Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Change in LC500h 0-100km/h time

talaipwros

4 hours ago, julian1969 said:

If i understand this correctly the new transmission in the hybrid is a PSD similar to the ones in existing hybrids with a 4 speed 'auto' box added on to allow better matching of engine / electric motor speed to road speed. I believe the hybrid GS has always had a similar setup with a 2 speed 'gearbox' in series with the PSD. Unfortunately I've heard worrying things about the reliability of this setup in the first hybrid GS, hopefully Lexus have addressed this.

No... not not really. It is indeed eCVT as in latest GS hybrids and it is pared with 4 speed auto for increased number of ratios. However, it will not be the same unit, just same type. Furthermore, it definitely doesn't have anything in common with current set-up in GS, nor GS has 2 speed auto-transmission pared with eCVT, not had in the past with CVT.... Confusing it with something mate... 

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

No... not not really. It is indeed eCVT as in latest GS hybrids and it is pared with 4 speed auto for increased number of ratios. However, it will not be the same unit, just same type. Furthermore, it definitely doesn't have anything in common with current set-up in GS, nor GS has 2 speed auto-transmission pared with eCVT, not had in the past with CVT.... Confusing it with something mate... 

Ummm isn't that what i said? 

the new transmission in the hybrid is a PSD similar to the ones in existing hybrids with a 4 speed 'auto' box added

If we're getting technical Toyota's HSD in all its forms uses a Power Split Device (PSD) which has nothing in common with traditional CVT gearboxes, there are no belts, just a planetary gear set. 

Also

In order to increase the functional range of E-CVT, powerful GS 450h and LS 600h models use an additional two-stage speed reduction device (see image below) behind the output shaft of the electric motor, which allows the vehicle to offer rapid acceleration, relaxed high-speed cruising and higher top speeds. This device is directly related to the Multi Stage Hybrid system that will be found in the new Lexus LC 500h.

from here 

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-gearbox-transmissions/

Do a search of the gs forums here , the oil pump for this aux gearbox has been the cause of some expensive repairs although there is a cheap fix now sorted for DIYers and indy garages - Lexus just replace the lot as usual.

Well... that is something new.. thanks for links.

Though still I believe making comparisons is slightly premature. Lexus won't spend millions on R&D just to copy exiting design and say that is "first transmission of its kind".... I agree eCTV part will be likely similar, but I am pretty convinced 4 speed auto will be completely new.

No worries fella, I'm sure (given the anecdotal issues with the 2 speed implementation) that the 4 speed aux gearbox will be a much improved design, although it's not the actual gearbox that had issues it was the oil pump bearing, a £7 part!

I think the 'first transmission of it's kind' statement is some marketing hyperbole for the press, technically it is the first PSD/e-CVT mated to a 4 speed transmission but the operating theory, stepping up / down the PSD 'ratios' for better performance / economy has been used by Lexus previously. 

At the end of the day though, the LC is going to be a monster of a car whether in hybrid, v8 or 'F' guise, I'd love any of them and in 10 years time may even be able to afford one :yes:

• Like 1

Considering inflation, LC costs just as much as SC which it replaces (BOE figure of new SC in 2001 + inflation = £94k today).... so looking at used at used SC prices it would be possible to predict that in 10 years time it will be worth ~ just over £6000. Contrary, unlike SC, LC might actually be nice car to drive and as such owners might prefer to keep it, which would increase the value.. the caveat is that this might result in more sales, more used cars and after all same value... 

Anyway Luxury+performance cars thend to depreciate quickly, so we might not even need to way for as long as 10 years (3-4 will do).