Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is250 Owner - slipping clutch!

IS250_Beds

Just got my is250 used a few months ago and I noticed last week that the rev counter goes up a few k when accelerating on the motorway!

I figured the clutch is starting to go so I phoned up a local independent for a quote and they said the DMF needs replacing with the clutch for a total of £1300.

Not really what I wanted to hear after only owned the car for a short time :(

I am doing som reading and it seems the DMF is a weak link and that it can be replaced by a single mass flywheel to make it more robust.  I can't find any thing on this conversion anywhere so far and figured this would be the absolute best place to ask.

So a few  things

Is this a common fault?

Is it likely the clutch that's gone here, or could it be the DMF as well?

Should I replace the clutch or both the clutch and the DMF?  

Should I replace both with a new single mass and presumably the associated clutch & spring kit?  If so what do I use?

I have a Lexus is250 with a 57 plate.

Hope someone here can help me out a bit.

Clutch failure is not common, I assume you have an IS250 with manual transmission?

How many months since you bought it? (private sale or dealer?)

Does the IS250 even have a DMF? 

Yep, the manual IS250 does indeed have a DMF.

If you want to be sure the clutch is slipping, drive in it a high gear at near 1000rpm and put your foot down.  If the engine spins up too quickly, then it is time for a new clutch.

How many miles on it?  Unfortunately, clutch slippage is not a failure, it is simple wear and tear, so it is irrelevant where the car was brought from if it didn't slip at the time of purchase.

It is annoying that most modern cars with manual transmissions now have DMF's that wear out.  The most you would have to do with the old solid ones was give them a skim.

I wouldn't say that the flywheel is a weak link, rather that it is just designed to be replaced due to wear eventually.  As for if yours needs changing, it would depend on how worn it is.  When I had mine changed, it was quite worn out, but my car had almost 110,000 miles on it at the time.

I wouldn't recommend a solid flywheel conversion if you like your car to be smooth.  Modern drivetrains are designed with the shock absorbing qualities of the DMF in mind, so it may end up causing problems with things like engine mounts in the future if you covert it.

Normally, a worn out flywheel will cause some juddering, especially when moving off.  This is not always the case though, and it is because of the labour involved to remove the gearbox again to replace it in the future which leads most people to change it at the same time as the clutch.

If you don't mind waiting a little longer (and presumably the garage don't mind), you could always get them to remove the gearbox and have a look first?  Most places will now deliver next day on parts, so if they call and say it is knackered, you could always order one for the following day.  If not, get them to fit the clutch and leave it.

• Like 1