Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone got a Terraclean on an is250

Not had a terraclean on my 250 but did have on a previous mercedes E220. Couldn't notice any difference at all afterwards but the car was low milage and serviced regularly. 

May be beneficial on a high milage vehicle perhaps but personally i would just fill up with shell nitro every few tanks to keep everything clean.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies,  the cost in Ireland is €160 in all the terraclean places, car is a 2007 and has 100k on it, also 95 petrol is all that can be got in this country, 

So make sense right ? lol 

I've spoken to others and they said avoid it.. 

I reckon on the age of the car and the fuel type being used for the last 10 years, i prob have a fair bit of carbon buildup already..

I'll book it in on monday afternoon and let you know how i get on.. 

Thanks again for giving me your 2cents..

This is the system that Ed China used on a Wheeler Dealers episode a few years ago?

Online opinion seems divided on the effectiveness of the process so I would be interested to hear your experience if you do get it done.

Are you planning to get your emissions/performance diagnostic tested before and after?

I'm interested to hear any feedback too.

I am also concerned about carbon build up but I don't think the standard Terraclean will help as it won't go near the area that the carbon builds up.
I'm hoping your feedback suggests it does a good job of clearing out injectors and such so gives a positive result.

Terraclean does have an addon to the normal process which is specifically for our Direct Injection engines but from my searching, not all Terraclean franchises have it

http://www.terraclean.net/product.php?id=2

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

This is the system that Ed China used on a Wheeler Dealers episode a few years ago?

Online opinion seems divided on the effectiveness of the process so I would be interested to hear your experience if you do get it done.

Are you planning to get your emissions/performance diagnostic tested before and after?

Hi bobmc, i may pop into my mechanic and see if he can test before and after emissions, depends on how busy he is though, otherwise i'll just hope lol.

The thing with carbon build-up is that.... it is continuous process. I mean you can take completely new engine and in first 5 miles it will accumulate some carbon build-up. That is normal. The thing is while driving you creating some build-up and at the same time burning it off. Even if you use premium fuel it is the same, just that process is slower due to fuel being cleaner and having additives to tackle this particular problem. There is no point to clean like cylinder (something everyone checks before and after as a prove of successful procedure) as it is as mentioned - carbon deposits there burns and accumulates at the same time.

If there is no particular problem with car cleaning procedure won't help. Cleaning cylinders will only last like 5 miles. The reason to use service like terraclean or similar is to clean places where carbon build-up cannot burn e.g. valve push rods, injectors, inlet manifold passages etc. which sits outside of high temperature cylinders and therefore carbon doesn't burn of them. That means that unless you have particular issue you won't see much difference. Obviously, it is not bad to do it from time to time and I would personally recommend save money on service like terraclean rather then wasting it on premium fuel which at best does just half of the job and would still require engine to be properly cleaned sometime. In my personal calculation it is wiser to spend £100 on terraclean once in two years than spend ~£250 extra for premium fuel for marginal results.

• Like 1

my old girl will hopefully chug along happily afterwards, and if i notice any difference, i may do it every 2 years or so,

But after 10 years i reckon there must be a fair bit, and since it's a known problem in this model especially, no harm and giving it a clean.

I'll come back on monday afternoon after i get it done and go for a bit of a drive, and let you guys know how i get on.

Indeed with the car age like ours 8-10 years, especially if engine was never cleaned properly before.... it is almost inevitable to have some gunk which can be cleaned, so it makes quite a lot of sense. This is obviously much more important in US where fuel is generally much worse quality, but you can see how it looks in video below (important part is when they start cleaning the head).

• Like 1

DI brings like 30% more performance and 20% more fuel efficiency comparing on previous generation of Toyota engines. So not only it makes 2.5l quite viable engine for heavy car, but relatively fuel efficient as well and compliant with Euro 4+ and equivalent regulation in US. The negatives it is more complex and expensive.

Well had the TerraClean De-carbonising service and Induction cleaning service done, and i notice the improvement straight away.

Smoother in first on take off, and more responsive all through the gears, 

Also notice before i had it done, if i put my foot down my mpg would drop, especially if i floored it.
Now when i do it it doesn't drop anymore and if i drive constant it did rise.

But time will tell over the next few weeks with the mpg.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone, if you have high milage, mine is at 103k and big difference, with less milage TerraClean guy says wouldn't it notice too much.

• Like 1

Thanks for updating us. How much was it for both treatments and how long did it take? 

I think I will start searching in the Bristol area and see if I can get both done (I'm on 91k)

Interested to know how much it was. I just called Avon Tuning who quoted £300 +vat for the Terraclean and Direct Injection clean.
That's more than I was expecting.

It cost me €220 in total and with that he knocked €30 off, time wise about 1.5 hours, 

I would definitely get it done again, but in 2 or 3 years time depending on milage. 

Maybe it's my imagination, but feel like a new car..  Happy out :)

• Like 1

That's about £190, much cheaper than my quote, I thought it was fixed price.
He told me about 4hrs. That's a long time to sit in a waiting room.

I can't imagine what would take 4hrs, I've watched the clips.

The place I enquired have a very good reputation.

MPG has definitely increased in around town, and still noticing how much perkier when driving around, averaging 31 in the city, now Cork isn't London, but i was usually getting around 28 to 29mpg.

And i'm drive more spiritley, is that a word? if not it is now :P

Since this is my first is250 i didn't really have anything to judge it buy, as my other cars were turbo models..

I liked it before, but now i love it..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links