Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. Today i removed my egr valve and cleaned it out, it was'nt as bad as i expected after 118,000 miles. Anyway, on start up after refitting, it felt like i had a misfire, but after a few seconds (probably 20 seconds), and a few kicks on the accelerator, it was running fine. Took it out for a quick blast up the local bypass (80 most of the way), it felt very good and sounded sweet. Just posting to see if there is anything i should be looking out for as this is the first time i have done this. Thanks for any replies. Chris.

5 minutes ago, Psychotic Madman said:

Hi all. Today i removed my egr valve and cleaned it out, it was'nt as bad as i expected after 118,000 miles. Anyway, on start up after refitting, it felt like i had a misfire, but after a few seconds (probably 20 seconds), and a few kicks on the accelerator, it was running fine. Took it out for a quick blast up the local bypass (80 most of the way), it felt very good and sounded sweet. Just posting to see if there is anything i should be looking out foras this is the first time i have done this. Thanks for any replies. Chris.

A speeding fine through the letterbox.   ;)

• Like 2

Not sure if I'm right on this, but here's my two cents. I clean my EGR every 5,000 miles. When you remove the EGR valve, there is carbon build up where it meets the inlet manifold. Some of these carbon deposits break off and fall into the manifold below. I also clean the inlet manifold port under the EGR valve but I try to use a hoover at the same time to minimize carbon deposits falling into the manifold. Anyway, once you start the engine, the carbon deposits are pulled through the engine and find their way to the DPF. As the DPF is a fine mesh filter, it can get clogged momentarily - hence the restricted ("misfire") feeling. Giving it a good blast for a few miles to increase the airflow and temp sorts it out for me. 

Been running great since i did it last week. Just found the cause of all the rumbling underneath when going over bumps, turns out to be the calipers, so getting them done next week. I can actually move them by hand, but only just.