Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chris Harris GSF V BMW M5

I thought this deserved its own post, though I did consider putting on some of the topics that have been hot in the forum during the last 2 days

It highlights and emphasises much that many have been saying in the these last two days, it's beautifully shot and is only a few days old enjoy 

Big Rat

http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-lexus-gs-f-vs-bmw-m5

• Like 4

Noooooooooooo you can't say that 🤣

Actually  I can understand that they are really tumbling in value the early ones around the low 30k I believe, havent heard of any persistent problems with them either, personally I've had to many M cars to go there again 😏

Big Rat

I admire Chris.. He is probably next Clarkson just maybe need to gain some weight and maybe around 2025 he will be perfect replacement. However, I would say that comparison was unfair on at least few levels. First of all it would be enough to compare GS-F to normal M5... why bloody 30 years special edition with 600hp.. makes no sense to me why 560hp (and more than twice as much torque then Lexus .. that is 680Nm) on standard one was not enough for comparison. Then M5 as well had competition package and ceramic brakes... which again not like for like (standard one has steel.. like Lexus). Finally, he ordered the worst weather possible and he drove the cars on summer performance tires... True you cannot order perfect weather.. but he managed to order worst. Being realistic - how often you see such weather in UK?!..

But except of those 2 little issues mentioned above he made fair comparison thereafter. BMW is too hard at any setting even without competition package and that is brand way of making cars, BMW are hard - fact. As well he nailed description of ergonomics and especially sat-nav, I found same issue on gear leaver in RC/IS mk3, it actually feels better from passenger side.

• Like 2

Firstly, great watch. Thanks for the post @Big Rat

I see what he is saying about too much power. On the road, in anything other than dry conditions, you can't really use the IS-F's 400 ish BHP. If it was 4wd it would be different.

As for his complaints about the the controls, they really are nowhere near as bad as he made out. I do however agree on the sat nav. The newer systems are better than the IS-F's, but still not intuitive at all!

Finally, I wonder how much help Harris has just given the second hand GS-F market?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

a lot of car for the money now big rat . Like you say tumbling down in price 

I had an M6 as a service loan car with that engine when they first came out, I thrapped the t..s off it all day, Mrs Rat was very patient I seem to remover the fuel gauge went down like the second hand on a watch 😂

Big Rat

Just now, Flytvr said:

Firstly, great watch. Thanks for the post @Big Rat

I see what he is saying about too much power. On the road, in anything other than dry conditions, you can't really use the IS-F's 400 ish BHP. If it was 4wd it would be different.

As for his complaints about the the controls, they really are nowhere near as bad as he made out. I do however agree on the sat nav. The newer systems are better than the IS-F's, but still not intuitive at all!

Finally, I wonder how much help Harris has just given the second hand GS-F market?

I see the car he was driving was a 66 plate GSF I thought they now have adjustable suspension of some discription ?

Big Rat

2 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

I see the car he was driving was a 66 plate GSF I thought they now have adjustable suspension of some discription ?

Big Rat

Like this 🤓

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/12/15/2017-lexus-rc-f-gs-f-updated-with-adaptive-variable-suspension/

@Big Rat these positive posts for the GSF will not help any of us who might be looking to buy one of these in a few years times lol 😁.  All joking aside, this could keep second hand values high following very good reviews by Top Gear and Clarkson (Grand Tour) recently.  

14 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

That was the thing I though all along the video - both RC/GS-F had adaptable suspension all along, but it was optional, whereas for 2017 model it will be standard, so guessing 17/67 plate.

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

That was the thing I though all along the video - both RC/GS-F had adaptable transmission all along, but it was optional, whereas for 2017 model it will be standard, so guessing 17/67 plate.

9 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

@Big Rat these positive posts for the GSF will not help any of us who might be looking to buy one of these in a few years times lol 😁.  All joking aside, this could keep second hand values high following very good reviews by Top Gear and Clarkson (Grand Tour) recently.  

Ah yes good point never thought of that, I'll change tack..... now where is that glasses guide 😂

Big Rat

• Like 1

As I said in an earlier post with regard to the new Jag and as Chris Harris said, "its a numbers fest", and that is the point for me, even in dry conditions that 477bhp GSF has the ability to cover a fast A road very very quickly, and scare the life out of a lot of people on a B road, if the conditions were dry I am sure there would be a bigger gap between the two, the question is could you exploit the BMWs power advantage, be honest, could you????? 

Great road test.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Ahhh but they could, people that have seen how capable the GSF is and cant afford one will maybe turn toward the ISF:yes:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark G said:

As I said in an earlier post with regard to the new Jag and as Chris Harris said, "its a numbers fest", and that is the point for me, even in dry conditions that 477bhp GSF has the ability to cover a fast A road very very quickly, and scare the life out of a lot of people on a B road, if the conditions were dry I am sure there would be a bigger gap between the two, the question is could you exploit the BMWs power advantage, be honest, could you????? 

Great road test.

Top Gear start soon 😁

🐀

4 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Ahhh but they could, people that have seen how capable the GSF is and cant afford one will maybe turn toward the ISF:yes:

Good point, increase the awareness of other F cars! 

• Like 1