Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It depends which insurer you are with as to who they use - I had my old is200 screen replaced by AA as I was with them ... others use different companies but I did ask if the screen, at the time, could be fitted by Lexus and the installer said I would need to organize that through calling the insurer.

Another point - Lexus don't make screens so make sure you request the original part if they can get it...

Usually they use companies like Autoglass etc

Companies like Autoglass prefer to use the cheaper windscreens (obviously) unless you specifically ask for an original windscreen. At this point they'll either do it for the excess or they'll ask for extra money. 

Pay the extra money if you have to, get the original screen fitted, its certainly worth it. Much better quality, doesn't scratch as easy as replacement screens and they don't get chipped as easily either.

Also worth considering that auto wipers might be screwed up after fitting - the ones on my RX300 were after it needed replacement.

It depends on your policy, mine states that if I wan't to use my preferred glass repair shop I have to pay £100 excess.

I would say that insurers will normally use Autoglass (which is great company with loads of experience), however cheaper one might want to use some dodgy cheap repairers. 

One way or another the glass replacement should be like for like, so if it is heated, they must make sure they put heated one and it is working. As well mouldings are part of assembly and they must be replaced together with 10x clips. If the guy comes to replace windshield without mouldings and clips send him where he comes from.

To be safe I would tell my insurance exactly that - "I would like to note that I have heated windshields with automatic wipers which I would expect to work afterwards, therefore to save everyone's times I would request you to fit original part for compatibility, as well it is normal procedure to replace mouldings and clips as it is part of assembly. Please confirm you repairers will meet the requirements." - at this stage they cannot say no.. because all you are asking is like for like replacement and not to use your preferred shop. If they agree... all is good. If not however, I would still happily pay £100 excess and use Lexus instead. That is because mouldings are 2x£98.20 and clips are 10x£6.7+VAT, which means only the mouldings and clips will be 2,5 times more than excess, not to mention you would probably get better windshield.

Finally, one way or another I would check heating and auto-wipers after job is done. I am sure even person fitting it would do it, but just to be safe I would do it as well. And if they doesn't... the repairers should replace the windshield as many times as it takes to make them working again.

Its admiral

I can read on their website that if it were my choice of windscreen, they will only.pay 50 pounds........................

Am I getting it wrong or what... Linas what insurance have you go?

I was with Bell previously and now with Esure. Bell is part of Admiral Group so should have same rules.

1. For Bell it is £75 for replacement and they do not specify the rules for preferred shop, so I assume they won't allow shop of your preference, but have to fit it in the way which would guarantee it is like for like.
  2. For Esure they state, there is no excess for windshield, but if I use my preferred shop it will be £100 excess, which makes me feel they fitter will be very dodgy and probably using my preferred fitter woudl be only option anyway.

I would use insurance, but I would put pressure on them to make sure it is done to a Lexus standard. To be clear... who ever they use and how ever they do it:

• heaters should work
  • auto-wipers should work
  • they must replace moldings and clips

The glass quality is then the only variable, but again if it is tinted etc. form factory they should match it as well even if it is not genuine Lexus part.

• 3 weeks later...

Went with insurance. And I need advise now.

The windscreen fitted ok but the side mouldings did not. They tried fitting it but I think they might have been wrong part. I noticed they broke the blue clips during the process as it was just mot fitting. Then they used silicone to hold it in place.....

1 hour ago, jackcramerr said:

The windscreen fitted ok but the side mouldings did not. They tried fitting it but I think they might have been wrong part. I noticed they broke the blue clips during the process as it was just mot fitting. Then they used silicone to hold it in place.....

It sound like horror story - contact insurance again, they have to come back and do moldings again, they should fit lime a glow - remember they are there to prevent water seeping in between glue and windshield as well in the gap between windshield and A-pillar. If they are not correctly fitted, water can stay there and result in all kind of issues like mold, rust etc.

Very simply just say what you say above - "they fitted it, but broken clips and glued it with silicone (or probably more likely windshield sealant) which is not suitable for gluing and anyway not the right way to do the job", so they have to send them again to fix the issue -preferably different company. Did you raised it with the guys who did it?

autoglass

Yes. Told the guy. He put it in notes and said someone will come next week to see it again till the exisitng glue dries. 

But he gave me the idea that nothing much will happen and the next guy will do the same. Suggested I get lexus moulding and call him. Meaning, they will get same low quality moulds again even if they do it again. 

I kept the old one with me as samples. I think (my heart tells me) get these parts from Lexus. Nothing beats oem.

f-ing hell.

Wipers are screwed up. It just wipes even when there is no water no nothing. 

I have always seen, whenever I go for for non oem parts ... I get f ed in a@@@.

Couldn't find my wheel spanner else would have smashed the hell out of the wind screen. Yes, I am like this mad.

Sorry to hear that.... I believe all my worst predictions have somehow become real... I probably should stop predicting things...

Anyway I would be very pushy with insurance and tell them to either repeat all the work, listing: glued moldings and non operational automatic wipers and unnaceptable or pay for same work done by Lexus authorised company.

Thanks Linas

Its sometimes bad to know so much. Had I been an average brit, wouldn't even have a clue and not worry about this issue. 

I couldn't watch him justify how broken clips didn't matter... All coming to mind was how the hell did I fell for insurance and if there is a way to bring this whole system down to its knees. I am a strong opponent of insurance. I think thieves run it and thieves claim it. Paying 2k for what... then paying excess on top of it. And other folks in this paying 300 and claiming thousands.. A joke and a half and some more.

Rant over.

• Like 1

Just add - don't be afraid of insurers, you pay them arm and leg every year to make it right in situations like this. Obviously, it is most important to stay polite in any circumstances, but don't be afraid to go for ombudsman or even court if needed, because by being cheapskate they not fulfilling their duties.

1 hour ago, jackcramerr said:

f-ing hell.

Wipers are screwed up. It just wipes even when there is no water no nothing. 

I have always seen, whenever I go for for non oem parts ... I get f ed in a@@@.

Couldn't find my wheel spanner else would have smashed the hell out of the wind screen. Yes, I am like this mad.

Sounds about right from my experience of Windscreen claims - never again, going OEM all the time now.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Sounds about right from my experience of Windscreen claims - never again, going OEM all the time now.

The problem is that apparently not all insurances allows OEM anymore.. my one allows me to choose for £75... and that £75 would be well spend for going Lexus-OEM rather than allowing them to ruin the windshield and everything around. Sadly @jackcramerr didn't have such option.

I mean I really question legality of insurance if they ask you to declare each and single non-OEM part like rims etc. , but themselves they seems to prefer to fit non-OEM crap on your car which doesn't even fit... as in case it is their money. As such, I consider let them do it if they insist - but make sure they do it as many times as needed to do it right.