Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TPMS actually works !

Just moved my car on the drive and the TPMS warning came on and guess what - I have a screw in my tyre

First car I have had with no spare wheel so do I

A - pump the tyre up and drive carefully to a tyre repair centre.

B - take the wheel off and take it to the tyre repair centre in a different car.

C - put the gunk in it and drive to the tyre repair centre don't really want to use the gunk as it's not an emergency.

It still has 6 mm tread on (after 17k miles) so I don't really want a new tyre if I can help it but what happens once you use the gunk? Can it never be repaired again or do you have to replace the tyre anyway?

Looking at tyresonthedrive it looks like you may not be able to repair it anyway as the screw is too near the sidewall.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

58af12d838d6b_ImageUploadedByLexusOC1487

Drat, pesky nail.

Does the tyre hold air for long enough to drive to the tyre repair garage?  

I'd be very reluctant to use the gunk as don't they tend to clog up the sensor?  If so, then you'll need to factor in the cost of a new sensor on top of the tyre repair :thumbdown:

Option B

Avoid the gunk at all costs. The tyre fitter will not thank you for using it...

BTW how long is your drive? Usually takes TPMS a good couple hundred meters before it stabilises and reports

I only moved the car a few car lengthy, just enough to move from one side of the drive to the other.

Ps I am a bit OCD about tyres if I need a new one I will have to get two so that they are the same tread depth on each side.

What make of tyres do people prefer, currently got Yokohama blue earth.?

Thanks

The gunk is able to be cleaned away but it is a horrible job and the tyre fitter will try and dissuade you and get you to buy a new tyre. I'd try and get it repaired by either taking it off or getting enough air in it to get to the nearest centre.

you could get a mobile tyre fitter to come to you?

They patched it. £28

Funny I could hear the tyre hissing when I cleaned it before I went. Pumped the tyre up to 2.5 bar then drove to the tyre repair centre. No tpms warning.

Waiting for the tyres to get cold then I'll check the pressures and reset the tpms

• Like 2

its great that you didnt have to buy a new tyre but any excuse is a good reason to get rid of the yokohamas

that come as standard on the car they are so noisy why do lexus supply noisey tyres on a quiet car

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links