Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Planned Brake Refurbishment - Request for Information

Having noticed a slight vibration on low speed braking a couple of months back and suspecting warped front discs, I had a good look all round.   The front discs are certainly worn and the rears corroded/worn unevenly.   With the RX due its 100K service this year and wishing to avoid any other inflated Lexus bills, I have decided to replace discs & pads all round myself.   I have done this job on other marques in the past and am quite confident regarding the work required.    I have researched the unique characteristics of the RX on this forum & others.   Purchased the required genuine parts from Lexus Birmingham via e-bay, (£300 with free delivery,) ready for fitting when weather improves.

Whilst carrying out the job I intend to clean/inspect adjacent/associated parts including the parking brake & shields.   To date I have been unable to find an exploded diagram of the rear hubs, parking brake & mountings which I understand are on the shields.   I would much prefer to have such a diagram available before starting the job, (cos I`m paranoid,) and am hoping that any one of the very knowledgeable individuals on the forum can point me to such a PDF.  

Any other advice from members regarding the work would of course be welcome. 

• Like 1

I did mine just after I got it, the fronts are easy, you'll have no problems there. The rears will need a bit of thought as you will need to slacken off the handbrake shoes before you will be able to remove the rotor. Also one of my sliding pins had seized so I had to remove the carrier as well as the caliper. I'd get new ones just in case.

• Like 1

Peter,

Thank you for your reply.   These cars do seem prone to significant corrosion to the rear calliper slide mechanism, so your suggestion of having the necessary parts in hand prior to commencing the work has much merit.   My thanks.

Update.   New rear calliper slide pins & rubbers are £19 per side from Lex Birmingham.   Bit pricey.   As they are not handed, bought one set in case of need and will get another if necessary, (2 day delivery).   Thanks for the tip Peter.

• Like 1