Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grrrrr.....Grrrrr......a thousand times Grrrr!!!!

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

A.  You said - "If the body shop make a mess, you don't pay for the job and you make them put it right at their cost, not yours". That statement implies you haven't paid for the job at all.

B. Still doesn't mean anything - the same guy who worked on their car might have left, or someone else could be working on it. They might even be having a bad day and screw up or think "ahh that'll do". There's a reason I say this and its because everyday I get told "Oh no, he doesn't have any allergies". Check the record and hey ho, allergic to penicillin

A. That's correct. I don't pay if the job is not up to standard. Once the job is done correctly, I pay the agreed price. Do you do otherwise?

B. I'm nearly 60 years old and personal recommendation hasn't always been possible (like in my examples above) or hasn't worked as it should, but it has worked and paid off in a good 85-90% of situations so I'll stick to my tried and tested methods.

Hmm provided it is just a SMART repair (not a whole bumper respray) then probably £300-500.

The below was recently sorted by a local bodyshop for £150. Another place wanted to do the whole bumper for £200 but the SMART repair has turned out just fine (can only see it if you shine a bright light on it and look at it from the right angle). That said in our case it was a hit and run and the Micra isn't too precious. I'd be going for a full job if someone else was paying.

20161214_173710480_iOS.jpg

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

A.  You said - "If the body shop make a mess, you don't pay for the job and you make them put it right at their cost, not yours". That statement implies you haven't paid for the job at all. 

B. Still doesn't mean anything - the same guy who worked on their car might have left, or someone else could be working on it. They might even be having a bad day and screw up or think "ahh that'll do". There's a reason I say this and its because everyday I get told "Oh no, he doesn't have any allergies". Check the record and hey ho, allergic to penicillin

Put the shovel down and walk away from the hole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colin79666 said:

Hmm provided it is just a SMART repair (not a whole bumper respray) then probably £300-500.

The below was recently sorted by a local bodyshop for £150. Another place wanted to do the whole bumper for £200 but the SMART repair has turned out just fine (can only see it if you shine a bright light on it and look at it from the right angle). That said in our case it was a hit and run and the Micra isn't too precious. I'd be going for a full job if someone else was paying.

20161214_173710480_iOS.jpg

I'm no expert in this field so I may well be wrong, but I think you're getting a bit confused. As far as I'm aware, SMART repairs are done by companies such as Chips Away, where they come to you and the repair is done in an hour or two. They are an alternative to 'traditional' body shops where you usually have to leave your car with them for a couple of days. Like I say, I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected, but that's my understanding of it.

35 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

I'm no expert in this field so I may well be wrong, but I think you're getting a bit confused. As far as I'm aware, SMART repairs are done by companies such as Chips Away, where they come to you and the repair is done in an hour or two. They are an alternative to 'traditional' body shops where you usually have to leave your car with them for a couple of days. Like I say, I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected, but that's my understanding of it.

Done at a body shop that does everything from full resprays own to scratches. SMART is just a technique for respraying a small/medium area and blending it in, avoiding a full panel job. Doesn't mean a body shop don't do the same thing. The big chains are after the insurance jobs so as more likely to go the full panel route where as a good Indy will offer SMART at a fraction of the cost, although the end result might not be as perfect - depends on the damage, prep and skill of the repairer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colin79666 said:

Done at a body shop that does everything from full resprays own to scratches. SMART is just a technique for respraying a small/medium area and blending it in, avoiding a full panel job. Doesn't mean a body shop don't do the same thing. The big chains are after the insurance jobs so as more likely to go the full panel route where as a good Indy will offer SMART at a fraction of the cost, although the end result might not be as perfect - depends on the damage, prep and skill of the repairer. 

Aha, fair enough my friend, cheers :biggrin:

I have just been up to my local car body repairers.  When I got there I remembered them setting up in 1980, still the same two brothers and so they are very well established.

They told me that they will repair and respray the whole of the bumper, they don't do patch repairs apparently, for the princely sum of £240.00.  They also told me that following the repair, they will apply 3 primer coats, 3 undercoats, 3 top coats and 3 coats of lacquer.

I will get another quote and I will also ask Lexus to quote for comparison purposes.

I will keep you informed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

I have just been up to my local car body repairers.  When I got there I remembered them setting up in 1980, still the same two brothers and so they are very well established.

They told me that they will repair and respray the whole of the bumper, they don't do patch repairs apparently, for the princely sum of £240.00.  They also told me that following the repair, they will apply 3 primer coats, 3 undercoats, 3 top coats and 3 coats of lacquer.

I will get another quote and I will also ask Lexus to quote for comparison purposes.

I presume they're also going to blend the bonnet and wings in?

1 hour ago, Martin F said:

I don't think there will be any need on red. 

Its a metallic paint though with an insane amount of gold flake in it - would it not look a different shade in certain lights?

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

I'm no body shop expert but I can't see the need for this.  They are going to spray the whole of the front apron so this will go to the first 'seam', if they included the bonnet and the wings this would merely go to the next seam and so would it then become necessary to do the whole car! These aprons, as far as I know, are made from some sort of plastic and so isn't there always a difference as to how paint 'takes' on that as opposed to the metal bodywork.

If you see some old red cars around where the paint has faded to a lighter pink colour, the aprons are nearly always closer to the original colour.  I've only ever seen this with red cars, never any other colour.

Whilst on the subject of paint, does anyone know where I can get confirmation of the Mesa Red paint code please?

Many thanks.

17 hours ago, rayaans said:

Back up the thread someone said to put down the shovel and step away from the hole - I reckon that's good advice. There's no need whatsoever to do that or you'll soon have a full car respray!

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Whilst on the subject of paint, does anyone know where I can get confirmation of the Mesa Red paint code please?

Sorry, I haven't got time to check so this may or may not help:

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Lexus/

3 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Whilst on the subject of paint, does anyone know where I can get confirmation of the Mesa Red paint code pleas

I think you'll find it on the inside of the front door frame of your car on the driver's side.

4 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

I'm no body shop expert but I can't see the need for this.  They are going to spray the whole of the front apron so this will go to the first 'seam', if they included the bonnet and the wings this would merely go to the next seam and so would it then become necessary to do the whole car! These aprons, as far as I know, are made from some sort of plastic and so isn't there always a difference as to how paint 'takes' on that as opposed to the metal bodywork.

If you see some old red cars around where the paint has faded to a lighter pink colour, the aprons are nearly always closer to the original colour.  I've only ever seen this with red cars, never any other colour.

Many thanks.

Thats not blending. Blending is where the colour around the bumper is matched so it doesn't look a different shade in different angles. 

The only reason I ask is because when my IS300h went in for repair, the bumper was replaced because it was cracked and part of the fenders and bonnet were blended in so it doesn't look different from different sides. You can get away without blending but the metallic flake direction needs to be aligned with the direction of the flakes

Now I dont know why some bodyshops blend and others dont but here is a bumper replacement without blending. The bumper looks lighter although its the same colour. 

IMG_0134_2.jpg

2 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Back up the thread someone said to put down the shovel and step away from the hole - I reckon that's good advice. There's no need whatsoever to do that or you'll soon have a full car respray!

I think its time you put your shovel where the sun don't shine and stop getting involved in areas where your expertise doesn't lie. 

Blending doesn't involve a full car spray - I suggest you read up on this before making further comments

Geoff,

take a look at this topic: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/109997-insurance-or-not/#comment-974664

You will see that our RX suffered very similar damage recently (except that the culprit did not leave his/her details). The "official" Lexus workshop said that the bumper needed replacing (approx £1000), however my local dealer got the work done by a local indy for £400 + VAT, and this also included repair to the rear bumper.

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

I think its time you put your shovel where the sun don't shine and stop getting involved in areas where your expertise doesn't lie. 

My my, you are a spitty little kitten aren't you :biggrin:

Fair enough, I hold my hand up and admit that I didn't know what blending refers to and, like the OP it would seem, I assumed that it meant that they do the bumper (where the damage is), then move onto the bonnet and the wings, which would then have a knock-on effect  to the next panel along and where would it all end? I now know that they sort of 'overspray' and put a little bit onto the bonnet and wings then 'blend' that in to the existing paint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

My my, you are a spitty little kitten aren't you :biggrin:

Fair enough, I hold my hand up and admit that I didn't know what blending refers to and, like the OP it would seem, I assumed that it meant that they do the bumper (where the damage is), then move onto the bonnet and the wings, which would then have a knock-on effect  to the next panel along and where would it all end? I now know that they sort of 'overspray' and put a little bit onto the bonnet and wings then 'blend' that in to the existing paint.

Exactly! See, we all learn something new everyday!

On 26/02/2017 at 0:08 PM, bluenose1940 said:

I am pretty sure that the chap wants to deal with me direct rather than go through his insurance.  I am going to try to source a reputable bodyshop in the area and get a quote from them, if I can find another couple that come recommended I'll get quotes from them too.

I think you should get it done from Lexus. This is your own car that got hit due to no fault of your own.

I agree if it is not going to affect your own insurance premium.

As with regards to workshops: Lexus may not have its own bodyshops, but it uses Lexus approved bodyshops. This means that the work will be carried out to Lexus' exacting standards, and that if the work has not been carried out to their satisfaction, they will send the car back to the bodyshop before you even get to see it. It also means that, if you are not happy with the work, you will be dealing with your usual dealer who will be far keener to keep you happy than any bodyshop staff will.

In my instance (see above), I had to pay for the repair myself as I did not want to go through my insurance. I still went to Lexus, who got a quote from their regular bodyshop. I was not happy with the quote, which I deemed far too expensive (they wanted to replace the bumper) and Lexus obtained a second quote from a different bodyshop that they use for "older" cars and non-insurance jobs. The work was carried out and inspected by Lexus before they handed it back to me.

Oh, and I had a brand new NX as a courstesy car for a week while my own car was being repaired.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, bluenose1940 said:

UPDATE

In addition to the above quote, I have now had one from Lexus and they have quoted me £219.47 and this is for a 'Blend' repair and not for a re-spray of the whole bumper.  Having read all of the responses to my original post in this thread, this has come as a bit of a surprise, No suggestion from them of a massively hiked quote.

I am just waiting fro one more quote from a SMART repairer in Exeter.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

UPDATE

In addition to the above quote, I have now had one from Lexus and they have quoted me £219.47 and this is for a 'Blend' repair and not for a re-spray of the whole bumper.  Having read all of the responses to my original post in this thread, this has come as a bit of a surprise, No suggestion from them of a massively hiked quote.

I am just waiting fro one more quote from a SMART repairer in Exeter.

I bet Lexus have been following this thread and thought, "We'll surprise these clever buggers". :lol:

• Like 2