Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300 (2007) Bluetooth/iPhone SE

I currently use a Nokia 6300 old fashioned mobile phone (not a smartphone) which works perfectly on Bluetooth with my GS300 (2007). I am thinking of buying an Iphone SE smartphone but wondering if the Bluetooth specification in the GS is old hat and might not work with the Iphone SE. There were some Bluetooth issues when the SE was launched in March 2016 which some reports say has been resolved, but not necessarily with older vehicles. My question is, is there anyone out there who owns a GS300 (2007) and uses it connected to Bluetooth with an Iphone SE?

I have 2007 GS450h and my wife's Iphone 4 and now 4S couple without bother. Calls come in OK and calls can be made OK using the numbers I have entered into the car's memory. (Just the speed dial ones whilst moving. These are the only ones I have put in.)

I was unable to get numbers in the phone's phone book to transfer to the car. I don't know if this will be the same for the SE. Bluetooth changed to version 4 on the 4s phone from version 2 on the older Iphone 4. The SE has Bluetooth version 4.2. I do not know if this will be a problem but others may comment.

John

• Like 1

My understanding is that Bluetooth versions are backwards compatible. i.e. the features in version 1 are supported in version 4 but not vice versa.

So the SE should be able to do what I can do with version 2 on my GS.

Can you try it out before you buy?

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

10 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Jeff,

Delighted to hear it!

How much functionality do you have? Receive and make calls from the car controls I guess. Anything else?

John

Hi John

Early days, I'm don't really go too deep into tech. As long as it does what I want it to do I'm happy. So, as with the old Nokia, non-smartphone, the Iphone will work with the Bluetooth so that I can make and receive calls using the car controls. Very useful and safe being able to receive calls hands-free whilst driving. I could probably play the music I have on the Iphone through the car speakers if I bought an adaptor to plug-in to the cigar lighter (I don't think my GS300 2007 has USB sockets?) Now you've got me thinking about the music possibilities - I'll research it.

Jeff

The way i did  it on my 55 gs300 was to get a android phone with my contacts in and transfer that which it did with ease then reinstall the Iphone 4 i had and left the phone book still in the car system and it worked perfectly

John

I did this about 3  or 4 years ago when i first got the Iphone i tried on numerous occasions to transfer them over from Iphone but to no avail, i asked all over the place phone shops etc and was told it was impossible to do however i persisted and found the info on one of the US forums if i recall correctly .

As to your question i have a gmail address and my daughter gave me a Honor 6 to try out ( as she works for a Mobile Phone Co) when i connected  the android to the PC it asked if i wanted the Contacts Loading on from IPhones i said yes and they just came on.

I then used the info to set phone up to car (Android One) and it just loaded them into car Phone book

I then reverted to Iphone (as it is a smaller phone than the Honor 6 ) and contacts stayed in car i then deleted the Honor from system

but it was 4 years ago

When i got the 450 it just put everything in itself contacts  and set it up to play music by BT from phone all i did was pair it and that was it

Robert

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

John

I did this about 3  or 4 years ago when i first got the iphone i tried on numerous occasions to transfer them over from iphone but to no avail, i asked all over the place phone shops etc and was told it was impossible to do however i persisted and found the info on one of the US forums if i recall correctly .

As to your question i have a gmail address and my daughter gave me a Honor 6 to try out ( as she works for a Mobile Phone Co) when i connected  the android to the PC it asked if i wanted the Contacts Loading on from IPhones i said yes and they just came on.

I then used the info to set phone up to car (Android One) and it just loaded them into car Phone book

I then reverted to IPhone (as it is a smaller phone than the Honor 6 ) and contacts stayed in car i then deleted the Honor from system

but it was 4 years ago

When i got the 450 it just put everything in itself contacts  and set it up to play music by BT from phone all i did was pair it and that was it

Robert

KayCee, your 2010 GS450 must have more advanced tech than my 2007 GS 300 as I can't see a way to get the music on the Iphone to play through the car speakers. No problem with Bluetooth for phone calls though.

More advanced than my 2007 450h too. I can receive calls and also make them using speed dial entries.

I have not been able to transfer any numbers from Iphone 4. This does not matter much as in order to use numbers from the phone book which are not speed dials I would have to stop anyway. Having stopped, just use the phone. But being able to use music from Iphone would be nice.

John