft wire through the sunroof drain holes - I tested both drain holes afterwards and both seem to be working (to be clear I have no idea if this was the issue since I didn't test them first but it's a free fix so worth a go)

HOWEVER when pouring water down the drain tubes I noticed water ALSO coming out from a rubber bung hole adjacent to the sunroof drain hole (as well as coming out of the sunroof drain hole) can anyone tell me what this is and if this is good or bad?

The rubber bung doesn't plug very well so was leaking. To be clear the more water I poured in the drain holes the more water came out the underside drains and rubber bung hole. 

Any thoughts?

2. Secondly, powered tailgate opens by button and remote however won't close by remote or push button, pushing the button to close it doesn't even acknowledge the button being pushed, Whether from FOB or physical button.

More thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance, it's good to finally be here as an owner - I've been lurking for the past year trying to get enough together to get an RX and this forum was paramount in me being able to make an informed decision on the right car come purchase time.

Possibly a private purchase? Still, welcome to Lexus ownership, they are great cars, my all time favourite car was a 2005 IS300 Sportcross, I loved that carmore than my own right hand! 

You'll always get niggles like that, don't worry, with Spring coming you can tweak and sort these little jobs out and you'll have a car made during a period of great build quality for Lexus. Enjoy it and welcome to the forum. Lots of willing helpers here. 

Look at what you have, a sunroof, I really miss mine. Neither our CT or our RX has one, I'd willingly swap a.c for a sunroof. 

Ed

• Like 1

Hi guys

Thanks for your welcome.

It was a private sale and of some distance so it's unlikely I'll be able to go that route.

The car is also otherwise immaculate and I'm very pleased with it, everything else works, and I got it for a really good price.

At time of writing it's been very windy and wet here in Devon so I'll see this morning if I've incurred any watr ingress.

I'm going to take a pic of the underside rubber grommet later on and post it here.

Hi

Just managed to snap a pic this morn. There are a few circular holes under here, one of them has the rubber grommet (circled) which is where water runs out.

Oh and just checked the footwell and seatbelt, so far so dry.

P1000685.jpg

P1000685.JPG

Hi guys

Now fixed the rear tail gate, just needed some silicone lubricant on the gas struts as they were dry and not extended far enough to trigger the sensor to say it was opened - thus not letting it close when you pushed the close button.

Has anyone any idea on these drain plugs though? Should it be there/ And what about the holes pictured without plugs, should I have plugs there? 

Is there a parts diagram anywhere I can search?