Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Time to say farewell but happy memories

DJP

At the moment my ideal car , considering charging issues of a large capacity Battery, would be a GS Hybrid plug-in, with a EV autonomy of 50miles or more that permits daily use and nightly recharge, and petrol for longer journeys. or, having a second car to use for any necessity, a electric vehicle like Tesla to charge overnight everyday.

On Sat Mar 04 2017 at 8:58 PM, Martin F said:

Wow, a post about a Tesla and no Ganzoom ?  Is he ill ?

Don't worry as @DJPmentioned our Tesla Model X is due very shortly :). 

But unlike DJP we still will have a Lexus on the drive. 

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading an interview with the man who was head of Marketing for Lexus UK in 1990.

He said "The type of person who was buying a Lexus then was the type of person who is buying a Tesla today..."

There you go! I have sat in a Tesla and, I daresay, I am that "type of person". But I have too many Lexus models to get through first...! :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow, a stunning looking car. Very envious. My next car will be a plug in, but it will be some time before I do that. By then there will be a lot more choice and within my budget, sadly this one is not. I hope you enjoy the car, I am certain you will. 

Wow, a stunning looking car. Very envious. My next car will be a plug in, but it will be some time before I do that. By then there will be a lot more choice and within my budget, sadly this one is not. I hope you enjoy the car, I am certain you will. 

Thanks Goggy, I am very lucky to be able to afford one, and I'm sure that competition and improvements in Battery technology will reduces prices in the future.

I'm interested in your decision on the plug in for next time. Why not full electric, is there something in your driving pattern that rules out full EV?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Has anyone calculated the pence per mile of an IS300h v Tesla Model S including depreciation and servicing etc.

Just wondering on the man maths.....

That is an interesting question. However, I believe that the sum of money an individual is prepared to spend on a "new" car is fixed to a certain extent. How economical that car will be, will be down to the individual. Depreciation and running costs are big factors, but the amount someone will spend, I believe is set. Most buyers have a figure in mind before they look.

e.g.

BMW 3 SERIES 3.0 325i M Sport Highline 2dr  (59 plate, 84,000 miles)

Ford Fiesta 1.0T 100PS Titanium 5dr (65 plate 10,500 miles

Both cars cost £10,000 but running costs will be very different.

A quick look at FleetNews gives the IS about 60p per mile and the Tesla about 120p per mile. 4 years over 40,000 miles

Is the Tesla twice as good as an IS?

Only you can decide...

3 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

A quick look at FleetNews gives the IS about 60p per mile and the Tesla about 120p per mile. 4 years over 40,000 miles

Only you can decide...

I worked out our previous Honda Civic diesel cost 25p per mile to run for 90,000 miles - INCLUDING FUEL

I wouldn't swap our Model X for any other car on this planet, nice things in life cost money it's as simple as that :)

17 hours ago, DJP said:

Thanks Goggy, I am very lucky to be able to afford one, and I'm sure that competition and improvements in battery technology will reduces prices in the future.

I'm interested in your decision on the plug in for next time. Why not full electric, is there something in your driving pattern that rules out full EV?

I suppose I really meant either a plug in or full electric. Most of my journeys are of very short duration. I rarely do more than 20 miles a day, so a plug in that gives me 20+ miles on electric before I start using petrol would be nice, but yes, a full electric would be even better as long as it is cost effective. Full electrics tend to be pricier? I do go to my daughters house about once every 2-3 weeks which is a 160 mile round trip. But that is about as far as I do travel these days. 

Only you can decide...

That's interesting, I've never looked at that site. I do think@Spacewagon52 hits the nail on the head though, the headline sum of money is the critical part of the equation, irrespective of how more or less a car depreciates.

I don't know where Fleetnews get their figures from but I don't agree with the Tesla figure. My car has a guaranteed residual of 54% of purchase price after 4 years assuming 40k miles. A quick look at the Lexus configurator gives an IS300h F Sport spec'd up a residual of approx 33% after 42 months.

Ignoring fuel (which they also overestimated for the Tesla) and servicing which are small fry in the overall context, my Tesla cost about 80p a mile and the IS about 68p. That's not man-maths either!

And to answer your question, is the Tesla twice as good?

Based on the above it doesn't need to be for the financials to stand up.

I loved my IS300h F Sport but the Tesla is not twice as good, it's ten times as good IMO.

Utterly irrelevant of course if spending twice the headline sum is not possible, which I completely accept is the case for many for lots of reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1