Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

its a year on since i bought the gs and as been trouble free in that time its returned good mpg i have not exactly checked it but as been in mid 30s just about all year.

I thought i would not get on with the CVT after reading all the stories but has been a seamless exercise  however just one thing used to get to me was the lack of engine braking coming up to junctions etc i found i had to rely more on the brakes than the downshifts that a normal auto box does  but now i have adapted and its no problem.

It is whisper quiet and pulls like a train when i want it to with just a subtle roar as it accelerates away having said that i like my cars to be quiet all the time if possible.

There is one point though which is the primary reason for my post I thought when i got it " Yes Mark Levinson System " but i am not that impressed with it i dont know if i have it set correctly but with the DSP button in the rear speakers seem muffled if i switch it off it  the sound in rear comes on so I dont think theres any problem with the amp  i am getting on a bit and i do like the "Golden oldie Type" but i thought it would be better, i use original discs I have one MP3 disc in and i cant tell the difference between Normal Disc and Copied music i had a GS300 before this and i dont think The Sound is any different to the ML so could any one shed any light on this.

TIA

Robert

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KayCee said:

Hi all

its a year on since i bought the gs and as been trouble free in that time its returned good mpg i have not exactly checked it but as been in mid 30s just about all year.

I thought i would not get on with the CVT after reading all the stories but has been a seamless exercise  however just one thing used to get to me was the lack of engine braking coming up to junctions etc i found i had to rely more on the brakes than the downshifts that a normal auto box does  but now i have adapted and its no problem.

It is whisper quiet and pulls like a train when i want it to with just a subtle roar as it accelerates away having said that i like my cars to be quiet all the time if possible.

There is one point though which is the primary reason for my post I thought when i got it " Yes Mark Levinson System " but i am not that impressed with it i dont know if i have it set correctly but with the DSP button in the rear speakers seem muffled if i switch it off it  the sound in rear comes on so I dont think theres any problem with the amp  i am getting on a bit and i do like the "Golden oldie Type" but i thought it would be better, i use original discs I have one MP3 disc in and i cant tell the difference between Normal Disc and Copied music i had a GS300 before this and i dont think The Sound is any different to the ML so could any one shed any light on this.

TIA

Robert

Good to learn that you have had 12 months trouble free motoring Robert.. I do not understand your comment about braking as I find that there is ample engine braking if I shift the gear lever to the right, resulting in little or no driver braking required. Look it up in the Handbook.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Thanks Robert. I've not long had my GS 450H and it's good to hear positive feedback from another owner.

I was sceptical about the CVT too, the press reports seem to hate them. I don't have any issues with it and with so much power on tap the engine rarely sits at high revs for very long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KayCee said:

Hi all

TIA

Robert

If you want to use more engine braking use the manual up/down shift on the gear lever. This gives a large amount of "engine braking effect", but actually uses regen to put the energy back into the high voltage Battery. Watching the KW meter as you change down will show large amounts of energy going back to the Battery.

This is particularly useful on down hill stretches of road where you do not wish for your speed to increase.

John

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments i did figure out that i could use the S position for the gears for braking but my point was leaving it in drive did not operate like the torque convertor lock that is on a conventional auto box i didnt think that it would of course and i have adapted my driving style to compensate this it was the ML that as me flummoxed i have since read that if you use dvd A audio discs it gives better sound but as i dont spend all my time now in the car its probably not that inportant i was just saying it didnt seem to be all that much better than standard stereo maybe i am getting on in years my ears cant distinguish the changes

Robert

Hi Robert, could be the nail on the head ref the ML system..

I bought an IS250 with the best ML system back in 2009, drove it for 4 yrs then after 2 year german motoring last year bought an IS300h and opted for the ML system again only to find out it was much flatter in noise, not as clear and intense as in the 250.I just gave up fiddling with the settings and only use it for the news now.

Beginning of the year i was forced by my wife to do a hearing test and to my shock the result was that it will be likely that in 2 to 3 years time i will need some form of hearingaid..

So, maybe it is me and not the ML system i was blaming haha. The older we get the more we appreciate comfort and silence.

Talking about age, i do have the opinion that the average age of " The Average Lexus Driver" is considerably higher than that of the competition. I sometimes think that with 55 i am amongst the younger ones out there. It is my impression only have not seen any demographic proof though.

A lexus is not for everybody..  

Well  I Never Thanks to ZOTTO (Luigi)

I had set the sound system for the DAB Radio And thought it was the same for all  Sources What a Lemon I am

and me who prides himself reading all manuals for everything after setting everything for the different sources I am amazed at the difference it as made eg on the CD I have put a bit more rear on and it sounds like I am in a Concert Hall Wow what a difference it as made the original settings were all over as i said i thought it was one setting for everything

Still cant get over how  i have missed that individual settings

Thanks all who took the time to answer i am grateful

Regards Robert

• Like 1

Besides, confronting ML in this gen GS and former one, I found slightly better the 2nd ; probably they use different class amplifiers, paying more care to energy sparing to nowadays version or may be it's a matter of digital audio treatment.

On 25/02/2017 at 0:51 PM, dutchie01 said:

Hi Robert, could be the nail on the head ref the ML system..

I bought an IS250 with the best ML system back in 2009, drove it for 4 yrs then after 2 year german motoring last year bought an IS300h and opted for the ML system again only to find out it was much flatter in noise, not as clear and intense as in the 250.I just gave up fiddling with the settings and only use it for the news now.

Beginning of the year i was forced by my wife to do a hearing test and to my shock the result was that it will be likely that in 2 to 3 years time i will need some form of hearingaid..

So, maybe it is me and not the ML system i was blaming haha. The older we get the more we appreciate comfort and silence.

Talking about age, i do have the opinion that the average age of " The Average Lexus Driver" is considerably higher than that of the competition. I sometimes think that with 55 i am amongst the younger ones out there. It is my impression only have not seen any demographic proof though.

A lexus is not for everybody..  

I drive a GS and Im 44. I bought by IS at 41, A fellow GS owner at work is similar age to me, A CT owner is mid 30's...

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my gs450h at 33 on Saturday just gone. I'm 34 now though, so the car is ageing me quickly! (That's my excuse anyways)

Always been old car wise, was driving an xjr jag at 20 lol :yawn:

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 8:21 AM, KayCee said:

I would point out that with previous generations Lexus (GS and IS) the standard non-ML system was so good it was always hard to tell difference. I had IS250 with and without ML and for the style/source of music I am listening I could not tell any difference. ML seems to have more clarity if source is original and good quality CD, but that is about it... very minor improvement for £3000 it costed.

As such, I believe if you can buy car with ML at no extra costs.. it obviously bonus, but it is not worth extra money in previous Gen cars.

However, Lexus realised that and in current Gen and put totally awful standard system - 6 cheap speakers worse then system you would get in sub-compact cars for £10k... so ML or at least premium became very important upgrade. I suggest you try comparing your ML with new GS without ML and you will start appreciating the sound you have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Upex said:

Bought my gs450h at 33 on Saturday just gone. I'm 34 now though, so the car is ageing me quickly! (That's my excuse anyways)

Always been old car wise, was driving an xjr jag at 20 lol :yawn:

Well, have a look at this:

We are definitely in the minority here age wise.  However, I think that just shows that we have developed wisdom at a younger age. :smile:

• Like 2

Has anyone noticed that if you set the cruise control "not radar distance control" to say 30 MPH, and then accelerate above that speed to say 50 or 60 MPH on removing your foot off the accelerator the car has much more engine braking than if the cruise was not set.

In the area I live I set the cruise when going through villages so that I know i'm not speeding. On leaving a village I accelerate to the posted limit, and decelerate at the next village. This is how I found this phenomena.

John 

2 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Nope, I only engage cruise selectively. But I'll give this a try.

When the car slow down to say 30 again, does the car regen too?

Yes it regens heavily while slowing.

John.

• Like 1

Okay, I guess that makes sense. Is the heavy braking/regen uncomfortable? If I remember I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Although...maybe it's not ideal for Battery boosting to heavily brake/regen for a short period vs a milder and longer period of brake/regen?

The braking effect is not uncomfortable, but noticeably more braking. Probably ideal for descending a winding mountain pass where you accelerate on a strait stretch then wish to slow for a bend. Of course if you touch the brakes it cancels cruise.

John

• Like 1