Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

iv had my 2010 gs 450h a few weeks now getting on really well with it couple of small things if any one can help

the sport mode what does it do doesn't seem to make any difference if its on or off also the afs headlights are they supposed

to turn when you turn the steering wheel thanks   

No sure if it was for all version of GS, but on mine one it changed the steering wheel ratio, stiffen dampers, and change throttle response.

4 hours ago, Fireblade1 said:

iv had my 2010 gs 450h a few weeks now getting on really well with it couple of small things if any one can help

the sport mode what does it do doesn't seem to make any difference if its on or off also the afs headlights are they supposed

to turn when you turn the steering wheel thanks   

The AFS lights should bend around a corner yes. They might be turned off but they aren't that obvious. You can try going to a dark area and turning the steering wheel from lock to lock and check if they move. 

AFAIK the Sport mode on the GS450h should give you better throttle response. Im not sure whether these also had the PWR button?

6 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The AFS lights should bend around a corner yes. They might be turned off but they aren't that obvious. You can try going to a dark area and turning the steering wheel from lock to lock and check if they move. 

AFAIK the Sport mode on the GS450h should give you better throttle response. Im not sure whether these also had the PWR button?

AFS can be switched on/off via the switch in the Control Panel accessed via the PUSH button to the right of the steering wheel.

Sport mode just gives me significantly more powerful acceleration and a firmer ride.

Regards

John

Robert,

In my 2007 version, Sport mode stiffens the dampers and sharpens up the throttle response. By sharpen up I mean a little movement of the pedal does a lot more than in normal mode. I don't know if the steering is altered.

Like you I wondered if the AFS was actually working because I can't tell. The lights that move are the dipped beams not the main beams so it is going to be easier to see if main beam is not on. I know my little platforms on which the dipped lamps are mounted can move both up and down and side to side. The dipped beams have a flat upper cut-off and this does not go up on nearside which makes it harder to spot sideways movement.

Are you happy with your dipped lights?

John

2 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Robert,

In my 2007 version, Sport mode stiffens the dampers and sharpens up the throttle response. By sharpen up I mean a little movement of the pedal does a lot more than in normal mode. I don't know if the steering is altered.

Like you I wondered if the AFS was actually working because I can't tell. The lights that move are the dipped beams not the main beams so it is going to be easier to see if main beam is not on. I know my little platforms on which the dipped lamps are mounted can move both up and down and side to side. The dipped beams have a flat upper cut-off and this does not go up on nearside which makes it harder to spot sideways movement.

Are you happy with your dipped lights?

John

there ok I had a mini cooper s with hid lights and they were much better

This surprises me slightly. I have a gs450 and the difference between normal and sport is huge. With both sport and power mode switched on the car feels like it's on steroids, it just wants to go at the lightest throttle where as in normal mode it's a much more laid back and lazy drive. If you think you can't feel any difference then I can only presume something isn't working correct because the difference is very noticeable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I notice the throttle is much more responsive/eager in PWR but Sport doesn't feel much different.

To be fair, I haven't tried Sport for that long so will try it for longer next time I'm out.

I do not have a 450 but I do have a GS430 and the sport button stiffens up the suspension adjusts the steering responce and the gears will hold on till the top revs are reached before changing up if you keep the accelerator pushed down , yours may well bring the electric motor into play to give extra power?

15 hours ago, Fireblade1 said:

there ok I had a mini cooper s with hid lights and they were much better

Interesting. The 450 HID bulbs are 35W and I don't think they are very good.

Bitprius also is not impressed and is investigating replacing them with a different bulb. I am waiting to hear the results of that trial.

John 

4 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Interesting. The 450 HID bulbs are 35W and I don't think they are very good.

Bitprius also is not impressed and is investigating replacing them with a different bulb. I am waiting to hear the results of that trial.

John 

I did alter my HID lighting set up, and reported my results but will repeat it here.

I fitted 55 watt D2S bulbs with suitable ballasts disconnecting the OEM ballasts. The OEM ballast run at a lower voltage. The difference is very noticeable lighting up the road in front of the car, but still having the same sharp cutoff as the OEM bulbs with no increase in glare to oncoming vehicles. D2S bulbs are readily available in the 55 watt size, and the 35 watt D2S gives out more light than the OEM D4S 35 watt bulb. The OEM ballasts cannot be used with either D2S bulbs.

Before the modification "on the very rural roads in the area I live" going from main beam to dip because of oncoming traffic was like turning the headlamps off, and driving on side lights. Now the grass verges and white lines can clearly be seen making in my opinion for a much safer setup.

The car passed it's MOT with the modified lighting without problems However since both the OEM D4S, and the replacement D2S bulbs are marked with the same "E" markings they both comply with the regulations.

I would recommend this modification to anyone that finds the OEM dipped beam inadequate as I did. I would "estimate" the light output increases by at leased 25% over the OEM lights.

Many vehicles using HID lighting use the same lens type light unit for dip, and main beam with a solenoid operated shield that moves in front of the bulb for dip, and away for main beam. Why Lexus did not use that system with the aditional main beam setup I do not know as this would have bean a proper twin headlamp setup. 

John. .

• Like 2

Back to the topic The sport mode on my car alters the throttle response enormously. Not quite so noticeable is the stiffer ride along with altered steering ratio, and stiffer roll bar settings giving less body roll in cornering. When towing my caravan the sport setting greatly improves or removes  the front to rear yaw effect setup by the van.

The headlamps only turn on dipped beam while moving above about 25MPH, and even then it is very subtle. 

John. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

Back to the topic The sport mode on my car alters the throttle response enormously. Not quite so noticeable is the stiffer ride along with altered steering ratio, and stiffer roll bar settings giving less body roll in cornering. When towing my caravan the sport setting greatly improves or removes  the front to rear yaw effect setup by the van.

The headlamps only turn on dipped beam while moving above about 25MPH, and even then it is very subtle. 

John. 

I concur with everything John states, except about towing with a caravan as I haven't got one! The difference in throttle response to me is very noticeable. I have in the past, whilst accelerating in sport mode, switched it back to normal. The needle on the power band almost immediately dropped from the 50 mark to 25 and the car ceased accelerating even though I hadn't moved my foot on the throttle peddle. In fact the car started slowing down! I know it is just an illusion but to me, in sport mode, the car feels like it is accelerating faster.

I use sport mode when driving in towns as I find the immediate response useful when pulling out of junctions or negotiating roundabouts. I haven't really used the power (PWR) button as I have never felt the need to. I believe in the owners manual Lexus advise it is used when driving on steep mountainous routes, but the part of Cumbria I live in it is very, very flat.

22 hours ago, Carl911 said:

This surprises me slightly. I have a gs450 and the difference between normal and sport is huge. With both sport and power mode switched on the car feels like it's on steroids, it just wants to go at the lightest throttle where as in normal mode it's a much more laid back and lazy drive. If you think you can't feel any difference then I can only presume something isn't working correct because the difference is very noticeable. 

it's due a service in June I took out an extended warranty when I bought it ill get them to look at it then 

5 hours ago, Britprius said:

John. 

On the alternative topic I think John (Britprius) has explained why neither I nor Fireblade1 have noticed the lights moving. Both are lights are not great and the effect is subtle.

With improved lights I may be tempted above 25mph on little twisty country roads on dipped beams and may then notice.

Thanks John for the tips on improving the dipped beams. I had missed that post.

John

The Sport button does make a noticeable difference, especially to the throttle.

I'd only tried it a few times whilst cruising as I thought it only affected the suspension. Wrong, with Sport set she takes off like a stabbed rat 😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to the manual the SPORT only firms the suspension, more of a 'normal'/'firm' switch. POWER gives it all the beans with a much improved throttle response and all available power. Think Low/Medium/High instead of Snow/Normal/Power.

Using both is advised if pushing along on twisty roads. NOT advised in the wet or poor road surface (potholes).

The regeneration also appears to be more active in POWER mode... Probably due to the more time spent braking after piling into corners harder!

Well that's my experience. 2009 Gs450h

On 06/03/2017 at 3:16 PM, Farqui said:

Does the 2010 model GS 450H only have a Sport and no PWR button?

image_15955.jpg

I got both PWR and Sport.

As for adaptive lights - I can see how they move on the curvy roads and it is not so subtle.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2017 at 2:52 PM, Britprius said:

John. 

When the Hybrid Battery is in top form sport mode is fantastic IMHO

Richard

• Like 2

Just now, hybridbatterysolutions said:

When the Hybrid Battery is in top form sport mode is fantastic IMHO

Richard

I agree the overtaking performance from say 40 to 70 mph is stunning.

John

• Like 2

I had a decent drive this weekend, so fiddled with the combos of these buttons. Sport definitely made a difference to throtal response, and not that mild, it's noticeably sharper and more eager to shoot off.

Id go as far as saying, from normal to sport made more difference than going from sport to sport plus power.

Apart from using more fuel, it's a button that should always be on. I'll be using it more now 😆

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Upex said:

I had a decent drive this weekend, so fiddled with the combos of these buttons. Sport definitely made a difference to throtal response, and not that mild, it's noticeably sharper and more eager to shoot off.

Id go as far as saying, from normal to sport made more difference than going from sport to sport plus power.

Apart from using more fuel, it's a button that should always be on. I'll be using it more now 😆

I find in sport mode on rural country roads my fuel consumption actually improves. I do a 50 mile trip on a regular basis over the last 28 years so I know every twist and turn along with the potholes, and hidden overtaking places. In sport mode I can use around 2 MPG less than in normal mode.

In the year that I have owned the car I have never been on a motorway with it. This is simply because there are no motorways close to where I live.

John

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I find in sport mode on rural country roads my fuel consumption actually improves. I do a 50 mile trip on a regular basis over the last 28 years so I know every twist and turn along with the potholes, and hidden overtaking places. In sport mode I can use around 2 MPG less than in normal mode.

In the year that I have owned the car I have never been on a motorway with it. This is simply because there are no motorways close to where I live.

John

I got no motorways either John, not 1 in our county and a good hour plus to get to closest in neigbouring county, so know what you mean (we only got a handful of decent dual a roads lol).

I can see the sport being better on fuel as in normal, when accelerating gently the meter is very low anyway, circa 10/15 mpg, but in sport it drops lower, say to 10ish, but your off the acceleration much soon as get to speed far quicker, thus less overall and more off pedal coasting following the acceleration.

However, when i found the difference, it was my right foot that caused the issues, as got over excited and took every opportunity to stab it quick. I must have a word with it and charge rent if it keeps it up 😃 averaged 16 on a bit I normally get 30 on, oups.

• Like 2

You must have a heavy right foot. Try taking off your boots. I get the mid 30's in my GS, 32 MPG is low for me. Where I live even dual carriage ways are rare. There is a section on the A49 going in to Hereford but it only runs for about 1/2 a mile before going back to single road.

When I was working I often came your way "well maybe once a month" as the company I worked for were based in Thetford.

John.

• Like 1