Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Collection Day!

I unfortunately only had the S4 not the RS4. My wife prefered an auto box, hence the tiptronic, which as you rightly pointed out was not available on the B7 RS4. So the S4 was the most powerful A4 available with the auto at that time. Always fancied a B7 RS4, as I still think its one of the best looking cars Audi has produced especially in the blue. But the issues with the S4 put pay to that!!. Also had friends with S6's & RS5's who had issues!!.

Obviously there was a significant difference between my S4 and the ISF.  The thing that really surprised me when I test drove a 2009 F though was the ride, because everything I read suggested it would rearrange my internal organs!! and it was fine.  What I hadn't expected was for the S4's ride to feel harsher and unrefined in comparison when I drove it home afterwards.  Another thing that will probably surprise you coming from the RS4 is the ISF's fuel consumption.  I drove my car back from Leeds to Essex and still had a 1/4 of a tank left. Its not unusual to get 33mpg on a motorway journey and I couldn't get near that in my S4 with the smaller 4.2L V8.  Obviously if you drive it on short journeys in sport/manual you will be in the teens but I average about 24-26mpg for mixed journeys.

I have driven other more powerful cars such as an Audi V10 S6 and a Maserati Quattroporte GTS and I think the F is more than a match being lighter and more dynamic. It constantly surpises me how quickly the F covers ground and the speed climbs.  I drove the current C63 CLS with some 600hp last year and was amazed at its agility for such a large car, but when I got back in the F afterwards it felt every bit as urgent. There is no substitute for Hp and of course it will ultimately out perform the ISF, but it would be interesting to see how close they are under normal road conditions where you can't use all the power available.

I've seen a few comparisons between the B7 RS4 and the ISF, but would be interested to know how you think they compare?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stazza80 said:

Sorry, just re-read your post, it was an S4 you had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry didn't see you second post before I replied!!

The RS4 was a quick car, no doubt, however they are known for issues with coking up and therefore power loss of up to 60hp. The ISF is either a faster car in general or my RS was down on power because the IS definitely feels quicker. It could also be because you don't really have anything to do in the IS other than put your foot down and no real lag from changing gear. I came from an from M3 and hadn't realised how reliant I had become on the 4wd of the Audi, the Lexus has reminded me on a few occasions in the last few days that my power is being put down at the rear wheels again!

Both are fantastic cars in their own right but as you say, the IS makes me feel more comfortable with regards to running costs. I'm not worried about tax and fuel as these kind of come with owning a 5.0l V8!

There is a good American comparison between the two on you tube where the ISF comes out on top which doesn't seem to happen very often!

• Like 1

Good find that one Ben not come across it, there has since the inception of the ISF been some good some not so and some journalistic ' resistance '

We've discussed this on here many times and I for now value more the longevity and reliability factor far outweigh the 'on track' times or ' on the limit handling' or 'tenths of a second to sixty ' so and so on, my previous car history is on here a while back and though I say so myself it's been long and distinguished!

But like you I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the M3s M5s Porsche and so on but for me the fact remains if I knew then what I know now about the WHOLE ownership experience I would have bought into Lexus a long long time ago.

The ISF is a great sporting saloon

🐀

19 hours ago, Stazza80 said:

The RS4 was a quick car, no doubt, however they are known for issues with coking up and therefore power loss of up to 60hp. The ISF is either a faster car in general or my RS was down on power because the IS definitely feels quicker. It could also be because you don't really have anything to do in the IS other than put your foot down and no real lag from changing gear. I came from an from M3 and hadn't realised how reliant I had become on the 4wd of the Audi, the Lexus has reminded me on a few occasions in the last few days that my power is being put down at the rear wheels again!

Both are fantastic cars in their own right but as you say, the IS makes me feel more comfortable with regards to running costs. I'm not worried about tax and fuel as these kind of come with owning a 5.0l V8!

There is a good American comparison between the two on you tube where the ISF comes out on top which doesn't seem to happen very often!

Funny this is one of the reviews I saw recently when the whole issue of finding unbiased reviews came up. It was a good review & in the blue as well!!

Absolutely - fuel consumption is not a consideration when running a V8, but a pleasant surprise all the same!

Yes I saw this review I while ago, its not the first time the isf has come out on top, look for the isf "ring taxi" and listen to his comments on how much quicker the isf is compared to an M5 around the track, 8.00 lap for the isf compared to 8.30 for the M5 and he really seems to know what he is talking about, and ***** can he hustle that Lexus round there!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Yes I saw this review I while ago, its not the first time the isf has come out on top, look for the isf "ring taxi" and listen to his comments on how much quicker the isf is compared to an M5 around the track, 8.00 lap for the isf compared to 8.30 for the M5 and he really seems to know what he is talking about, and ***** can he hustle that Lexus round there!!!

Bet you'd be quicker with those slicks your running at the mo 😂

🐀

1 hour ago, Mark G said:

He was "only" 20 seconds quicker than me around there on that lap and I had 3 passengers onboard like him.

Target set for this year #kissofdeath ;-)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links