Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The RX has got a fight on its hand

But you've to admit that this car looks cool, if money is no object I will gladly have it as a second car even if it has to stay on my drive just to look at it every morning

I wouldn't say it's ugly but it's certainly boring and looks recognisable to anyone who ever saw the first Range Rover, which shows lack of design imagination to me.

Just my tuppence-worth of course :tongue:

• Like 2

As an ex-RRS owner, one of the reasons I looked elsewhere last September was the ludicrous price demanded to replace my 3 year old car with a new one of the same specification. Now we can all see that moving the RRS upmarket even further was to make a gap for the Velar (then unannounced).

A quick look at the LR configurator shoes a high spec Velar to be £75K vs £85K for a similar RRS. To my eyes the Velar looks better and will sell well thus confirming LR's marketing strategy.

Does it compete with the RX450h? Probably not as even a high spec RX comes in at about £60k and you have no chance of a discount on a Range Rover. I expect the depreciation on the Velar will be low for the first 3 years due to the demand and the "cachet" but bear in mind that LR have a bad reputation for releasing new cars half-developed and using customers as "beta testers" to get all the bugs out.  

• Like 4

Hi, I wouldn't touch RR myself.. useless build quality and worried about braking down.. since I have had Lexus, I've never been tempted by anything else

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks amazing especially the interior but i'm not sold on the sole use of touchscreens in an automotive application (nissan and tesla have been there before and have had criticism), I took a whirl on the configurator earlier today and managed to spec a v6 diesel version to over 90 grand which is insane. Then there's the reliability aspect which historically is poor. 

So it's a nice looking, ergonomically suspect, very expensive, potentially unreliable 4x4. Nah, if i want one of those i'll get a 6 month old full fat range rover or wait a couple of years until depreciation has taken the teeth out of the Lamborghini Urus's price thanks. For now i'll stick to my RX

• Like 1

Friends got an Evoque 18 months ago - it took 9 months to arrive and even then LR had mucked up the interior. Their cars are hideously over-priced and it's the worst kind of badge prestige. The Evoque is a horribly compromised design and I don't really get where this new one fits into the range other than, as others have said, by making room by changing the RRS. Still why would you get one of these over the Disco? That's what annoys me about LR these days. They had a perfectly good range with the Freelander, Disco, Defender and RR but by pandering to the urban chic crowd they've diluted what made the brand great IMO. 

To answer the question, though, no it's no competition for the Lexus. Completely different market.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 8:39 AM, Assa1974 said:

Friends got an Evoque 18 months ago - it took 9 months to arrive and even then LR had mucked up the interior. Their cars are hideously over-priced and it's the worst kind of badge prestige. The Evoque is a horribly compromised design and I don't really get where this new one fits into the range other than, as others have said, by making room by changing the RRS. Still why would you get one of these over the Disco? That's what annoys me about LR these days. They had a perfectly good range with the Freelander, Disco, Defender and RR but by pandering to the urban chic crowd they've diluted what made the brand great IMO. 

To answer the question, though, no it's no competition for the Lexus. Completely different market.

Hi Assa1974, I guess you may have misinterpreted my original post.  I was merely drawing attention to the design language expressed by LR in the Velar and comparing that car with the design of the 4th Gen RX (which I love very much and currently drive). All RR reliability problems and shoddy customer service and ridiculous prices are well documented , but my point in the thread  was solely to recognise that in the "Looks department" we Lexus enthusiasts should acknowledge that a tough looking competition has arrived. The Velar's interior alone instantly makes most 2016 cars look dated. Myself and most enthusiasts on this thread take into account more  factors than just looks when we come to make car purchase decisions, but am sure you and many others know that a sizeable Chelsea Brigade buy their cars purely on looks alone. 

I for one am on my 4th Lexus since 2007 and not about to switch any time soon but Lexus designers cannot ignore competition from the likes of this new RR, UK sales figures is enough testament. Cheers

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links