Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drove about 5 hours last night and my wife said that there was an extremely hot patch on the tunnel next to her seat. If you put your hand down between the tunnel and the seat squab there was quite a large patch of heat. I tries the similar area on the driver side and although it was warm it was not as hot. I don't think it is anything to do with the A/C. I have only had the vehicle 3 weeks so am still getting used to it, but is this normal? Does any else have the same symptoms ?    

Might it be the heater pipework for the rear seats?

My GS does the same thing and gets hotter depending on your heater mode setting.

Maybe try flipping the AC to cold and see if the tunnel temp changes?

1 hour ago, SLACKBLADDER said:

If you purchased it from a dealer take it back  could be a number of things. Or take it to lexus ask for a diagnostic report. 

I was trying to avoid going to a Dealership, only to be told  'Yes Sir it does that'

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Might it be the heater pipework for the rear seats?

My GS does the same thing and gets hotter depending on your heater mode setting.

Maybe try flipping the AC to cold and see if the tunnel temp changes?

I believe my RX uses electric elements in the seats to heat them, and that the rear seats are not heated or cooled in any way

20 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I believe my RX uses electric elements in the seats to heat them, and that the rear seats are not heated or cooled in any way

Think he might have meant the cabin heater at the back, not the actual seats themselves :whistling1:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Think he might have meant the cabin heater at the back, not the actual seats themselves :whistling1:

AH ... not having sat in the back I wouldn't know. 

Does your RX have heater vents between the two front seats for the rear passengers? This is likely where the heat is going.

Like I said, play around with the different heater modes and set the AC on and see if the tunnel temp changes after 10-15mins.

Can't really say much about the RX450 specifically, but does the exhaust run anywhere near it?

I had an issue on another car years ago where a heat shield had fallen off one side, causing a warm spot.

Just a thought.

The rear air duct is something like this snorkel at the bottom/middle of this diagram of an RX center console.

b655cbdb873eeb788a4ed2aa0e36e912.png

After a few hours it'll get warm.  I only know as my heater was recently blowing all the air to the rear seats and I ended up popping the air rest up to feel some heat.  I'm glad there were no choc's in the arm rest :rolleyes:

Reference; https://parts.lexusofenglewood.com/auto-parts/2016/lexus/rx450h/f-sport-trim/3-5l-v6-electric-gas-engine/body-cat/center-console-scat/?part_number=5812348040

Mine is the same and there is nothing to worry about. I believe it is to do with the warm air being channeled to the rear passenger vents.I guess you would not notice it in another car, but because the tunnel is "suspended" in the RX450h, it is more obvious. If you feel the underneath of the tunnel, above the hollow at knee level (ahead of storage area between the two seats), you will find it quite warm there.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, sorcerer said:

Looks like it was from the heater, travelled the reverse journey Sunday afternoon and not a sign of any heat, worry for a new owner of a n RX450H after many years of owning an LS400 MK IV DHP.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links