Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 - Broken Key

Hi all,

looking for some help and apologies if this topic has been covered before but I'm getting lots of different advice from garages near me.

my black master key for my RX300 is broken in that the case has cracked and the key and the piece of plastic it sits in has broken away. I've taped the casing up and can use the remote and key but it's not going to last much longer.

i have purchased a new uncut key off eBay with the complete plastic case. Is it possible to get the key cut and move the remote element into the new casing and everything work okay. I've been told it's not poosible to do that but why would companies sell the uncut key and plastic casing with the 3 holes if it wasn't possible.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks all!

No, it's not possible to do in the sense that if the key you got from eBay only cost you a couple of quid, the likelihood is that the metal is very hard and can cause damage to expensive key cutting machines, hence why most places won't do them. Also, they don't like cutting things that they haven't supplied.

However, all is not lost because this guy on Ebay will sell you an empty case that you put your own electronics into and he'll also cut the blade to either your key code if you have it or a photograph of your existing key.

I've no affiliation with this guy, just a very satisfied customer :yes:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tayaste said:

Only the coding and remote function needs work. 

How do you drive the car if it won't go in the ignition barrel as happened when I had a cheapo eBay one cut locally? Well, to be precise, it may have gone in if I'd forced it but I didn't fancy doing that just in case it LED to further problems.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm going with the eBay shop recommended by Sorcerer above.

Just one more question. Can the key open and close the doors and start the engine without the electronic remote. I ask as when the Battery has run out before I've been able to use the car via the key?

Thanks all.

• Like 1

You can use it to manually lock/unlock the doors but I doubt you'd be able to start the engine due to the immobiliser - you'll need the electronics to deactivate that.

I always keep a couple of spare batteries around, both in the car and in the house, purely for that reason.

Thanks Sorcerer. That's what I thought but every now and then I can't lock the car with the remote so I have to use the key to lock the doors. When I open the car I again use the key and the engine always starts without a problem. The only time the alarm goes off is if I locked the car with the remote but then open the doors with key and start the engine with the key. The alarm goes off for about 30 seconds and then stops and I can drive the car. Confused? I am :-)

1 hour ago, Michael Hurn said:

Thanks Sorcerer. That's what I thought but every now and then I can't lock the car with the remote so I have to use the key to lock the doors. When I open the car I again use the key and the engine always starts without a problem. The only time the alarm goes off is if I locked the car with the remote but then open the doors with key and start the engine with the key. The alarm goes off for about 30 seconds and then stops and I can drive the car. Confused? I am :-)

Aha, yes, I can see the logic in what you say. I suppose that if you lock the car with the remote then it will arm the alarm and immobiliser. If you then try to unlock with just the key, not the electronics, then it will trigger the security systems. If, however, you just lock with the key, the security systems aren't armed, so yes, you can then drive away.

The problem would come if you lock remotely but then the Battery dies and you have to unlock using only the key.

• 4 months later...

I can highly recommend www.keytrader.co.uk   They have just cut a new key for my Lexus RX400h (2009 model) after the plastic key shell totally disintegrated.  I'd tried to order a replacement on eBay but the blank blade comes permanently attached to the plastic key shell, and my blade worked perfectly it was just the plastic bit I was after.  Keytrader cut the key from a photo (how does that work!?) that I emailed them, and as soon as I inserted my remote control module into the new key shell I was able to open up car and start up the car.  Took 2 days, and all for a tenner including postage.  Now what would a Lexus garage have charged for that!  Grateful thanks to two members of this forum for this recommendation.  What a wonderful thing this Forum is.

Had the same problem with the spare key that came with my RX300.

Bought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS200-GS300-LS400-RX300-3-Button-Remote-Key-Shell-Case-Short-Blade/401138099983?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648. had the blade cut at a local shop, fitted a new Battery to the old fob and swapped it over, worked perfectly,

£15 total,and i have a spare Battery

The guy in the shop did say to be careful of the cheap ones from China, as the blades tend to be too thin or even hollow, making it impossible to cut, ;-)

On 26/02/2017 at 8:33 PM, sorcerer said:

No, it's not possible to do in the sense that if the key you got from Ebay only cost you a couple of quid, the likelihood is that the metal is very hard and can cause damage to expensive key cutting machines, hence why most places won't do them. Also, they don't like cutting things that they haven't supplied.

However, all is not lost because this guy on Ebay will sell you an empty case that you put your own electronics into and he'll also cut the blade to either your key code if you have it or a photograph of your existing key.

I've no affiliation with this guy, just a very satisfied customer :yes:

I got one off this chap. Spot on for the price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done this via the eBay and Timpsons (£15 per blade...) my local cobbler shops wouldn't do it, as mentioned in the thread the metal was/is believed to be to hard. 

All 3 of our keys were dead as the plastic had shattered, all done for £47 inc new batteries for each fob and i have the keys in the picture. They have all been tested and work fine, a little stiff to remove the first time from the ignition barrel but fine after that.

I'm quite pleased with the result.IMG_0379.thumb.JPG.245c7bfdee788f4d207f4eca2ec75c47.JPG

• Like 1

I'm having a key issue & the related advice is excellent thanks all. Unfortunately I've bought a car with only one key. Only now do I discover, as it was taped together, that it is the grey key, not the black one and therefore they cannot make/cut/code me a spare key, so I can only ever have one key. The dealer is telling me either they can sell me a shell for £50 or it'll be a few thousand to re-code everything. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

3 hours ago, MurrayN said:

I'm having a key issue & the related advice is excellent thanks all. Unfortunately I've bought a car with only one key. Only now do I discover, as it was taped together, that it is the grey key, not the black one and therefore they cannot make/cut/code me a spare key, so I can only ever have one key. The dealer is telling me either they can sell me a shell for £50 or it'll be a few thousand to re-code everything. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Probably best to call an Auto Locksmith locally and ask, they seem to offer a service (or the ones around here do) on the basis all keys are lost to get the car back on the road and you don't have that issue. This is when the car is immobilised.