Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS is in at Lexus Birmingham for a 60k big service and MOT today. Just had a phone call to say both rear calipers are knackered and one of the brake pipes. Waiting for a phone call back on to see if the warranty will cover it. They priced the calipers are £265 ea fitted so I hope so! Not so sure they will cover the brake pipe though? We will see....

By knackered do they mean the slider pins are seized? Knackered brake pipe? How? Taking the callipers off carelessly? Seized callipers are usually replaced under warranty I think from reading this forum. If they do replace them ask for the old bits as they can probably be repaired. If you don't want to repair them somebody on here would and the callipers could be useful to someone else.

John

They classed them as seized. I think the pistons are corroded. Had a call back and the warranty has covered both calipers and the brake pipe. I think it actually failed the MOT on brake pipe corrosion.

Good point on asking for the old calipers back.

I've had my money out of the warranty. Aircon was rebuilt last year and now the calipers.

I'm glad that your repairs were covered under warranty.

Were your rear brake lines corroded at the end of the fixed line like this?

dd0ef7181c248cef8dbfe61514204675.jpg

The rear calipers get worked less on these Hybrids but to replace them seems excessive. Other cars suffer sticky sliders too, so it's not just this make/model that are affected.

I'm new to this model and would like to know if it's just the sliders or the main pistons (or both) that fail.

I intend to give mine a good once over soon.

16 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

As above its just the sliders  which cuase them to seize - might be an idea to lubricate these anually as preventative maintenance

It's a known problem and should be part of the annual service schedule.

7 hours ago, Farqui said:

I'm glad that your repairs were covered under warranty.

Were your rear brake lines corroded at the end of the fixed line like this?

dd0ef7181c248cef8dbfe61514204675.jpg

The rear calipers get worked less on these Hybrids but to replace them seems excessive. Other cars suffer sticky sliders too, so it's not just this make/model that are affected.

I'm new to this model and would like to know if it's just the sliders or the main pistons (or both) that fail.

I intend to give mine a good once over soon.

Yes, the brake lines looked a bit worse than yours though. I've been told that the calipers are really past it, not just the usual sliders. Pistons are scored as well but I agree usually its just the sliders as we had a IS before the GS and it suffered with sticky calipers cured by greasing the sliders.

Getting the car back later this afternoon. All covered by the warranty. Luckily we took out the warranty and service plan not long after buying the car.

• Like 1

If the pistons in the calipers are scored the rubber gaiter must have been damaged at some time. Normally the piston working area cannot be seen because it is covered by the gaiter.

John