Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scotland Road Trip

Best month for Scotland Road Trip NC500  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which month is your preferred time to do the trip? Once a month is chosen then a separate poll will select the timing in that month.

• March
    • April
    • May
    • June
    • Later than June

Hi this is truly a great trip ,I completed it in april this year with a group of MX5 owners .The information we received was that it is now getting very popular in the main summer months which makes progress slow over some single track sections , also accomodation can be difficult in some areas .Want a great testing run ? a couple of years ago we did the old Route des Grande Alpes  from Annecy down to Menton on the Italian border , very challenging and exciting  check it out

Dave

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, true blue said:

Hi this is truly a great trip ,I completed it in april this year with a group of MX5 owners .The information we received was that it is now getting very popular in the main summer months which makes progress slow over some single track sections , also accomodation can be difficult in some areas .Want a great testing run ? a couple of years ago we did the old Route des Grande Alpes  from Annecy down to Menton on the Italian border , very challenging and exciting  check it out

Dave

Yes done that route and some really 'hairy scary' minor roads in the Alps but the only advantage of the Alps over the Scottish Highlands that I can think of for V8 owners is there are so many enticing long tunnels for exhaust sound clips.:yes:  

Late September/October is a good time to do the NC500 but I was up there earlier this year late August to early September and rarely got stuck behind anything. You do have to watch out for the odd stray sheep, cyclist, camper-van and highland 'coo' but most of the time it's just awesome motoring. With ample road to get by or passing places to permit good progress.

Start where you like but officially it's here at Inverness.

View from the top of the castle looking back down the river Ness towards Nessie.

85015.jpg.1bb68b82661bdf01509c9011a21456e6.jpg 

Some have accused the Highland Police force of turning a blind eye to car clubs enjoying the NC500 route but they strenuously deny it. I took this pic in the castle car park just after they unveiled their latest high speed interceptor pursuit car. 

85021.jpg.db38b4d098c1b1495f291331c3053612.jpg

Evidence that even in August you can have the place to yourself. (the ever so popular with car clubs - Kylesku Bridge)

85019.jpg.9b457d17171a0e1918996e686a1c4ea6.jpg

Though on closer inspection of the tarmac, it seems either Rusty or Ken Block may have been there ahead of me.

85025.jpg.f3273f6164b130d8909c70fc8a7e3f48.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

whenever I cross to Europe I go on the ferry, somehow it's the start to the holiday, having a cruise .......... :wink3:

Malc

@Malc Yes always used the ferries myself in the past the French jobs !

Big Rat

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links