Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scotland Road Trip

Best month for Scotland Road Trip NC500  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which month is your preferred time to do the trip? Once a month is chosen then a separate poll will select the timing in that month.

• March
    • April
    • May
    • June
    • Later than June

• 7 months later...

I have just completed a very successful 2300 mile round trip from Kent up to and through and around Scotland and back ....  in 16 days  .......  got back 10th September

BRILLIANT and little affected by the midges ....  brilliant weather, brilliant Grand Touring in the best grand touring car ever ...................  many more tourists this time than 5 years ago when we did a similar trip ................  my Lexus was probably the one and only Ls400 on the roads there and most certainly the oldest car by many many years.

Mostly German and Dutch drivers of cars, camper vans, touring caravans and motorbikes too ............. a little pressure on ad hoc accommodation but every night was spent somewhere ranging from ok, to mostly good to some really really outstanding.

As I say, a brilliant trip

Malc

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

I have just completed a very successful 2300 mile round trip from Kent up to and through and around Scotland and back ....  in 16 days  .......  got back 10th September

BRILLIANT and little affected by the midges ....  brilliant weather, brilliant Grand Touring in the best grand touring car ever ...................  many more tourists this time than 5 years ago when we did a similar trip ................  my Lexus was probably the one and only Ls400 on the roads there and most certainly the oldest car by many many years.

Mostly German and Dutch drivers of cars, camper vans, touring caravans and motorbikes too ............. a little pressure on ad hoc accommodation but every night was spent somewhere ranging from ok, to mostly good to some really really outstanding.

As I say, a brilliant trip

Malc

Any pics Malc?

9 hours ago, Flytvr said:

Did this trip ever happen?

No, it never happened.  Most people couldn't commit until after June.  I couldn't go any later than May as the wife was due to give birth in June.

I would certainly still like to do it next year but as you all know, getting everyone to be able to do the same weekend is hard.

Maybe if we start to plan now it gives people more notice??

What you guys think, still interested in doing this??

I'm willing to organise a trip

• Thanks 1

I just did it at the beginning of September, no midges, only bad weather was going over Applecross, couldn’t see more than a few yards in front of you.

Everywhere else was brilliant including the B&Bs we stayed at.

6 nights, 1300 miles, hardly any traffic, mostly Dutch as mentioned above.

i could have turned around and done it again.

83B9413A-02A7-4036-A1A2-7C08AF4121D8.jpeg

• Like 3

I might not make the nc500 trip but would be great to meet some of you lads if you're pit stopping anywhere near Perth and heading up the A9. Would be an interesting convoy.

7 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Toothy off this forum did a trip up there with friends recently nice pics nice cars !

I did indeed! Back in June.
Second year in a row I've done it. A lot more tourists this year compared to last. Possibly due to the weaker pound making it more attractive to Europeans?
Highly recommended though! Super fun in a group.

I love Scotland, some of the roads are epic, I have never done the NC500 although I have covered parts of it, the fact that it is becoming popular puts me off a little, I don't want to drag my car over 400 miles to find I am stuck behind a Dutch registered VW camper for mile after mile and when I do manage to pass him 5 miles up the road I am caught behind another one, I know this may not be the case and also that everyone travels at their own pace, however for me it is a bit too far to experiment with,.

I hope any of you that do try it have a great time.

@Mark G Agree with all that it's not for me being stuck repeatedly behind 'camper van Dan' I'd prefer to go into Europe preferably somewhere sunny....... perhaps with relatively traffic free roads...... still with mountains.......where the roads are littered with GOPRO Cameras ripe for the picking 😂

So Andorra it is then who's up for that then 🤗

Big Rat

• Like 1

or maybe try the Dolomites, they truly are FABULOUS to drive around, up and down and across etc ............... Italy is stunning mostly, driving is challenging too ............ but the Dolomites are world class and amazing ........ I can personally vouch for that trip

Just take care with the time of year .....  bit like the Pyrenees I guess ........  I've only been along, around, across those in bloody wet misty weather .......  and take care re any political fall-out right now too maybe in Spain

Just go do something with these amazing cars, the world's out there to explore ....  I have done and will hopefully continue to do so ..............  in my ancient Ls400 though :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 2

@Malc Sounds amazing driven round a fair bit if Northern Europe but not been to Italy or southern France definitely on my bucket list.

Do you have / you ever used the channel tunnel are there still issues there with disruption I'm curious as going over that way from here puts you on the correct side of France to go south and maximise the time in France/Italy.

Big Rat

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

That’s next on our list big rat . Sound good 

You’ll be able to slip through Europe unnoticed in your Orange RCF 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1